Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LOOK ... Deer regs may change GZ 2

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    If you are allowing crossbows during archery season what does it matter? Most dudes shoot WTBD inside 100y on corn piles with centerfire rifles anyway, and now you can do that with “archery” tackle.

Insurance lobbyists want deer gone off the face of the earth. They are too biased and shouldn’t get a say on anything touching wildlife.

And after hunting a bunch of places that don’t allows guns during breeding season I would love to see any firearm season other than a youth weekend pushed back to December. But I know that’ll never happen in the south. NC is starting to get this. We lose a week of muzzleloader next year, so it’ll be the second week of November before the guns come out.
    And this improves deer hunting, how??

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Why would Farm Bureau have an opinion on deer?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Farm Bureau represents the farming interest ... They are getting complaints about crop depredation.

However, I know and it is a fact, that there are Quota Programs and Depredation Permits available that don't seem to be getting used effectively ... I suspect there is an ulterior motive hidden in there somewhere about the requested changes.

Farm Bureau also represents a vehicle insurance interest ... They have a very organized and effective legislative lobby, meaning they stand a pretty good chance of getting what they want.

Several years ago I asked Charles Ruth if they had ever been contacted by an insurance company about too many deer. His answer was no.

From an insurance stand point, if people don't have claims, there is no need to have an insurance company.

Insurance companies need claims. They just adjust their rates accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Several years ago I asked Charles Ruth if they had ever been contacted by an insurance company about too many deer. His answer was no.

From an insurance stand point, if people don't have claims, there is no need to have an insurance company.

Insurance companies need claims. They just adjust their rates accordingly.

I doubt FB would lobby DNR. They lobby the General Assembly.

Auto insurance is already required. If there were no deer collisions, they wouldn't lose any business.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 11-30-2022 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmet Gobbler View Post
    And this improves deer hunting, how??
    Are you asking how not using the most modern weapon when the deer are most vulnerable improves the herd? Age class and buck to doe ratio left on the property after season are 2 biggies.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I doubt FB would lobby DNR. They lobby the General Assembly.

Auto insurance is already required. If there were no deer collisions, they wouldn't lose any business.
    Exactly. FB could care less about what Charles Ruth thinks.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Strike View Post
    ... Limits could change too ...
    Increasing or lowering the limits?
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by DMP View Post
    Increasing or lowering the limits?
    Increasing doe harvest.

We have an active thread where hunters openly admitted to not managing the deer populations on the land they hunt because there's no cool photo op for does.

MKDGA and all this goes away.

Wait till CWD is confirmed here and they will drop napalm on your paradise of overpopulation since you won't kill 'em.

Are you asking how not using the most modern weapon when the deer are most vulnerable improves the herd? Age class and buck to doe ratio left on the property after season are 2 biggies.
    We very responsibly manage our herd, do not kill bucks younger that 3.5 yrs of age unless it is a kid or a first time hunter, and responsibly manage does. We did not harvest a buck last year, because the opportunity did not present itself, or people chose to wait on 4.5+ yr old bucks. Our buck to doe ration is currently about 1.5 does for every buck. It doesn't take equipment regulations to manage a deer herd, just stewardship.

If you are allowing crossbows during archery season what does it matter? Most dudes shoot WTBD inside 100y on corn piles with centerfire rifles anyway, and now you can do that with “archery” tackle.

Insurance lobbyists want deer gone off the face of the earth. They are too biased and shouldn’t get a say on anything touching wildlife.

And after hunting a bunch of places that don’t allows guns during breeding season I would love to see any firearm season other than a youth weekend pushed back to December. But I know that’ll never happen in the south. NC is starting to get this. We lose a week of muzzleloader next year, so it’ll be the second week of November before the guns come out.
    I don’t think crossbows are killing all the deer lol. Maybe we should add a traditional long bow season for the purist.

every time I read comments in threads like these all I can think of is some of you fellas must be a real pleasure to hunt around. Make Hunting Fun Again!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    every time I read comments in threads like these all I can think of is some of you fellas must be a real pleasure to hunt around. Make Hunting Fun Again!!
    You can't be a 'fluencer and #BBK by having fun.

You gotta #Grind, bo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Hey Tater!Resized_2012-09-29_11-20-21_872_514228698226542.jpeg
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

HELL YEAH
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    Beautiful!

Go to IL, KY and TN in Nov-Dec and see how many dead deer are on the interstate. At least one between every mile marker. We may have a tenth of that
    80-20 Genaration

I smell a rat. Ins. dictates too much of our daily lives already in ways that a lot of people don't even realize. I used to work on farms and hunt in a state that farmers had a real problem (at one time). Well, as the city folk started moving out into the McMansions in the country, they at first loved seeing all the deer and wildlife, and didn't want any hunting around them. Fast forward a couple years, and a hard winter. Several thousands of dollars worth of shrubbery/garden/landscaping gets eaten, and a few BMW's and Mercedes are totaled due to deer, seasons are added/extended, bag limits are virtually unlimited and now very few deer and still the high limits and long seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    I’m hoping those are tamies
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    I’m hoping those are tamies
    Nope, grain fed mallards where they were raised up north.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH