Thread: I can scratch this off the bucket list....

Default I can scratch this off the bucket list....

...but this only makes me want to be a storm chaser even more! The family and I were heading to Chugwater for some primo burgers and bluegrass at the Stampeed Saloon, and we had a storm blowing up in front of us. We saw baseball and bigger sized hail along the interstate and had a few baseball chunks hit around us as we approached the exit. When we got off the interstate, there were about a dozen storm chasers set up watching the storm. The rotation was freaking amazing and beautiful, and we watched it for about five minutes without ever thinking about filming it...until the condensation funnel dropped. The tornado dropped about 1000 yards in front of us then lifted as quickly as it dropped. There is some good footage on YouTube of it reforming on the other side of the bluffs. Super cool and incredibly beautiful.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Checked that box in Almyra, Arkansas and then again in Nashville. You can chase them, just tell me which way to run...

When I was in Alabama, I was always running to the "safe" place when the sirens went off. Out here, they tend to form just east of I25 and move east as weak but beautiful tornados...relatively safe. This is a still from the first seconds of a vid I took, and you can hear my kids are NOT thrilled about being this close to a twister...my oldest is steady working me from different angles to get the heck out of there. Once it was over, it was clear that that little bit of fear had stoked the inner adrenaline-junkie in him that he didn't know existed.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 06-24-2023 at 08:47 PM.

I've seen and ran from four, then two more have hit my lake house without me being there.. one took down our old style stilt beach house style at the lake, early 80s.. the other one a few years back. It formed, crossed my neighbors yard into mine, impelled a metal roof on my shed up there thirty feet high in a pecan tree..

20190101_090024.jpg

The one that took out out old house threw a tree down the middle of the old Nettles/Green house next to ours. Our house actually made the paper.. I have a clipping somewhere. That pic above was the third one that hit my lot, with me being alive. One formed went across the lake as a spout the year before grazed the yard, and ripped off our front steps. Then when my youngest was a newborn, the wife and I grabbed her and buckled down as one formed in our backyard and went into the old sailing club, ripped a path of trees down.

I saw and ran from one that formed on Sprindale race course when I was younger once.. that made the Chronicle as well..

The last I ran from formed right off the South Edisto.. my wife, kids, bil, sister and their son on my boat. It's the only time I ever remember not obeying a no wake. It formed off the ocean and headed towards the river, probably 12 years ago. Pretty funny, it made the weather channel that night.

I'm just like whatever now, I'm not finding shelter, I'm hauling ass.

20190101_090144.jpg

20200705_044631.jpg

Our house looks over about the widest stretch of Wateree.. I guess about a mile and a little over to one side, then about a five mile stretch heading up towards the Fairfield and Lancaster County lines.. all of that nasty red blobs up there form right across and build us steam heading across.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I've seen and ran from four, then two more have hit my lake house without me being there.. one took down our old style stilt beach house style at the lake, early 80s.. the other one a few years back. It formed, crossed my neighbors yard into mine, impelled a metal roof on my shed up there thirty feet high in a pecan tree..

20190101_090024.jpg

The one that took out out old house threw a tree down the middle of the old Nettles/Green house next to ours. Our house actually made the paper.. I have a clipping somewhere. That pic above was the third one that hit my lot, with me being alive. One formed went across the lake as a spout the year before grazed the yard, and ripped off our front steps. Then when my youngest was a newborn, the wife and I grabbed her and buckled down as one formed in our backyard and went into the old sailing club, ripped a path of trees down.

I saw and ran from one that formed on Sprindale race course when I was younger once.. that made the Chronicle as well..

The last I ran from formed right off the South Edisto.. my wife, kids, bil, sister and their son on my boat. It's the only time I ever remember not obeying a no wake. It formed off the ocean and headed towards the river, probably 12 years ago. Pretty funny, it made the weather channel that night.

I'm just like whatever now, I'm not finding shelter, I'm hauling ass.
    Green as in the Hank Green family. My best friend from HS married him.
    Carolina Counsel

I have checked that box 2 times. Do Not Want to go for 3/Just sayin
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Hank is in and amongst the Greens and Nettles mentioned above. Hank and I beat the tar out of each other nearly every day during lunch in third grade and had some epic backyard football battles. He's a good dood.

Saw all I care to see in Oklahoma City in '99. Took shelter in the walk-in cooler at Cattlemans Steakhouse for the worst of it. Then made the drive to Geary. That was a wild ride.

We get hurricanes, fuck a tornader.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Saw all I care to see in Oklahoma City in '99. Took shelter in the walk-in cooler at Cattlemans Steakhouse for the worst of it. Then made the drive to Geary. That was a wild ride.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999...;Moore_tornado

74 tornadoes in 21 hours, including an F5 that measured the highest wind speeds ever recorded. 64 people killed.
    On the drive back to camp, I saw 5 on the ground at one time lit up by the lightning.
    Last edited by CurLee; 06-25-2023 at 08:58 PM.