I'm trying to figure out what a fair price would be for some American Game Hens that we think are about 2-3 years old. All seven of them are layers, with two brooding(?) right now. Since Jim and I are both pretty new at this hobby, there's a ton we know we don't know, and pricing, other than chicks at the feed store, is one of them.

I'm trying to trade some of them for a few Australorps, but the lady's grandson says he'd like to buy 5-7 of them instead, but we need to figure out a fair price.

Also, the chicken flock Jim basically adopted from his 83 year old neighbor, and I'm just assisting with, consists of about 4-5 Plymouth Rock hens, 7(?) Game hens, and maybe 8(?) Rhode Island Reds... with another Rhode Island Red currently raising 8 chicks that are a little over 4 weeks old. There's another one or two hens I didn't recognize when I was over there the other evening, so not sure what they are.

We're trying to figure out what a good mix would be for the flock? I'm thinking we should keep the 4 Plymouth Rock hens, trade the Game hens for some Australorps, or just sell them outright to cover feed costs, and keep the Rhode Island hens and chicks, for now. And then once the chicks get to 5-6 months and start laying we can take another look at the mix. But this is just a wild ass guesstimate.

What do you guys who have some experience say? We're not into an exotic flock, it's just for eggs for a bunch of us, with some paying $x/dozen and others just chipping in for feed costs.

Thanks.