Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SCDNR Public Meetings on Turkey Management

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    I am.
    Ride with me. I got the truck gassed up
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

How many birds can out of state people kill now? 1 for them would be a good start and 2 for us. Also, no jakes.

Had an old farmer in Orangeburg this year tell me that coyotes help the population.

I asked the farmer how so?

He told me coyotes catch more opossums, raccoons, armadillos etc than they do turkeys.

He said that he can’t get anyone to kill coons anymore, all they wanna do is tree them. He said predators take out more nest full of eggs than a coyote does harm to the flock.

Food for thought I suppose.
    Last edited by KRT; 06-26-2023 at 07:25 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Ride with me. I got the truck gassed up
    You did make me laugh. Can I post that conversation?
    More fuel = more boost!!

You kinda have to now.

Had an old farmer in Orangeburg this year tell me that coyotes help the population.

I asked the farmer how so?

He told me coyotes catch more opossums, raccoons, armadillos etc than they do turkeys.

He said that he can’t get anyone to kill coons anymore, all they wanna do is tree them. He said predators take out more nest full of eggs than a coyote does harm to the flock.

Food for thought I suppose.
    There is research out there that backs him up as well just fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    You kinda have to now.
    Boozer got a tad shitting with my response and asked me a valid question. All I could do was laugh.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I'm not a biologist but I know that turkeys gobblers are redundant and the hens lay between 10 and 12 eggs. Even with 50% recruitment, hunters could kill 2˝ to 3 gobblers per hen every year and still more than double the population for the next spring.

The simple point is hunting ain't the problem. It's either nesting success or poult survival or both...
    You are correct. Recruitment is the biggest problem. I trap my place like crazy. We leave the roadside grass tall. We burn. We do everything with turkey hens/poults in mind

But, DNR can’t control that. If I get to hunt a little less and kill one or two less to help guarantee my kids have them to hunt, so be it.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

You beat me to it....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Boozer got a tad shitting with my response and asked me a valid question. All I could do was laugh.
    I put a tad of gas in the ol diesel 250 today. .38 gal to be exact. Hilarity ensued

Shorten the season. Raise the price on tags, exponentially for OOS- all funds stay with turkeys. 2 bird limit. These can happen and be reasonably enforced. Start opening Pandora’s box when trying to do more.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I put a tad of gas in the ol diesel 250 today. .38 gal to be exact. Hilarity ensued
    Now that is funny.

All I have to add about the turkeys is I’d like to see the season pushed back 2 weeks or April 1st at the earliest and a 2 bird limit with only 1 bird allowed in the first week. 1 bird limit for non residents.

I believe starting the season where we aren’t one of the earliest in the southeast would cut down on out of staters (GA and NC).

One thing that could be on the table; Bama didn’t allow decoys for the first 10 days of the season. Seemed to be effective.

A couple of years ago, SD started paying for coon tails. Could be a thought.

I am for input at the meetings, and everyone pulling in the same direction. Things are tough for turkeys right now. Those that care need to prove it.

They’ve already raised the price on NR and cut the tag numbers back, right?

Make it April 1 - April 30. No male decoys. 1 bird per day. Why not charge residents some more money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

The easiest solution would be a delayed start to the season and a lower limit. However if we go to a two bird limit, I’m not sure if we’d ever see a 3 bird tag system again.
    More fuel = more boost!!

The easiest solution would be a delayed start to the season and a lower limit. However if we go to a two bird limit, I’m not sure if we’d ever see a 3 bird tag system again.
    When have we ever gotten anything back we gave up?

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    When have we ever gotten anything back we gave up?
    Woo-doos?

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Non Residents killed like 10% of the overall reported turkeys I think. There will be sacrifices made for hunters either way and I agree that we may not see 3 tags again if we end up going to two, but right now the data supports that we’re killing more turkeys than we’re making and until that can really be understood, I don’t see any other way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Ace View Post
    You are exactly right sc sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by sc sportsman View Post
    Non Residents killed like 10% of the overall reported turkeys I think. There will be sacrifices made for hunters either way and I agree that we may not see 3 tags again if we end up going to two, but right now the data supports that we’re killing more turkeys than we’re making and until that can really be understood, I don’t see any other way around it.
    Have you seen how many birds were bird #3? Very few. So taking away 1 tag will not impact overall kill very much.

And hens will still not be producing many poults. The discussion should be centered around what we can do to increase poult production. Not how to reduce the opportunity to hunt.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post
    Now let’s see if they can get all the low country politicians out of their pocket and push the season back. There’s no denying the above statement. The low country has always had more game privileges than the upstate for no apparent reason that I can come up with. Bait, dogs, 2 month longer gun season for deer, turkeys a week or 2 earlier. Somebody’s down there doing a helluva job lobbying or dick sucking, one…

Higher deer density*

Nerd
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213