Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: South carolina lifts public lands sunday hunting prohibition!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    25 acres doesnt count.
    public land hunters think they are "owed" something? I never understood that.

private landowners manage better than the DNR. Its not their fault (every time). They do the best they can.

"antiquated" blue laws that came straight out of the Bible. Wait. are we not using the Bible to our advantage in this case?

I am proud of Glenn, though.
    Nowhere in the Bible does it say that hunting on Sunday is a sin. And, if it did, that would be an even stronger argument against the ban on Sunday hunting. Government has no business enforcing laws based on religious participation.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    25 acres doesnt count.
    public land hunters think they are "owed" something? I never understood that.

private landowners manage better than the DNR. Its not their fault (every time). They do the best they can.

"antiquated" blue laws that came straight out of the Bible. Wait. are we not using the Bible to our advantage in this case?

I am proud of Glenn, though.
    You're going to have to chapter and verse that one for me because I've not seen that written down.

And thanks. But all I did was piss off a bunch of Foghorn Leghorns at the capitol and got ghosted for it afterward. This passed because of efforts from outside the state. That's shows how little involved "we" are and how seriously we are taken by our legislators/DNR when it comes to what goes happens our natural resources and access to them.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    Nowhere in the Bible does it say that hunting on Sunday is a sin. And, if it did, that would be an even stronger argument against the ban on Sunday hunting. Government has no business enforcing laws based on religious participation.
    He was just pointing out irony in the situation. The same bible that calls for a sabbath rest also says the sabbath is a passé concept. We used it to create blue laws and now throw down blue laws.

Got rid of some blue laws but not all. Isn't alcohol sales still banned on Sunday in SC

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    Got rid of some blue laws but not all. Isn't alcohol sales still banned on Sunday in SC
    Liquor is unavailable for Sunday sales; on-premise and off-premise beer purchases on Sunday is a county by county matter.

will yall just let me pick on glenn without your absurd responses?
    thanks
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    He was just pointing out irony in the situation. The same bible that calls for a sabbath rest also says the sabbath is a passé concept. We used it to create blue laws and now throw down blue laws.
    *hugs

Drop the limit to one bird per WMA, but open the damn things on Sunday.

Should be open 7 days a week for all seasons. It’s just that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

The DNR understands you control the harvest by reducing the days afield. .

If the turkeys are in trouble allowing more days is not a good idea. A one bird limit by itself won't help

If we are discriminating against the working man, open it up Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 05-16-2023 at 06:52 PM.

Well, they’re finally loosening a notch in the Bible Belt. Good on them for thinking outside the box. It is mind blowing that before 2004, you could not legally hunt on YOUR OWN PROPERTY ON SUNDAY! What in the hell…

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    The DNR understands you control the harvest by reducing the days afield. .

If the turkeys are in trouble allowing more days is not a good idea. A one bird limit by itself won't help

If we are discriminating against the working man, open it up Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    If the DNR cared about the birds at all, they would have never opened the season in March for 3 seasons in the upstate. A shit ton of birds died those 3 years and that's a fact.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post
    Well, they’re finally loosening a notch in the Bible Belt. Good on them for thinking outside the box. It is mind blowing that before 2004, you could not legally hunt on YOUR OWN PROPERTY ON SUNDAY! What in the hell…

Not all over.. I've hunted private land on Sundays my entire life

Wkender is correct on alcohol sells.. I doubt Sunday off premise will happen any time soon. Total tried again, we as an association are against it. We're not going to sell anymore liquor, just open up more problems and increase our overhead.

Plenty of silly blue laws have been done away with.

Thank goodness it won't apply to turkeys and ducks on the SNF.

So why not allow for Sunday hunting during the Archery Season that comes in earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Drop the limit to one bird per WMA, but open the damn things on Sunday.

Should be open 7 days a week for all seasons. It’s just that simple.

You really think people would be honest? I know of a lot of people who are not when I comes to this.

Quote Originally Posted by loud1 View Post
    You really think people would be honest? I know of a lot of people who are not when I comes to this.
    If you’re going off of that premise, why have tags, bag limits, seasons, etc at all?

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by joshua2 View Post
    If the DNR cared about the birds at all, they would have never opened the season in March for 3 seasons in the upstate. A shit ton of birds died those 3 years and that's a fact.
    There's what DNR recommends and what our legislature gives us. They aren't always the same thing. Hunters asked for both baiting for deer and an earlier turkey opener, wanting what the lower state had.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post

its not your property

Enjoy your high pressured public land while it last. Pressure is and issue so why not increase it. Makes sense.
    80-20 Genaration

What is it that makes South Carolina so different from, currently 46 states and counting that have NO restrictions on any sort of Sunday hunting, that we cannot have 7 day a week WMA hunting here without all these catastrophic predictions some of you have?

As far as I can tell, the only difference here is that the average working man will have a proper weekend to hunt. Sadly we don't get it for archery deer season, turkeys, or the month of February (figure that one out) but hopefully it will change soon. This is a step in the right direction.

This "hunter numbers are declining" is a load of smelly crap that smells worse than a bloated roadkill doe's butthole. Every single aspect of hunting as gotten more difficult over the years and it all stems from competition increasing. The number of available acres to hunt is declining. Development, leases, city ordinances, etc are all causing this.

Why not spread that competition out? Not everybody is going to hunt Saturday and Sunday on WMA just because we can now. We still have tag limits, we still have families, and we still have other things that might get in the way on one of those days. But a lot of us that had to miss Saturday for one reason or another will now have Sundays. And that's the way it should be.

Edit: Also, the majority of the pressure walks no more than 200 yds from their truck, and that's only if 150 yds of that is along a paved trail. They don't kill much of anything except time.
    Last edited by JimmyD714; 05-17-2023 at 08:18 AM.