Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mailbox Massacre

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    You might consider adding reflectors, etc. but I wouldn't build a deadly crash hazard that close to the road especially when it has been proven twice that a car might hit it. What do you think a slip-and-fall lawyer could do with that in court? How would you feel when a teenager gets gored to death on your railroad track and concrete mailbox?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Does the power company get sued when people run into power line poles? Do property owners get sued when people run into trees? I get that today’s society is very lawsuit happy but where is the line?

I would either build something substantial and paint it In safety yellow or orange, or plant a big tree just up from the mailbox. You could put a camera on the tree and sue anyone that runs into it for damages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Why do you think they are cutting down all the trees on the interstate? DOT was getting sued by people’s families cause they left the road, hit a tree, and died. They are clearing them back off the property the DOT owns. That’s what my cousin who works for them told me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Does the power company get sued when people run into power line poles? Do property owners get sued when people run into trees? I get that today’s society is very lawsuit happy but where is the line?

I would either build something substantial and paint it In safety yellow or orange, or plant a big tree just up from the mailbox. You could put a camera on the tree and sue anyone that runs into it for damages.
    DOT gets sued for the placement and construction style of guard barriers and occasionally they lose in court or have to settle. I would bet that the power company has been sued for placement of poles too close to the road. I doubt they would keep replacing poles that have already been hit multiple times especially if they have caused personal injuries or death.

Some of the replies to my post seem to imply I am in favor of of people hitting mail boxes. My only point, like it or not, is that you will be exposing yourself to very serious liability if you construct a deadly car-stopper close to the edge of the road.

We don't in know why someone hit this mailbox. The car that hit it may have been dodging a jay walker, dog or another idiot that brake checked him. I don't think someone dodging a dog should die for it.

Liability in SC is freaking ridiculous. I know it’s a growing thing everywhere, but if you’re hammered drunk, pass out, run off the road crash and die, and your families lawyer finds a 2” or greater drop off on the edge of pavement, the DOT can be held responsible. It’s absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mailbox has been whacked several times, mostly by my wife. I just beat it back into shape and tack it back up. Been there over 20 years.

Neighbors put up cow themed mailbox and it caught hell, lol. Mostly from the roll bar on my mower, but hell nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post
    Liability in SC is freaking ridiculous. I know it’s a growing thing everywhere, but if you’re hammered drunk, pass out, run off the road crash and die, and your families lawyer finds a 2” or greater drop off on the edge of pavement, the DOT can be held responsible. It’s absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Really? Thats crazy.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Yes, really.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    Section on 8” thick steel pipe. Concrete into ground at least 1x1ft wide and at least 2ft deep. Fill pipe with concrete also.
    Box with wood. They'll think.wooden post
    Bluetick

Leave it down. No mail box, no mail. No mail, no bills.

Claim disability and make them deliver it to your door.

New mailbox looks nice…. Will be watching to see how long it lasts
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    That is the problem with private school educations. They don't teach life hacks like that...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    d1ae275c-4938-4a28-b878-9dd39464e2af_text.gif

Quote Originally Posted by white quacker View Post
    New mailbox looks nice…. Will be watching to see how long it lasts
    We shall see. I moved it on the other side of the driveway hoping the curb will help out. Got a security camera coming in today as well.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!