Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DNR Turkey Meeting

Quote Originally Posted by sc sportsman View Post
    I disagree. I think there is a chance that overall hunting pressure is affecting the reproduction and recruitment more than we realize. Beyond just killing too many too early. Just my opinion.
    Then explain to me how hunters account for the loss of 10-12 poults per clutch,. That historically lower than the past. Dox that problem and the increased hunters don’t matter.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 07-13-2023 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    No. Planning on going to the one in Orangeburg if anybody wants to meet up for dinner beforehand
    when is the orangeburg meeting, and where?

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    So, based on your statement you would suggest we maintain the status quo and current regs despite out harvesting recruitment. And then, if and when a cause is pin pointed we make appropriate regulatory changes?
    Makes perfect sense...
    You dont understand my point. My point is, all SCDNR ever does to tackle anything is regulatory. Hardly ever is the discussion about, "what can we do to improve brood habitat," or "this year we purchased 1,000 additional acres of WMA and intend to create quality turkey habitat." All I ever hear is, "now the Francis Marion can only be hunted Wednesdays and Saturdays for waterfowl," and "now you can only shoot 1 turkey in the first 10 days." Increased regs can help, but if all you do is regulate, in three decades there wont be any birds left to regulate. Regs dont increase recruitment. Ive been to alot of different states to hunt and fish, and this state has to have the most poorly managed DNR Ive seen.

The data has stated poult mortality has been down for the past decade or more. So now everybody wants to look into the issue? The turkey is not at the forefront on this states agenda.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Quote Originally Posted by joshua2 View Post
    The data has stated poult mortality has been down for the past decade or more. So now everybody wants to look into the issue? The turkey is not at the forefront on this states agenda.
    If people from 34 states came here to turkey hunt this year maybe it should be....wonder what we could do for turkeys with all he money spent to buy that piece of property on Charleston Harbor, if that went through? I’m sure that’s having a positive impact on our resources.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by pluffmudder View Post
    You dont understand my point. My point is, all SCDNR ever does to tackle anything is regulatory. Hardly ever is the discussion about, "what can we do to improve brood habitat," or "this year we purchased 1,000 additional acres of WMA and intend to create quality turkey habitat." All I ever hear is, "now the Francis Marion can only be hunted Wednesdays and Saturdays for waterfowl," and "now you can only shoot 1 turkey in the first 10 days." Increased regs can help, but if all you do is regulate, in three decades there wont be any birds left to regulate. Regs dont increase recruitment. Ive been to alot of different states to hunt and fish, and this state has to have the most poorly managed DNR Ive seen.
    That's exactly right. The result of these meetings will be more regulations to take away from our hunting opportunity with absolutely nothing done to increase poult survival.

We'll still be averaging less then 2 poults surviving per nest, but at least we get to hunt less!

Basically it'll be FMNF/SNF Waterfowl Reg Change 2.0 and some of the people in this forum will applaud them for doing so. It's a real head scratcher.

And I couldn't agree more with your last sentence. There's a lot to like about South Carolina, but SCDNR isn't one of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by pluffmudder View Post
    You dont understand my point. My point is, all SCDNR ever does to tackle anything is regulatory. Hardly ever is the discussion about, "what can we do to improve brood habitat," or "this year we purchased 1,000 additional acres of WMA and intend to create quality turkey habitat."
    Well SCDNR is a regulatory agency so naturally that's what they're going to do. They're not a land management agency. If you have a land use or land management concern you need to work with the governing bodies that have the authority to tell a landowner he can't cut wood all the way to creeks bank.

You can't ask scdnr to do something that the legislature hasn't given them the authority to do.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Well SCDNR is a regulatory agency so naturally that's what they're going to do. They're not a land management agency. If you have a land use or land management concern you need to work with the governing bodies that have the authority to tell a landowner he can't cut wood all the way to creeks bank.

You can't ask scdnr to do something that the legislature hasn't given them the authority to do.
    They can’t cut all the way to the creek bank
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

DNR can’t manage private property which is where the majority of turkeys are in SC. They can regulate season dates and bag limits so that’s what’s happening. It’s up to the landowner to manage their nesting and brood habitat and predator populations if they want higher poult production/survival.
    Last edited by Coastal Woodie; 07-13-2023 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    Well somebody should tell that to SCEG then.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    DNR can’t manage private property which is where the majority of turkeys are in SC. They can regulate season dates and bag limits so that’s what’s happening. It’s up to the landowner to manage their nesting and brood habitat and predator populations if they want higher poult production/survival.
    Good common sense post!

Their website says they own 260,000 or so acres.

But they manage WMAs. Why can't we push for them to do so in such a way that results in more poult survival?

There are plenty of states with thriving turkey populations despite plenty of hunting pressure. Why can't SC be on that list?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    You don't get out much if you don't realize this is normal practice....

For anyone bitching, go buy some land and manage it! Y’all are the same ones bitching about govt yet you expect the state to manage lands like you are hunting on a private plantation. Can’t have it both ways!!

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    For anyone bitching, go buy some land and manage it! Y’all are the same ones bitching about govt yet you expect the state to manage lands like you are hunting on a private plantation. Can’t have it both ways!!
    That’s exactly what I did. I manage the shit out of my property for turkey. Because I live 5 miles over the state line I pay more for my license, get one fewer tag (and pay more) and have y’all wanting to further limit my opportunity. So that one of y’all can sit across the line on a timber company lease and benefit from all my work

Quote Originally Posted by ShortMagFan View Post
    That’s exactly what I did. I manage the shit out of my property for turkey. Because I live 5 miles over the state line I pay more for my license, get one fewer tag (and pay more) and have y’all wanting to further limit my opportunity. So that one of y’all can sit across the line on a timber company lease and benefit from all my work
    I don’t see why SC can’t follow suit with some of the Midwest states for land owners tags. Say if you own “100” acres you get that back.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 07-13-2023 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    I don’t see why SC can’t follow suit with some of the Midwest states for land owners tags. Say if you own “100” acres you get that back.
    Isn't the Midwest doing a crappy job of managing their turkeys? Be careful what you wish for

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Isn't the Midwest doing a crappy job of managing their turkeys? Be careful what you wish for
    Grass is always greener-

Out of all the Midwestern states that have healthy turkey populations, which ones have a bag limit of more than two birds?