Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you consider the ultimate prize in the world of duck hunting?

Default What do you consider the ultimate prize in the world of duck hunting?

Ding.

<What do you consider the ultimate prize in the world of duck hunting?>

I received that question in a text from a fellow scduck’er around lunchtime a couple of weeks ago. I imagined that he was having lunch with friends and he needed my answer to settle an argument or maybe he was planning to use it to start an argument. Either way, I immediately began thinking through the list of North American duck species. I felt a little rushed because I didn’t want to keep his audience waiting. My kneejerk answer was going to be King Eider.

Anyone steeped in modern waterfowling culture knows that a prime King Eider drake taken on St. Paul’s Island in the Bearing Sea is the epitome of the sport. Most hunters will save the King for their final species in the waterfowler’s slam. Considering the planning time, cost of the hunt, distance of travel and ruggedness of the actual hunt, in the end the hunter’s role is reduced to nothing more than pulling a trigger at the right time and only after being told to by a guide. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking this. I hope to do it one day myself but is that the “ultimate” in the world of duck hunting? I just don’t think so. I thought about the American Black Duck.

If the duck species itself is the total focus of this question, then the black duck wins hands-down. Migratory black ducks are, in my mind, the most difficult of all waterfowl to hunt. They’ve proven their legend for wariness. Encounters with black ducks are seldom planned so the duck hunter has to be ready to pull from his entire bag of tricks in exactly the right order and for just the right duration or he goes home with only a story for friends or facebook. I almost typed that as my response but considered that hunters living in the black duck’s home range seldom have as lofty of an opinion of the bird. The ultimate prize in waterfowling certainly can’t be a bird that so many hunters consider predictable and mundane. I moved on to consider my own current nemesis.

I’ve spent many empty mornings over the past two-and-a-half duck seasons looking to get a quality shot at South Carolina’s newest resident waterfowl, the black-bellied whistling duck. In my limited experience, BBWDs lack the black duck’s redeeming qualities of wariness and caution but they have their own survival strategy built on being unpredictable and aloof. That strategy is working but the ultimate waterfowling prize’s origin can’t be one that is traceable to being released from a zoo as the result of a Cat. 5 hurricane. I thought about divers.

I have no qualms with handing the prize for the most ultimate of waterfowl prizes over to what many consider the most dimwitted representatives of the family of waterfowl because, on any given day, diver ducks can exhibit the best of the best qualities of the more glamorous puddle ducks. The canvasback adds beauty, speed and grace, and they’re uncommon. There are 1 million duck hunters in the US and only about 500,000 canvasbacks. Given an allowable hunter mortality of 10%, the average duck hunter will kill a canvasback once every 20 years. Certainly, rarity counts in the contest for the ultimate prize in waterfowling but at this point the list is getting longer not shorter. A bead of sweat pops out on my forehead as I realize that there may be a bunch of rough-and-tumble alpha males sitting around a lunchtime table in a sports bar waiting for my reply text. I don’t want to keep them waiting or worse, risk their losing interest and moving on. I thumb “canvasback” into the phone’s keyboard then delete it. I had totally ignored the international waterfowling scene and there are places more remote and less commercial than St. Paul’s Island and ducks more rare than canvasbacks.

How about a Madagascar Pochard in the land that time forgot, or a Brazilian Merganser buried deep within the uncivilized Amazon basin? Certainly either of those has to be in the conversation of the ultimate waterfowling prize. Again, I’m getting carried away and I need an answer quick. I still take an instant to consider going the poetic route. I’ve got it, “a kid’s first duck.”

A duck hunter will never kill more than one first duck. That’s about as rare as it gets. That one duck, for a lot of hunters, defines them for the rest of their lives. It dictates who their friends will be, how they will spend their time and money. It affects the woman they’ll marry (and maybe cause a divorce or two along the way). That one duck can even shape his relationship with the God of the universe and change how he spends eternity. There’s nothing more ultimate than that. I type it out and hit send. With smug satisfaction for the perfectness, poetry and profundity of my answer, I placed the phone down beside me on the desk.

Ding.

<No, moron. That answer is not acceptable> read the reply to my prefect answer.

I can only console my hurt feelings by trying to tell myself that he’s probably at a sushi joint watching soccer…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

OMG that is too funny but I have to agree after reading your post and logic that the first duck is the ultimate prize.

Your buddy is the moron.

You're right on this one.

You'll put one on a pedestal until you bag him. Then, he'll be replaced by another.

There's only one first one. And, if you can't remember the first one, you're probably not one of the real ones.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

First duck is hard to beat. Second (and I am not sure there even are any left alive) a double banded Miner blackduck X FWS green band. Any reward band actually. Have had them killed all around me, but nope. Unobtainium. Wouldn't walk across the street to shoot a sea duck, but would sure love to go whack a Baikal teal and some of those pacific blackducks...

Just getting to go out hunt is the prize for me these days.

And a woodduck is a prize for any 8 year old boy, drug out into a swamp in a small creek boat, wedged between two stumps so the boat wouldn't tip over when he shot.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I'd say the ultimate prize in duck hunting is not living in South Carolina LOL.

All jokes aside, I'd have to agree with the "firsts". First species of any duck is special and I remember vividly everything about every "first" that has happened to me.

I have only killed a few ducks, but I agree with you. It's like your first first deer. You will never forget your first deer or duck.

anyone that would want that question answered by someone else other than just curiosity of another's opinion doesn't deserve to have an opinion on it whether it is theirs or someone else's that they pirated.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

The next one
    80-20 Genaration

Your buddy is a homosexual

A brown liquor drink and a roaring fire.

What dm#1 said

And mallards are smarter than blacks

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your buddy is a homosexual
    Haha - I'm waiting on him to out himself in this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    The next one
    I like that.

The next one
    The first, the next, and the last. Life is fleeting. Every year, when the sunsets on the last day I'm a little sad that it could be my last, but thankful I got to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

The next one
    Damn straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Haha - I'm waiting on him to out himself in this thread...
    He fix teef for a living?

All of my first birds were a blur. My oldest daughter's and son's firsts were extremely memorable. One duck that meant a ton to me I was actually sitting next to willk one morning years back. I shot a passing single summerduck with my old lab.. it was one of those that I instantly cringed inside. I folded him up, just out of reaction.. about thirty yards out over flooded thick timber. I knew I couldn't stop that dog, and figured I was going to have to rescue him. Time felt like it had stopped, my heart was about to hurt when I heard him crashing back to me. He never stopped..

First pics

20191128_071059.jpg

20200830_135857.jpg

The next one
    Absolutely. After nearly 50 years of killing ducks I've never had an "ultimate prize" when it comes to ducks other than the next duck I kill.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill