Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Letter to the Natural Resources House Commitee

I think one major point we're not discussing is the SRS project having only about a 35% success rate of poult production with no hunting done in the area. They aren't doing any predator control on that site and I don't believe they did any burning or other habitat improvement at that site. Yet still only 35% success while we have a statewide success of 22%, not much of an improvement.

So all this limiting of our hunting - morning hunts, afternoon hunts, tags, shorter season, etc. doesn't sound like it'll do much of anything. Based on the SRS results, limiting hunting isn't having a huge impact.

That being said, it still makes a lot of sense to delay the opener. But it makes absolutely no sense to limit the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    Yeah if they ban afternoon hunting, I'm gonna go from a conservationist and manager of one hell of a turkey population......to a poacher, real damn quick.
    Amen.

Based on the data I saw, delaying the opener beyond April 9th STATEWIDE is a no-brainer.

On a side note i just spent $800+ renewing hunting licenses for my son and i to be able to hunt the land we own, pay property taxes on and dump thousands of dollars into for wildlife and habitat improve. Fortunately we are in the deer quota program so get a pile of deer tags for $50 but $800+ to hunt our land is a swift kick in the nuts on a Tuesday morning. All because i live a few miles over the state line.
    Last edited by ShortMagFan; 08-08-2023 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortMagFan View Post
    On a side note i just spent $800+ renewing hunting licenses for my son and i to be able to hunt the land we own, pay property taxes on and dump thousands of dollars into for wildlife and habitat improve. Fortunately we are in the deer quota program so get a pile of deer tags for $50 but $800+ to hunt our land is a swift kick in the nuts on a Tuesday morning. All because i live a few miles over the state line.
    Sounds like you either need to A) fire off a strongly worded letter a representative that doesn't have a chance at getting your vote since you don't live in state, or B) move a few miles back across the state line in which case option A wouldn't be needed.

Either way I don't think this is an issue that snuck up on you.

I owned land in Tennessee for 15 years. A decision I made knowing it afforded me zero special privileges other than having a place to hunt. Paid all the OOS fees etc and kept on keepin on.

jwilliams is online now 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

turkey = Cormorant
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Imagine rooting for the govt to take away your ability to hunt a turkey in the afternoon....
    What is it you say?

No new laws, no new taxes
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    turkey = Cormorant
    Most folks enjoy eating turkeys..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Sounds like you either need to A) fire off a strongly worded letter a representative that doesn't have a chance at getting your vote since you don't live in state, or B) move a few miles back across the state line in which case option A wouldn't be needed.

I owned land in Tennessee for 15 years. A decision I made knowing it afforded me zero special privileges other than having a place to hunt. Paid all the OOS fees etc and kept on keepin on.
    You got any Tennessee turkeys? Asking for a friend....

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    You got any Tennessee turkeys? Asking for a friend....
    Had.

Late 90's and early 2000's they were like gnats. Sadly they have gone the way of the dodo just like the rest of the southeast.

Sold that tract 2-3 years ago.

I posted this on here because I value y'alls opinion. Despite what I like to think, I'm not always right. obviously almost all of you don't want afternoon hunting to be stopped and some of you have posted some valid reasons that I hadn't thought about. If I get to offer my input beyond the letter, I already sent I will be sure to point that out.

The increase in tag price and the voluntary conservation stamp I proposed is with the stipulation that it be used for the benefit of turkeys only. Representative Hixon was at the Orangeburg meeting and he pointed out that the $5 fee we are being charged now is only allowed to be used for turkey projects.

DNR did a survey after the meetings asking for input. I might be wrong, but I think they were going to do another survey after they have a chance to compile what they learned at the meetings. Whether they do or not, each and every one of you have the option and the right to make your opinion heard. If you agree or strongly disagree with anything I've written to our reps, make your opinion known to them. I may be completely disillusioned but the ones I meet at that meeting were more than willing to listen to what I had to say. Some of them agreed and some didn't but at least they know how I feel about the issue. That's about all I can do on that level but at least I know I tried.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

oh i'm well aware and have been doing it for years. Like you said its what i signed up for so really not a problem. I just like to bitch to rile up all you in-staters that complain about the OOSers especially since i contribute more to South Carolina wildlife than the vast majority of residents.

oh i'm well aware and have been doing it for years. Like you said its what i signed up for so really not a problem. I just like to bitch to rile up all you in-staters that complain about the OOSers especially since i contribute more to South Carolina wildlife than the vast majority of residents.
    Trackin'

We/they like to blame the trash on roads on yankees too. So there's that.

Trackin'

We/they like to blame the trash on roads on yankees too. So there's that.
    Since I live on “north” Carolina I’m a yankee and like to let empty corn bags fly out of the back of my truck

I bought both my youngins lifetime licenses so they won’t have the issue you’re having should they move OOS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Build a farm building and move your license. issue solved!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I bought both my youngins lifetime licenses so they won’t have the issue you’re having should they move OOS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah my dad didn’t do that for me and I rarely hunt my home state of Georgia any more

And given that my son hasn’t hunted a single day in North Carolina in his life I haven’t even bothered to see if that’s an option here

If they'll eat goose eggs, they'll eat turkey eggs.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk