Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Living Off the land.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    Yea I don't know who TF is buying up moderately nice houses on 5 acres for $800k up into the millions, but it ain't gonna be me! And forget about that house on 20+ acres to have something I could frequently hunt on.

Only way to have that is living an hour away from the closest gas station and that's not great for a family with young kids.
    My neighbor is planning on listing his 60 acres and medium sized house soon for 1.3 million. The other neighbor sold a large newer house on 18 acres for $750k. Prices around here are insane. I get weekly letters from developers wanting to buy my place, they go straight into the shredder.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    My neighbor is planning on listing his 60 acres and medium sized house soon for 1.3 million. The other neighbor sold a large newer house on 18 acres for $750k. Prices around here are insane. I get weekly letters from developers wanting to buy my place, they go straight into the shredder.
    What is medium sized? sq ft?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    No but sounds like I need to be. Cliff notes?
    It's a collection of articles based on interviews with old timers back in the 70s. It was all written by high school kids for a class project and went on for decades. Alot of the folks being interviewed early on grew up before the turn of the century, all rural. The first three books are gold. The rest all have some gems here and there. Detailed instructions on building furniture, log cabins, blacksmithing, gun making, curing meat to last without refrigeration, coon hunting, butchering, and so on.

What is medium sized? sq ft?
    Around 1800 by the looks of it. Not including the garage. Half of the land is underwater most of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Around 1800 by the looks of it. Not including the garage. Half of the land is underwater most of the year.
    Wow and still listed for 750k? Unreal. We bought our house in Oct 2019 and stand to make about a 55% profit on it if we sold it today. It's only on 0.25 acre. That's just insane.

Between that and interest rates, people are being priced out of buying a house on any kind of acreage.

I feel bad for young folks just getting into their career and wanting to buy a house in this market. Especially if they want it on some land to be able to somewhat provide for themselves.
    Last edited by JimmyD714; 06-29-2023 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    It's a collection of articles based on interviews with old timers back in the 70s. It was all written by high school kids for a class project and went on for decades. Alot of the folks being interviewed early on grew up before the turn of the century, all rural. The first three books are gold. The rest all have some gems here and there. Detailed instructions on building furniture, log cabins, blacksmithing, gun making, curing meat to last without refrigeration, coon hunting, butchering, and so on.
    Where is the best place to get these from?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    Wow and still listed for 750k? Unreal. We bought our house in Oct 2019 and stand to make about a 55% profit on it if we sold it today. It's only on 0.25 acre. That's just insane.

Between that and interest rates, people are being priced out of buying a house on any kind of acreage.

I feel bad for young folks just getting into their career and wanting to buy a house in this market.
    Oh no that's the one for 1.3 million. It's a nice place but the house was built in 95. Roughly 30 acres of field and 30 acres of swamp.

The neighbor beside that one sold for 750k and is a 2017 build, 2,000 heated sq ft, attached 3 car garage and detached 3 car garage. 18 acres of field and no woods.
    Last edited by Coastal Woodie; 06-29-2023 at 10:01 AM.

No but sounds like I need to be. Cliff notes?
    Excellent series from the 70's about how to do things the old way through interviews with elderly people in Rabun County Ga. Next time I get to my cabin I'll pick up a couple and you can check them out if you'd like.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Foxfire is in Mountain City, GA. Habersham County which used to be the sticks. Now , Atlanta is pushing that way. It was Hillybilly , now it's hipster it seems. The museum is worth seeing. They have a store that sells the books, locally produced items, etc.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    My oldest brother had those books and did several projects when he was in junior high.

They are baltic amber. If you aren't familiar with them you probably think it's hoakas poekas. Try them on a teething child, and get back with me if you want to see something amazing.

https://amber-guru.com/blogs/blog/wh...hing-necklaces
    Hoakas poekas? Come on, playa.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

that's greek for hocus pocus

it shows he's a man of culture.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

If you don’t have Foxfire, you better hope your neighbor does…

The early Foxfire books were amazing reading. My dad had volumes 1-4 if I recall correctly and I read them cover to cover.
    Years later I looked them up and the later series didn't seem to "hold the imagination" like the earlier series.
    They are for sale on Amazon if you're interested.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 06-29-2023 at 03:54 PM.

Here's a pretty good summary-

Foxfire, the name of a series of books which are anthologies of articles from a lesser-known magazine of the same name. The first book of the series was published in 1972. As of 2004, the most recent is Foxfire 12; also as of that date, there are nearly nine million copies of the various books in print.

The series is an effort to document the lifestyle, culture, and skills of people in southern Appalachia in a mixture of how-to information and first person narratives and oral history. Topics covered in the books include apple butter, banjos, basket weaving, beekeeping, butter churning, corn shucking, dulcimers, faith healing, fiddle making, haints, ginseng, hide tanning, hog dressing, hunting tales, log cabin building, moonshining, midwives, old-time burial customs, planting 'by the signs', preserving foods, sassafras tea, snake handling and lore, soap making, spinning, square dancing, wagon making, weaving, wild food gathering, witches, and wood carving."

"Though conceived primarily as a sociological work, the books, particularly the early ones, were a commercial success as instructional works. Members of the back to the land movement used them as a blueprint for their attempts to return to a life of simplicity."

And a link to the books at the Foxfire website-

https://www.foxfire.org/shop/category/books/
    Last edited by scatter shot; 06-29-2023 at 04:02 PM.

They have a museum on 441 near Clayton Ga. They have Firefox days sometime in the fall with blacksmiths, weavers etc. its a neat thing. There was a high school history teacher that couldn't get his kids interested in history, so he sent them home to interview their grandparents. It took off from there. At the museum they have some of the original recorded interviews of those involved. They have also moved several cabins from all over Appalachia. I am country, and I can barely understand some of the folks talking.

I have Volumes 1-4 in paperback, a Christmas gift from my mom a few years ago.

Also, have a hardbound first edition of Volume 1, a gift from my wife on our 1st Anniversary.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud