Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: DNR Turkey Meeting

Predators are part of the equation. What percentage, I don’t know, and doubt anyone does. Predators are a part of the equation that I can control. My kids enjoy it and it’s a great way to teach them about improving life for turkeys. I manage the hell out of my habitat, and we try to shoot the few that we shoot late. I control what I can control, and DNR tries to do the same. Keep in mind, we went through this several years ago. DNR presented damn near the same data/recommendations to the legislature that they will present this year, and this is where we are. Our legislators voted to fund a study, DNR presented the findings with recommendations, and the legislature gave us what we have. The data hasn’t changed. There’s more of it, but it hasn’t changed.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Exactly Boozer. What did our legislators do? They opened the season earlier in the upstate and put a depleted resource on the fast track to oblivion.
    I hope everyone realizes all these meetings and talking heads don’t make a hill of beans if the legislature doesn’t pass the laws. If they don’t change the season dates and or drop the limit now, then what?
    Last edited by joshua2; 07-16-2023 at 07:08 PM.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    The more data that comes out the dumber hunting them during breeding season at all seems.

Any researcher had the stones to suggest NOT hunting them when they’re trying to reproduce?
    we hunt every critter during their "rut." its what makes it fun. I cant imagine hunting them in the fall and having the same experience.

We, the people, are put here to hunt them and take care of them. Times like this just allow us to tweak what we are doing.

What I find interesting is that A) people like Jimmy just want to spout off without using science or data from old, wise people and B) people go apeshit about the DNR holding open forums (that wont matter) while some areas aren't having a recruitment problem at all....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    we hunt every critter during their "rut." its what makes it fun. I cant imagine hunting them in the fall and having the same experience.

We, the people, are put here to hunt them and take care of them. Times like this just allow us to tweak what we are doing.

What I find interesting is that A) people like Jimmy just want to spout off without using science or data from old, wise people and B) people go apeshit about the DNR holding open forums (that wont matter) while some areas aren't having a recruitment problem at all....
    Stick to soccer you grumpy old redneck

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

i'm just picking on you ....

I know, so am I. I thought that's what we did 'round here.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Turkeys poults were still hatching at the end of June first week of July in the piedmont. They might be outliers from the majority but they did hatch......
    Last edited by BRR; 07-17-2023 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Predators are part of the equation. What percentage, I don’t know, and doubt anyone does. Predators are a part of the equation that I can control. My kids enjoy it and it’s a great way to teach them about improving life for turkeys. I manage the hell out of my habitat, and we try to shoot the few that we shoot late. I control what I can control, and DNR tries to do the same. Keep in mind, we went through this several years ago. DNR presented damn near the same data/recommendations to the legislature that they will present this year, and this is where we are. Our legislators voted to fund a study, DNR presented the findings with recommendations, and the legislature gave us what we have. The data hasn’t changed. There’s more of it, but it hasn’t changed.
    They are, they are. In my haste to post quick and hurry to my next appointment I over simplified what I was wanting to say and made it appear binary and it is not. But, thankfully, that gave me time to go and try and find the research paper that was in my head when I made that post and I admittedly had my wires crossed, which if you know me beyond the screen in front of your face, isn't a surprise.

The study I had in mind was one referring to FAWN survival and that predation or lack there of had no bearing on the percentage of fawns that survived. However I was able to find this paper that kind of sorta supports and discounts trapping at the same time when it comes to nest and poult survival.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...N_WILD_TURKEYS

"Speake noted that even with no predator control, the turkey population either maintained or increased abundance."

I like my crow seared then braised till fork tender served with rice.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

You think these necks are mad now?...

Wait until the feds put a stranglehold on their ducks. They won't even be able to travel to hunt.

Based on the "numbers" our ducks are in every bit as much trouble as our turkeys are and the billions spent by DU and others isn't doing a thing to stymie the bleeding.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    You think these necks are mad now?...

Wait until the feds put a stranglehold on their ducks. They won't even be able to travel to hunt.

Based on the "numbers" our ducks are in every bit as much trouble as our turkeys are and the billions spent by DU and others isn't doing a thing to stymie the bleeding.

Just like when the turkey limit was 5, I've been raising hell about the duck season structure for at least 4 years. We need a few years of 30 and 3. It'll serve two purposes......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

They are, they are. In my haste to post quick and hurry to my next appointment I over simplified what I was wanting to say and made it appear binary and it is not. But, thankfully, that gave me time to go and try and find the research paper that was in my head when I made that post and I admittedly had my wires crossed, which if you know me beyond the screen in front of your face, isn't a surprise.

The study I had in mind was one referring to FAWN survival and that predation or lack there of had no bearing on the percentage of fawns that survived. However I was able to find this paper that kind of sorta supports and discounts trapping at the same time when it comes to nest and poult survival.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...N_WILD_TURKEYS

"Speake noted that even with no predator control, the turkey population either maintained or increased abundance."

I like my crow seared then braised till fork tender served with rice.
    I have found similar results, several different studies on the subject will say anywhere from 60-95% of nesting failure or poult deaths is caused by predators, yet almost every single one discounts predator control, trapping, etc. Which is total horse shit.
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    I have found similar results, several different studies on the subject will say anywhere from 60-95% of nesting failure or poult deaths is caused by predators, yet almost every single one discounts predator control, trapping, etc. Which is total horse shit.
    I swear I read a paper by Gulsby maybe that said the same thing. When comparing nest/poult survival in heavily trapped areas vs non trapped there was no statistical difference.

And you, as well as several others on here, are going to blow their curve because of how much time and work you put into your habitat. So to me by being as proactive as you are in that area you're already shifting your curve to the right. I read earlier that most predator studies try to use similar habitats to account for that.

I swear I read a paper by Gulsby maybe that said the same thing. When comparing nest/poult survival in heavily trapped areas vs non trapped there was no statistical difference.

And you, as well as several others on here, are going to blow their curve because of how much time and work you put into your habitat. So to me by being as proactive as you are in that area you're already shifting your curve to the right. I read earlier that most predator studies try to use similar habitats to account for that.
    I do feel alot of biologist hold a bit of bias against trapping. Most people also think that trapping a few coyotes and coons off cornpiles is going to make a difference, it won't. I fall short on habitat in alot of areas, but I go straight up Genghis Khan, salt the earth, when it comes to predators and the results are indisputable. The question is how do we get more on board with habitat and predator management.

It's going to take more than the state adjusting seasons and limits to fix our turkey problem, but it's the tools they have.
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    I do feel alot of biologist hold a bit of bias against trapping. Most people also think that trapping a few coyotes and coons off cornpiles is going to make a difference, it won't. I fall short on habitat in alot of areas, but I go straight up Genghis Khan, salt the earth, when it comes to predators and the results are indisputable. The question is how do we get more on board with habitat and predator management.

It's going to take more than the state adjusting seasons and limits to fix our turkey problem, but it's the tools they have.
    I simply just don't have the time. The private tracts I have, two of which are leased, are all 30-45 min away from each other. No way I can run effective trap lines on all 3 and check them daily with my work and family schedule. If I could I would.

#savethecoon

I dont have the statistical data to support this, but I dont think you can trap all the coons off of any tract.
    coyotes (IMO) shouldnt be here anyway. so maybe the numbers are such that complete (or near complete) eradication is possible.

Lots of egg eaters get trapped on this tract
    IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg