Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: doe management

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    We will shoot them all summer long and they’ll rot in the field. Long as you’re good I’m good.
    We shoot them all summer and they keep coming. No shortage in orangeburg county. We don’t leave them to rot.

Just because some of y’all don’t believe corn has hurt the upstate population in a lot of areas doesn’t mean it isn’t true. I know too many examples people with 5/7/15 acres that dump corn all over it and kill 5-10 a year. The land can’t sustain that as parcels become smaller and the inevitable Yankee buys it, dumps a bag, and shoots everything that crosses his 3 acre “farm.” Comparing the low country to the upstate is of no merit as they don’t come within a quarter mile of being comparable overall as it pertains to parcel size and food sources. Yes, it’s different than a food plot or ag field because you can’t put an ag field on 3 acres and kill deer but you can sure do it with corn. And this is coming from someone who feeds more corn than most. I’ll continue to do it as long as it’s legal but would be happy to see it outlawed like it used to be.

The other factor I think plays a role in the decline I’m seeing is the rise of the “deer processor.” A many a deers life has been saved because “I don’t feel like cleaning one tonight.” That’s no longer an issue as you can kill one and never touch it other than loading it in the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Just because some of y’all don’t believe corn has hurt the upstate population in a lot of areas doesn’t mean it isn’t true. I know too many examples people with 5/7/15 acres that dump corn all over it and kill 5-10 a year. The land can’t sustain that as parcels become smaller and the inevitable Yankee buys it, dumps a bag, and shoots everything that crosses his 3 acre “farm.” Comparing the low country to the upstate is of no merit as they don’t come within a quarter mile of being comparable overall as it pertains to parcel size and food sources. Yes, it’s different than a food plot or ag field because you can’t put an ag field on 3 acres and kill deer but you can sure do it with corn. And this is coming from someone who feeds more corn than most. I’ll continue to do it as long as it’s legal but would be happy to see it outlawed like it used to be.

The other factor I think plays a role in the decline I’m seeing is the rise of the “deer processor.” A many a deers life has been saved because “I don’t feel like cleaning one tonight.” That’s no longer an issue as you can kill one and never touch it other than loading it in the truck.
    I knew I had a few of "my people" in here, just had to find them. Everything you said I agree with. I just wonder, though, why do you still use corn? If you're so against it then why do you continue to do it?

The processor thing is spot on as well. Hunting should require skill and it should require effort. There is neither of the two in the process of pouring a pile of corn, shooting a deer, not gutting it, and driving it to a processor. That is only slightly more effort than buying a bunch of packages of beef at a farmer's market. And it's probably less cost effective. Over time the legalized baiting in the upstate is going to be a bad thing. This area doesn't have near the population density of deer as the lowcountry has.

Baiting is baiting and I can tell you when the law changed to allow baiting if you weren’t baiting you just didn’t have any deer in the upstate. Believe me when I say we tried and failed absolutely forbid baiting on our property. By the end of October we hadn’t killed a deer and the surrounding property was wacking does every morning. We have 800 acres to hunt. If you can’t beat them join them. I told our guys to bait as they please and we got deer back on the property. The truth baiting was rampant before the law change but after an avalanche. It will be hard to eliminate in SC. Since the late 90,s most of the deer we killed had corn in them.

You don’t have to depend on it but once hunters start they quickly abandon their wood skill for corn. I am fine with it or without but it will need to be enforced and I don’t know how to do that.
    Last edited by centurian; 01-03-2023 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post

How about food plots ? Sitting on a power line with a rifle over a food plot doesn’t take much skill just like using a strutter turkey decoy
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    How about food plots ? Sitting on a power line with a rifle over a food plot doesn’t take much skill just like using a strutter turkey decoy
    let’s all be honest,
    Deer hunting in sc with a Rifle takes less skill than any other form of hunting.
    Windows Down!

I drive a Ford. I think guys who drive dodges and chevys are homos. But until driving chevys and dodges become illegal I keep my mouth shut.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I think the urbanization and development, combined with the decrease in average parcel size is contributing to what seems to be more deer killed (does anyone actually have the harvest to hunter license numbers showing a trend one way or another since baiting has been made legal). I don't think that corn itself is directly contributing but it is likely indirectly contributing. While urban spread continues and forces deer into more concentrated areas by default it's going to be easier to kill them. Now, the fact that baiting is legal combined with concentration of deer populations, and I do suspect the kill ratio will begin to increase if it hasn't already. If DNR were intelligent or sophisticated or cared enough, then they should be studying this and determine game laws including the use of attractants such as corn based on urbanization and population density per X size of land. Signed...an uneducated wildlife enthusiast that kills 1 - 2 does a year to eat. Period...

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    I knew I had a few of "my people" in here, just had to find them. Everything you said I agree with. I just wonder, though, why do you still use corn? If you're so against it then why do you continue to do it?

The processor thing is spot on as well. Hunting should require skill and it should require effort. There is neither of the two in the process of pouring a pile of corn, shooting a deer, not gutting it, and driving it to a processor. That is only slightly more effort than buying a bunch of packages of beef at a farmer's market. And it's probably less cost effective. Over time the legalized baiting in the upstate is going to be a bad thing. This area doesn't have near the population density of deer as the lowcountry has.
    I bait because of my neighbors. I only have 225 acres so I can’t keep the deer on it even with 70 acres of beans and a couple 1 acre foodplots. I have two great neighbors and we have about 600 acres of great habitat and are picky about what gets shot. One buck was killed this year between the 3 of us and I didn’t even hunt my place. The problem is the multiple corn piles on 5-10 acre tracts surrounding us. There was 10 yearling and 2 year old bucks killed less than 50 yards across the line this year. I hate cornpiles but if I didn’t put out corn we’d lose even more deer than we do now.

I still shoot the majority of my bucks over ag fields or trails and fresh buck sign.

One neighbor killed 7 last year in a 2 acre pasture that borders one of my fields. The best part was him sitting against a fence post on the property line trying to fan the turkeys in my field this past season.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    We will shoot them all summer long and they’ll rot in the field. Long as you’re good I’m good.
    You need a longer summer.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I will say corn, if hunted properly, can make it easier. I would argue that trail cameras and corn piles have likely stopped a large percentage of people from shooting more deer than they used to. Give most folks a trail camera and a corn pile and let them get a good deer on camera and they typically get more selective.

Parcel size and habitat or lack of quality habitat is the bigger issue.

Lowcountry has been baiting forever. They have a lot more large acreage and more food. Upstate is planted pines as far as you can see.

Pine monoculture. Same thing that hurts the turkeys. Although there were 38 gobblers seen out of 6 stands Sunday evening. But they were in for piles too. I'm so confused

Why should killing a deer require effort? I am not saying you’re wrong, but state the basis for that declaration.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    Baiting is baiting and I can tell you when the law changed to allow baiting if you weren’t baiting you just didn’t have any deer in the upstate. Believe me when I say we tried and failed absolutely forbid baiting on our property. By the end of October we hadn’t killed a deer and the surrounding property was wacking does every morning. We have 800 acres to hunt. If you can’t beat them join them. I told our guys to bait as they please and we got deer back on the property. The truth baiting was rampant before the law change but after an avalanche. It will be hard to eliminate in SC. Since the late 90,s most of the deer we killed had corn in them.

You don’t have to depend on it but once hunters start they quickly abandon their wood skill for corn. I am fine with it or without but it will need to be enforced and I don’t know how to do that.
    I have no problem with baiting, but I disagree that it’s required. We don’t bait and have loads of deer in the upstate. We are surrounded by clubs that bait like hell. I provide all the food and cover they need without baiting. It requires money and effort, but corn is not necessary.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by jcoker View Post
    So sitting high up in a tree and being able to shoot the deer at multiple hundreds of yards away is fair chase?
    only if you have seen said deers multiple times on multiple cameras via your cell phone

I’m not necessarily agin using corn and do so quite a bit, though not all the time.
    I was more addressing the arguments made against Quackheads post where he said baiting is hurting the upstate population, about which he is 100% correct. I do not think there’s anything ethically wrong with baiting, though I do understand the arguments to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Agreed 100%, which is why I’ll have a bow in hand 90% of the time I don’t have kids with me.
    I’ll say this as well. Killing mature bucks over corn with a bow consistently in this state is a hell of a feat. Getting a mature deer to come to it, even in the daylight, is no problem. But the way they work the wind makes it damn near impossible to go undetected once you’ve limbed up within 30 yards of the pile. Even if you can accomplish that, you still have to worry about getting drawn on his antsy ass. Based on pictures you’ve posted, I know I’m preaching to the choir. The big ones I’ve killed with a bow over corn were infinitely more difficult than the ones I’ve killed hunting trails/etc.
    While we are on the subject though, the most difficult animal to get an arrow in in SC is an old doe, regardless of whether you’re hunting a corn pile or half-tame deer in the backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    I will say corn, if hunted properly, can make it easier. I would argue that trail cameras and corn piles have likely stopped a large percentage of people from shooting more deer than they used to. Give most folks a trail camera and a corn pile and let them get a good deer on camera and they typically get more selective.

Parcel size and habitat or lack of quality habitat is the bigger issue.

Lowcountry has been baiting forever. They have a lot more large acreage and more food. Upstate is planted pines as far as you can see.
    Exactly. But you’re going against the previous argument you made previously.
    And corn/cameras do make a percentage of hunters more selective. But IMO, that’s more than offset by the fact that the 10 acre guy can now kill a limit off his 10 acres simply because he can dump corn. When the other 5 10 acre owners on his road are doing the same thing, the population will suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Why should killing a deer require effort? I am not saying you’re wrong, but state the basis for that declaration.
    Bc he's a yankee.

Corn is the poor hunters food plot. Also work for most timber land since there really are not many suitable areas or allowance to put plots. 1/2 acre plot are not food plots they are shot plots. Ag fields are one thing but food plots and corn piles are the same thing, Both are artificial and put there to make killing deer easier. Kid yourself if you want but they are the same thing an attractant.