Thread: Fish in bound

Default Fish in bound

Guess it was Jealous of that Tier 1 and wanted a ride. Seriously though, that's looks like a dangerous situation.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/298398...ibextid=0NULKw

Shite. In the 70's Tom Jenkins from Columbia had that happen in Panama. Except the marlin stuck him in the leg and pinned him into the side of the transom. They had to hack the bill off somehow to get him free...

One of us has got to have some relief.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    One of us has got to have some relief.
    My favorite Jerry Clower.

I know nothing about offshore fishing, why back down on a fish that close? keep the fish at a good angle and distance? Get a leader grab quick?

I’ll chase a large fish (ie. tarpon) a bit to get line back on the reel then take it out of gear to actually pull on the fish.

Somebody in the tower should've had a shotgun loaded with some high brass #6.

Sunuvabitch woulda never made it over the transom alive.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    I know nothing about offshore fishing, why back down on a fish that close? keep the fish at a good angle and distance? Get a leader grab quick?

I’ll chase a large fish (ie. tarpon) a bit to get line back on the reel then take it out of gear to actually pull on the fish.
    I assume trying to get the leader for a quick release. Also it’s hard to put much heat on a fish like that on a talica 25. If you got it on an 80 or 130 it’s a little different story. Either way I’ll never understand the videos of boats with the whole cockpit flooded backing down on a fish.
    More Ducks, Less People

Quick release is less stress on the fish which leads to less predation after the release. Basically if you wear that tarpon or billfish out he has a good chance of being shark bait. Look at the big rock debacle this year.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Quick release is less stress on the fish which leads to less predation after the release. Basically if you wear that tarpon or billfish out he has a good chance of being shark bait. Look at the big rock debacle this year.
    Absolutely, but could you not get that fish in quicker putting more heat on it with a boat out of gear?

Thankfully shark predation on hooked tarpon is not near as bad here as elsewhere
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 07-29-2023 at 10:09 AM.

With a smaller setup like he’s got and likely a light leader and circle hook there’s not much heat you can put on a fish like that. If it sounds you’re basically at a stale mate till you tire it out enough, which could be a matter of hours.
    More Ducks, Less People

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Absolutely, but could you not get that fish in quicker putting more heat on it with a boat out of gear?

Thankfully shark predation on hooked tarpon is not near as bad here as elsewhere
    Not sure that we really know this…. When I tarpon fish here I catch way more sharks than tarpon. If you wear one out in less than 5ft of water who is to say that fish makes it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your tarpon are getting eaten now. Every dang thing is getting eaten. Never had an issue with sharks the way we’ve had this year. Heck I had a 50# shark eat a 60# AJ the other day.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

If you can't enjoy catching a fish at your pace, why even fish?

^^^ Agreed but I don't' quit fishing per se, I just quit fishing with assholes.

Here’s another interesting interaction at the boat.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvVnA...RlODBiNWFlZA==

The deckhand is sawing the leader under pressure across the covering board.