Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Raised Deck Replacement

Default Outdoor Raised Deck Replacement

As the wood prices come down, the priority of my deck replacement priority is climbing the list.

At this point I'm planning on using Culpepper 5/4" clear, or something close to it.

My question is to screw or nail the boards. And is it recommended to use anything other than standard coated deck screws? Or are the screws used by something like this just as good?

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/ZRR6791

The deck is only something like 14' x 18', so I'm not too concerned with individual screw installation using a regular drill driver vs the collated screw gizmo, unless I'm fooling myself.

Charlie, Saltydog, et al... what say ye?

Thanks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I went with Trex Transcend on one about that size last year. If you can stomach the upfront cost it will save you in the long run.

I have helped build a few decks and we always screw them down. Nails will have a tendency to pull up easier when the board tries to warp with the weather. We just use standard coated deck screws and a regular drill driver.

Go with composite decking and screw it down. Wood decking boards are needy and suck. Most composite have 30 yr warranty.

I'm not a fan of composite decking that shit gets hotter than 40 hells when it's in direct sunlight. Screws are the way to go.

5/4 decking in the sun lasts 10 yrs tops even if you treat it

Quote Originally Posted by Buckhunter99 View Post
    I have helped build a few decks and we always screw them down. Nails will have a tendency to pull up easier when the board tries to warp with the weather. We just use standard coated deck screws and a regular drill driver.
    I was planning on coated screws. I just thought I recalled someone recommending nails, but that may have been on a covered, tongue-in-groove, deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    5/4 decking in the sun lasts 10 yrs tops even if you treat it
    My current deck was built with kiln-dried 5/4" cedar and lasted most of 20+ years, with only a few repairs due to drainage issues caused by the original installation. Had the builder put the 1/8" gap in there that I requested, most of the boards would still be in good shape. Just don't buy cheap lumber and it tends to last.
    ~ George Washington

I'm going with a tan colored composite (hoping color will keep it from getting so hot in summer) with the spacers. Screws go in-between the deck boards to screw the spacers down. Well, if the umpteenth contractor actually shows up a 4pm today to discuss and he agrees to do it, that is.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

46DBB86F-2E0E-4392-98DE-01D226693D6C.jpg

This was prior to me taking a few boards back up and replacing all of the railings and posts as well.

I only use stainless steel screws whether face or blind fastening. Even in Ipe’. Coated screws suck. There’s 7000 of them in the deck on my house, every single one is rusted, last time I ever used them.

KDAT prime for basic wood on a budget. Material choice increases exponentially after that. I hate composite decking, we use it sparingly. Most of my clients opt for the KDAT and sealing it yearly. I have decks 5yo that still look new. The ones that waffle between composite and a premium decking like Ipe, Cumaru etc choose the wood.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

18' Trex Transend gonna be just over $100 each. I use clips mostly on composite, i have a couple stand up quick drives for wood.

But im with salty, I dont care for composite.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I only use stainless steel screws whether face or blind fastening. Even in Ipe’. Coated screws suck. There’s 7000 of them in the deck on my house, every single one is rusted, last time I ever used them.

KDAT prime for basic wood on a budget. Material choice increases exponentially after that. I hate composite decking, we use it sparingly. Most of my clients opt for the KDAT and sealing it yearly. I have decks 5yo that still look new. The ones that waffle between composite and a premium decking like Ipe, Cumaru etc choose the wood.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    But im with salty, I dont care for composite.
    I strongly prefer a premium decking like Ipe, Cumaru, etc, but I don't expect I'll be here more than another ten years. Thus, I don't plan on putting out that kind of $'s for a deck we only use a few times per year other than to hold the umbrella to cut off the sun coming into the Great Room in the Summer. It's either too hot or there's too many mosquitoes for my wife to enjoy it out there. If I didn't need the deck as an outlet for the GR and the Sun Room, I'd probably tear down the brick pillars and lay some concrete in that area for the next owner.

Thanks for everyone's comments.
    ~ George Washington

5/4 boards suck and would not recommend. They simply do not withstand the heat and humidity of our South Carolina summers and aren't built and treated like they used to be. I dealt with replacing and patching up until the point I tore all of it out and went with raised monolithic slab and stamped concrete. If your not putting down composite boards, I think your selling yourself short.
    "run and gun guide service"

Default Outdoor Raised Deck Replacement

If it was me I would be doing Wear Deck in barefoot sand or barefoot grey.

You can stand on it barefoot all day in the summer without an issue. We have it on the dock at our family place in Garden City. It will also be going on our dock at Lake Murray when it needs renovating.

It is probably 10x what you are looking to spend but it has a lifetime warranty.

https://www.weardeck.com/products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Johnny Reb; 02-14-2023 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dox08 View Post
    5/4 boards suck and would not recommend. They simply do not withstand the heat and humidity of our South Carolina summers and aren't built and treated like they used to be. I dealt with replacing and patching up until the point I tore all of it out and went with raised monolithic slab and stamped concrete. If your not putting down composite boards, I think your selling yourself short.
    That wet crap you get from HD and Lowe’s sucks. KDAT is much better and more stable. Wood decks require maintenance, most people don’t maintain them properly. Most builders don’t fasten them correctly either.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I was planning on coated screws. I just thought I recalled someone recommending nails, but that may have been on a covered, tongue-in-groove, deck.

My current deck was built with kiln-dried 5/4" cedar and lasted most of 20+ years, with only a few repairs due to drainage issues caused by the original installation. Had the builder put the 1/8" gap in there that I requested, most of the boards would still be in good shape. Just don't buy cheap lumber and it tends to last.

That was when they had good shit in wood treatment. The new stuff isn't the same. Thanks obama

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    most people don’t maintain them properly. Most builders don’t fasten them correctly either.
    And the shit that they are incorrectly fastening them to, sucks ass as well...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    And the shit that they are incorrectly fastening them to, sucks ass as well...
    Yeah but the client can control two of those variables.

5 gallons of hydraulic juice and a roller. Best wood sealer ever.