Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cordoba Argentina dove hunt

I use a Browning vest with a Browning Reactar pad. I shoot both right and left handed and just switch it to the other side. More than anything, wear good hearing protection. This comes from a very old dove hunter who wished I would have protected my hearing more when I was younger from shooting and 130 decibel rock bands.

If you are a good shot, ask for two guns which has not cost me any more. The bird boy will be loading one while you are shooting the other. I wore a blister on my ass once turning around on my seat to switch guns. Shoot a 20 or less.

Enjoy the food and wine, it is usually excellent. If you fly over the Andes, look around the plane for a fat bitch and tell your friends you have dibs on her if you crash.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

We had an incredible time. Pretty much all of the info given on here was spot on. Recoil pad was required, but I didn't wear gloves. Shot 40 boxes of shells in three days. Customs and Immigration were easy. Avoid the airport transfer in BA, the drive from the local to international airport took about 3 hrs due to traffic. The lodge was first class, food was amazing, and cooked over fire every day. We ate plenty of dove and a few pigeon. People were authentic and salt of the earth. I had reservations on shooting parakeets, until I got there and witnessed how destructive and a nuisance they were. The country reminded me a lot of South Texas. Everything had a thorn. Bird numbers were down by their standard. They've been in a drought for two years. I'm planning on going back next summer for ducks.
    Last edited by YoungBuckTX; 07-05-2023 at 09:59 PM.

Decoying pigeons was just like shooting ducks.. Giant bean field in front and olive trees behind us.

20230620_115945-01.jpg

20230620_104019-01.jpg

20230620_103903-01.jpg
    Last edited by YoungBuckTX; 07-05-2023 at 08:19 PM.

Looks like a great time
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Sounds like an awesome trip, great pictures.

I now want one of those leather wraps for my little igloo legend cooler. .

Looks fantastic! Nicely done.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

good stuff

i need to do this one day
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Parakeets were my favorite

Looks like a great trip. I really want to do this someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Otter 1200 View Post
    Looks like a great trip. I really want to do this someday.
    Huntinghagen on this site I believe sells/plans these trips. He may chime in. I bought our trip from a deer banquet and went this past June. Considering this recent weather here, I wish I had of booked July!
    His group took care of lodge, all of my travel by car in Argentina, and recommended hotels in BA. The drivers were great. When I got off the plane in BA I told my buddy one of two things is going to occur. We are going to meet someone random with our name on it or its going to get interesting real quick! They were on time, knew the ins and outs to get around effectively, and personally walked us to our airline check in points. Spoke for us so we didn’t have to fumble in spanglish, and made it all a smooth transaction.
    I would have been 100% lost in the local BA airport that takes you to Cordoba without assistance. It was busy, hectic, and unorganized in the airport. This is no third world city. It is a LARGE developed city until you get to hunting area which is all rural AG for as far as you can see or drive. I felt safe the entire time I was there.

Our hunting was a 1/2 day, 2 full days, 1/2 day before leaving. As I previously stated, I shot 1900 rounds and that included one afternoon where the birds just shut down after I had shot 500 rounds in that area the same morning. To me, that was more than enough Dove hunting. At the end of the last half morning I was ready to put down the gun. The last half day was mostly parakeets coming to feed in corn that was not harvested due to an early freak frost event.

It would have been cool to mix in some wild Partridge and I guess Pigeon. The last morning was mostly parrots and all days random pigeons were mixed in. I would have liked to have added ducks but the amount of time was a constraint as well as organizing additional hunters. I needed 2 people total to book ducks and I didn’t have it.
    If I went again I would only stay in BA as long as I needed to. Cool place to see once and I recommend a day long (6hrs or so) private tour. Now that I have seen it, I don’t need to again. The way the flights are set it generally requires you to stay at least a night there and that gives you cushion for delays.
    If/when I go back I wouldn’t mind mixing up the hunts during the week, adding ducks on the end and/or looking to see where else I could travel to in South America while I am down there to wither see maybe patagonia, try to fish, or something else.
    If you haven’t gone I definitely recommend the trip.
    My one bonus bird and a species I had never seen or taken. Had a group of five randomly come kind of close looking at a feedlot waterhole as there is severe drought. One kind of peeled off my direction and I let it eat. Eaten on the grill for lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Cordoba Argentina dove hunt

Just a few pictures. I believe that city picture from plane was Cordoba. BA is much larger.

Last edited by Islandguy85; 07-07-2023 at 10:47 AM.

I would chime in to say that I would absolutely do a mixed bag hunt. We hunted five days (one day too long) and shot doves for three 1/2 days, decoying pigeons one 1/2 day, perdiz one 1/2 day, and ducks every morning for five days. I also wasn't a fan of BA. I would skip it in the future.
    Carolina Counsel

IslandGuy, I’m pretty sure I know the exact spot you shot that bird.

BA is a cool city, but you have to get out of the tourist areas. Some areas are like going to Times Square, I stay away from those areas personally (except for the Recoletta Cemetery, it’s pretty cool to see once).

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    IslandGuy, I’m pretty sure I know the exact spot you shot that bird.

BA is a cool city, but you have to get out of the tourist areas. Some areas are like going to Times Square, I stay away from those areas personally (except for the Recoletta Cemetery, it’s pretty cool to see once).
    I thought about seeing the cemetery and could see the mausoleums while walking the perimeter but something about spending time in a cemetery really didn’t interest me. I didn’t wander too far in BA aside from where our guide took us which I did enjoy. Aside from the tour I drank cheap beer, wine, and food the whole time. I aimed to eat as much as I could of stuff I had never had.

here's a short video I put together of our trip

Last edited by YoungBuckTX; 07-25-2023 at 02:55 PM.