Thread: Kohler generator starting issues

Default Kohler generator starting issues

1979 7.5kw diesel generator. Been running fine for years. And coincidentally the impeller went out in the water pump. So I replaced that and then it seems like it doesn't want to start or it's not getting fuel. I can shoot the ether to it and it fires up and runs just fine. But it will not restart. What am I missing here? Clearly, there's no electronics involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Fuel filter changed recently? If not change it

Have you cracked fuel lines to see if getting fuel to injectors while trying to crank it? Possible fuel pump
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

you have identified the fuel issue with the starting fluid.....so
    check the fuel line coming into it, is the fuel pump lifting fuel to it? Open the line and see
    If it has a decent fuel supply and still not firing, its with your carb or injectors (not sure which you have).

just realized something
    Are you saying that if you spray ether, it starts and then will run on its own until
    you stop it and then it wont restart without ether?
    If that is the case, sounds like the fuel is losing it's prime.
    Check the oil and see if it looks like or smells like it has gas in it

just realized something
    Are you saying that if you spray ether, it starts and then will run on its own until
    you stop it and then it wont restart without ether?
    If that is the case, sounds like the fuel is losing it's prime.
    Check the oil and see if it looks like or smells like it has gas in it
    It's a diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Fuel filter changed recently? If not change it

Have you cracked fuel lines to see if getting fuel to injectors while trying to crank it? Possible fuel pump
    I can crack a line and use the manual lever on the fuel pump and diesel squirts out.

anti-siphon valve or "check valve" at the tank? Sometimes these look just like a fitting that screws into the tank on top of the pickup tube?
    Notorious for malfunctioning and letting the fuel flow back once stops running

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    I can crack a line and use the manual lever on the fuel pump and diesel squirts out.
    That means you can get fuel to the injector but it doesn’t rule out the fuel pump being faulty. Leave the line cracked and try to start it to see if fuel comes out. No fuel means faulty fuel pump. Had similar issue with a tractor at the hunt club and it was the fuel pump.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

What he said. Diesel needs fuel and compression. You obviously have compression so you need fuel. Using the hand pump says it’s possible to get fuel to the injector (and that it’s primed) so turn it over and see if you get fuel out of the loosened connection.

If you do, you’ve now narrowed it down to the injectors.

Unless there’s voodoo going on, which is always a possibility.

Some supply pumps will have a screen in it about the size of a dime. It doesn’t take much debris to clog them up.