Thread: Native Plants

Default Native Plants

Anyone ever planted American Beautyberrys? Was told they are pretty much plant and they will do there own thing pretty easy.... Got some areas that privet is taking over on a field edge so I am planning on cutting them down, spraying the stumps, then planting some of to take there place. Good idea/bad idea?? What could you plant with these that will grow well with them?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

In areas like that I would encourage ragweed and partridge pea with some plum thickets interspersed throughout. Even the beauty berry interspersed would be good. Then maintain it by mowing and winter discing each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    In areas like that I would encourage ragweed and partridge pea with some plum thickets interspersed throughout. Even the beauty berry interspersed would be good. Then maintain it by mowing and winter discing each year.

Good place to purchase the plum from? I am assuming you are referring to Chickasaw plums?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

managing for beautyberry?
    while I admit privet sucks, I cant imagine wanting to replace it with bb. i'd just hack and squirt and let mother nature handle it.

www.wildlifegroup.com to order stuff.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Good place to purchase the plum from? I am assuming you are referring to Chickasaw plums?
    Benny Hallman at Hallman Farms should be able to get plums. I’d look at American Plum or Chickasaw…and Mossy Oaks Nativ Nursery has American Beautyberry. I’d plant both and also encourage the ragweed/Partridge Pea. The deer and turkeys won’t be able to stay out of it!

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    while I admit privet sucks, I cant imagine wanting to replace it with bb. i'd just hack and squirt and let mother nature handle it.

Beautyberry is a highly desirable species for deer.

Fair assessment.

However, the amount of browse provided pales in comparison to pretty much anything else.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

Not really managing for it but planting something that is native that is good for bees along with everything else is a positive. Also if it is as hands off and easy to grow as I was told then what is the negative?

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Fair assessment.

However, the amount of browse provided pales in comparison to pretty much anything else.
    Like what?

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Anyone ever planted American Beautyberrys? Was told they are pretty much plant and they will do there own thing pretty easy.... Got some areas that privet is taking over on a field edge so I am planning on cutting them down, spraying the stumps, then planting some of to take there place. Good idea/bad idea?? What could you plant with these that will grow well with them?
    Will you be able to burn it once it’s cleared?

Come on down and you can dig up a dump trailer full if you want...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Come on down and you can dig up a dump trailer full if you want...

Where are you at?
    Got a buddy that is gonna let me grab about 7 or 8 plants. Gonna get them after I get some cutting and cleaning up done.

Some of what I am trying to clean up is on a field edge so there is a chance I could burn it.

i've been told this before.
    and its still bullshit.

and deer eat privet, too.
    if they have to.

people just tend to overthink the hell out of things. you're not going to "establish beautyberry", IMO. I'd get rid of the privet and plant an oak tree.

and deer eat privet, too.
    if they have to.

people just tend to overthink the hell out of things. you're not going to "establish beautyberry", IMO. I'd get rid of the privet and plant an oak tree.

I agree with 2th. Deer will occasionally nip the tender young growth off the end of branches, same as a stump sprout sweetgum. I have never seen more than one or two shoots eaten off a plant though. I wouldn't plant either solely for deer food (not that dareadeal is). I don't think it is nearly as desirable as other plants.

Beautyberry does transplant well and certainly is better than privet in terms of overall native ecosystem health I'm sure. They are a pretty plant when they can get sun. I have put a handful in beds around my house. The bees get on their tiny flowers and the birds love the berries later on in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    I agree with 2th. Deer will occasionally nip the tender young growth off the end of branches, same as a stump sprout sweetgum. I have never seen more than one or two shoots eaten off a plant though. I wouldn't plant either solely for deer food (not that dareadeal is). I don't think it is nearly as desirable as other plants.

Beautyberry does transplant well and certainly is better than privet in terms of overall native ecosystem health I'm sure. They are a pretty plant when they can get sun. I have put a handful in beds around my house. The bees get on their tiny flowers and the birds love the berries later on in the year.
    My thoughts are they will provide better native habitat than privet along with the ragweed and partridge pea. I have plans to plant some other oaks in areas in which I am cutting down a ton of sweetgum but figured in the areas around the field edge something easy that would grow like the beautyberry would be more beneficial than the privet.

Do not think I am overthinking tooth.. I have plenty of oak trees behind the spot I am trying to get the privet gone as well as some larger persimmon trees. Trying to help benefit quail, turkey and deer and figured some thought was needed as to why I asked. But thanks for the input!

You can't overkill privet. I hate privet.

I hear that deer love beautyberry and eat the hell out of it.

I have yet to see it receive much browse at all other than a shoot here or there nipped on
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    You can't overkill privet. I hate privet.
    What works best on privet?

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk