Thread: Internet

Default Internet

I live on James Island and pay WOW for 1 gig download speed.

I knew I would never get anywhere close to that for an actual download speed, but it has been consistently below 50 mbps these last few months. I was expecting over 500.

I think xfinity is my only other option, and they wont be any better.

Different modem? I have a eero setup throughout the house. Hell, I will run new lines to the house if I need to.

start at the modem.
    hardwire a computer to the modem and run a speed test there.

That is the place where it should be the highest.

If that is high enough, then the problem is in the router or the house wireless.

hard wired. Check it that way

What is it if you run like fast.com?

We have Carolina Connect fiber and have 350 Mbps plan. Average is 360 anytime I check it. 330 on the phone when in yard.

I get 300 mps with Verizon home 5g. It's cheap as hell only thing is once a week I have restart the modem when it wigs out. Other wise I have no complaints

I never had issues with Wow on JI but xfinity was a nightmare.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

nerds
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

I’ve never even thought to check my internet speed. Of course I remember posting in here with dial up. So I’m happy most days.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

In all fairness WOW is the "value ISP" that overbuilt their lines in areas where Comcast is the primary "cable company". Like in so many instances in life, you get what you pay for.

Biggest issue is the density of people in the area. That many people in the area using your provider's internet access will tax the bandwidth.

So regardless of which ISP you pick, in that area, there's a LOT of people sharing that bandwidth along with ya.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

1 GB is enough to stream forty (40) 4k movies simultaneously. To fully utilize it or even test it, you'd need a Gigabit Ethernet router wired to a device with Gigabit capabilities with a Cat 6 cable. I'm not even sure if a single "normal" PC is fast enough to fully produce or test a 1 GB data speed. The 50 MB download tests you're seeing are likely a limitation of some other piece in the data chain.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

What Rubba and DJP said. To ensure you're getting a real speed test plug directly into the modem with a single machine and run it. If speeds are still consistently low call their tech support. They'll run thru some troubleshooting steps, check the signal levels coming to/ from the modem. If levels are out of whack they'll likely send a tech. Just make sure you have some time cause that call is gonna prolly take 30 mins +.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 08-13-2023 at 07:16 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft