Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corn picker, grinder, blower

Default Corn picker, grinder, blower

I am interested in manipulating corn for dove field.

What do you recommend?

Hand picked and dropped into grinder blower?

One row picker/grinder/blower pulled by tractor?

Thanks
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I've used a grinder many times and a silage cutter once. No comparison. Also, the cutter was a one man operation.

some SC boys tweaked a bushhog specifically for this purpose. someone will be along shortly to remind me who it was and where you can get one.
    utsey and the fella that used to manage goodwill. damn I cant remember shit these days.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Hardee Bird Duster

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    Hardee Bird Duster
    https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...og-bird-duster

Thanks for the info.

I have an old commercial grade lawn mower. It kind of works for this.

Regular bush hog wastes a lot that does not get it off the ground or shoot it out.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I have a brush chipper I bought just for this and it sits under a tarp unused. Doing it by hand was tedious and the chipper makes grits that don't weather well.

I have been using my mower. I adjust the draw bars so that one side is way higher than the other and then lower the deck until the blade is almost touching the dirt. It does a decent job of busting the ears and scattering the corn to one side where I have cleaned up a strip with the field cultivator.

I've looked for a one row silage chopper but they are fairly scarce in the used market and expensive when you find one. They also have a million moving parts so buying a used one might be risky. We have one at another dove club where I'm a member and it does a really good job.

Not as good on sunflowers, but I took an hay cutter picked it up off the ground to where the blades would cut just under where the corn was on the stalk, and rolled the cutter head, so it was at an 45 degree angle from the ground. This put the actual ears on the stalk in the path of the cutting bar. It will shatter & throw corn to the heavens. It will just throw the kernels everywhere, and if there are some pieces of. Cobb left they usually so sparse the birds still use it. You cant control where it goes is the only issue left, right, and all around.

Leaves stalks about 18" above the ground, of course if you do not like this simply, drop the cutter back down to normal and take the stalks out at ground level once you have shattered the corn.

I was genuinely impressed with the results compared to a bush hog, pull behind or skid steer type, or a silage cutter.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

One or two row silage cutter

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    Hardee Bird Duster
    Tooth, Drew Robb is who you are thinking about. He designed it and has an agreement with Hardee to manufacture. It’s a special blade that catches what is on the ground. I’ve got some good videos on my phone but don’t know how to post. I think Hardee has one on their website. You can also bolt a regular set of blades and deck plate on it and use like a regular 5’ cutter. I have one and it works well. I also have a rotary cutter for my skid steer and it does a good job. I had a silage cutter and got rid of it when I got the bird duster. Bird duster takes up less space in the shed. I’m in Hopkins if you want to look at it.

Also, my old silage cutter might be for sale if you want to go that route. It’s in Norway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Tooth, Drew Robb is who you are thinking about. He designed it and has an agreement with Hardee to manufacture. It’s a special blade that catches what is on the ground. I’ve got some good videos on my phone but don’t know how to post. I think Hardee has one on their website. You can also bolt a regular set of blades and deck plate on it and use like a regular 5’ cutter. I have one and it works well. I also have a rotary cutter for my skid steer and it does a good job. I had a silage cutter and got rid of it when I got the bird duster. Bird duster takes up less space in the shed. I’m in Hopkins if you want to look at it.
    Upload it to YouTube. If you're not sure how to do that send me an pm with a phone number and txt it to me I'll load it. I wanna see this thing

Here is their video:

https://www.hardeebyevh.com/bird-duster

Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

thats the one!
    it came to me a bit ago.
    my brain still works!
    sort of....

Also, my old silage cutter might be for sale if you want to go that route. It’s in Norway.
    long way to go but oslo is nice this time of year

I'd like to see how a flail mower would work on scattering corn.

The bird duster looks like it will do a good job scattering seeds. I'm curious about how a flail mower would do... It would get much more use on the farm

I think it would have to be very very dry for a flail to work. He mentions the morning glory issue. In my experience they do not like tall green things. If you catch it right it can get hung on the roller. Not a big to do just matts up. I like his off set. I've got 3 in different sizes, but they are all strait back behind the tractor. I think I see what he did and that wouldnt be hard

Interestingly enough see around the 4 min mark. He has it about the height I was referring to wit the hay cutter. What he cant do is angle the cutter forward. The turned down is what allows the corn to fly up with the hay cutter
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

I've got a flail mower but haven't tried it in the dove field. I like to have clean disced(and either cultipacked or rained on) dirt and then cut with something that throws the seed to the side on the clean dirt. I will try the video thing

I set my gas mulcher on the tailgate and we feed it corn as I drive along side. We make "yellow brick roads" through the dove field. Have to run muilcher at idle to get cracked corn.......Run it fast and you get corn meal.

I drop my bushhog as low as I can get it, and roll down the row slower then the speed of smell. I kill doves still.