Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micro/sub 9 With Optic & Light

Default Micro/sub 9 With Optic & Light

I had this in PB's thread but figured I'd should start my own.

I've been considering getting a micro/sub 9mm that can hold an optic and a light. I've done some looking and holy smokes all the damn different stuff and jargon. It's almost as bad as ARs.

Im thinking I want shake-awake and exterior battery removal for the optic. I have no idea or experience with handgun mounted lights. Thoughts? Negatives?

So far I've looked at the Glock 43X MOS, Hellcat and the Sig 365X. Any others I should consider? As a package, I would like to end up with as small profile as possible. Is this something that is easily and comfortably concealed?
    Last edited by 3 1/2" MAGUM; 12-09-2022 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 1/2" MAGUM View Post
    I had this PB's thread but figured I'd should start my own.

I've been considering getting a micro/sub 9mm that can hold an optic and a light. I've done some looking and holy smokes all the damn different stuff and jargon. It's almost as bad as ARs.

Im thinking I want shake-awake and exterior battery removal for the optic. I have no idea or experience with handgun mounted lights. Thoughts? Negatives?

So far I've looked at the Glock 43X MOS, Hellcat and the Sig 365X. Any others I should consider? As a package, I would like to end up with as small profile as possible. Is this something that is easily and comfortably concealed?
    This is the one I was looking for. Former Delta speaks to this. The last parts of this should be required watching for everyone who carries a gun...

I have a Sig 365XL with optic and light. I shot it one day, cleaned it up and put it in the safe. I don't like it. It's really snappy. I'd imagine the X is pretty much the same.

I bought a Hellcat Pro but have not shot it yet.

The optic has been hard for me to come to terms with. I played with the one on the Sig prior to shooting it a good bit. I just never got comfortable with it. Shooting it was even worse. Maybe one day but it definitely slowed me down.

Maybe in some situations the micro line would be better but I haven't been able to switch. I'm 6'3 around 300 so the bigger weapon hasn't been a big issue. I EDC a Glock 19 with a TLR7. I have a Sig Legion 229 set up the same way that'll rotate with the 19.

Glock 43x, holosun 407k, tlr7 sub, shield arms mags and mag catch would be my choice.

I carry a 48 with the same setup daily unless I'm carrying a Glock 45 with an rmr and tlr7a.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    This is the one I was looking for. Former Delta speaks to this. The last parts of this should be required watching for everyone who carries a gun...

100%. I saw it the other day. Check out where he describes what happened at the hotel in Mali.

I bought a 43X and planned on running the Shield mags... Then all the videos about them messing up hit the youtube so I never ran it. What's been your experience CW?

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Glock 43x, holosun 407k, tlr7 sub, shield arms mags and mag catch would be my choice.

I carry a 48 with the same setup daily unless I'm carrying a Glock 45 with an rmr and tlr7a.
    I was leaning 43x & 407k.....there's just so many options, configs.

I bought a 365x with the same plan as you. Shot it without light or optic and liked it so much I have left the light and optic off. I also put a regular 365 Wilson grip on it. Love that thing and shoot it a lot better than I shoot my G19

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    I bought a 43X and planned on running the Shield mags... Then all the videos about them messing up hit the youtube so I never ran it. What's been your experience CW?
    I've had good luck with them. I've only shot around one thousand rounds through the second gen and a little more through the first gen shield mags but I've yet to have a failure. That's through two different Glock 48s.

I carry one of their 5 round extended mags as a spare mag and it's run great as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortMagFan View Post
    I bought a 365x with the same plan as you. Shot it without light or optic and liked it so much I have left the light and optic off. I also put a regular 365 Wilson grip on it. Love that thing and shoot it a lot better than I shoot my G19
    I’m doing the same with a 365XL. Yes, it’s a bit snappy depending on the ammo, but it’s more accurate, for me, than my old Kahr P9 due to index finger arthritis, and also less snappy and more accurate than my PM9. I do keep a Hogue Hand-All grip sleeve with the beavertail on it, which helps. I do plannn by to add a light to it, but not an RD.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I would recommend the G48. The 43x with the tlr7 sub is gonna be all around the smaller package bc the shorter slide length but the holster will be the same as the 48 because even as small as that light is it extends past the slide of the 43x. I carry the 48 with rmr-c and tlr7sub in a tier 1 holster. Can get pics if needed.
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

"You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

One of the hard parts for me when I was picking the sight was figuring out if it would cleanly fit the gun. Each slide has a specific mounting footprint. There are adapters that can make a different sight footprint fit a gun that wants another style, but at the cost of extra height. I wanted a sight that fit the gun with it's native footprint with no adapter to keep it as low as possible. Some optics have a low base that may allow the use of the original iron sights. Some even have as notch to act as a back iron sight. If the base is too tall or you need an adapter, you may need to swap out the iron sights with "suppressor height" iron sights. I didn't want that because I didn't want a tall, snaggy front sight.

The width of the sight may also be wider than the slide. It might work fine but it looks stupid and leaves another place for something to snag. Notice how BugBuster's optic is just right and looks like it was made for that slide. I've seen pictures even from some pistol manufacturers that have the optic hanging well over the side of the slide.

shield-crimson.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    One of the hard parts for me when I was picking the sight was figuring out if it would cleanly fit the gun. Each slide has a specific mounting footprint. There are adapters that can make a different sight footprint fit a gun that wants another style, but at the cost of extra height. I wanted a sight that fit the gun with it's native footprint with no adapter to keep it as low as possible. Some optics have a low base that may allow the use of the original iron sights. Some even have as notch to act as a back iron sight. If the base is too tall or you need an adapter, you may need to swap out the iron sights with "suppressor height" iron sights. I didn't want that because I didn't want a tall, snaggy front sight.

The width of the sight may also be wider than the slide. It might work fine but it looks stupid and leaves another place for something to snag. Notice how BugBuster's optic is just right and looks like it was made for that slide. I've seen pictures even from some pistol manufacturers that have the optic hanging well over the side of the slide.

shield-crimson.JPG
    Eggactly. Nice weapon.

You can get easily confused by all the options and end up with components that don't work very well together. I liked the 407k because of its overall size and I want it to flush mount without a plate.

Bug,

Which Sig is that?

PB,

I didn't notice it the first time but does that optic sit outside the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post

shield-crimson.JPG

PB
    I like that... how much was that rig? I might have to go shopping for something else that I don't need...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Anyone that has oodles of cash may want to look at a Staccato. Very hush-hush, but worth it for its everyday carry ability.
    At least I'm housebroken.

That is a stock S&W photo. They sell their custom shop guns with Crimson Trace optics and it looks ridiculous to me. I went with the Shield SMSc that is the same width as the slide and has the correct native mount. I wanted the Holosun EPS but couldn't find one anywhere.
    Below is my gun.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Not micro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk