Thread: Batcave/Chimney Rock area ??

A good friend of mine recently built a house in the Batcave/Chimney Rock area of NC, specifically Gerton. I've done very little trout/stream fly fishing although I am an avid saltwater fly guy. Does anyone know of any guides that work that area? On my next trip up there, I thought it would be nice if I could set up a trip for us so he could learn a little about what's available near his new retreat. Anyone got the skinny on that area?

TIA,

Tommy

Don't know much about it. I always thought the Bat cave was a big secret!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Lived a Lake Lure for 25 yrs. and the only trout fishing there was in the river was from release fish they put in and you gata have all kind of license and permits. I wouldn't waste my time but that's just my 2 cents
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I think Logansdiddy knows a good bit about that area. [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

WWW.FLYFISHINGNC.COM

WWW.HIGHCOUNTRYOUTDOORS.COM

CALL HIGH COUNTRY, THEY HAVE SOME GOOD GUYS, IF i WAS STILL IN CHARLOTTE i WOULD TAKE YOU MYSELF....

GET YOU A 5 WT ROD & REEL, TIE ON A PRINCE NYMPH WITH A PHEASANT TAIL SOFT HACKLE EMERGER AND GET ON EM'. ALL THE LIL COUNTRY STORES AROUND THERE HAVE THE FLIES OF CHOICE. THIS TIME OF YEAR, YOU CAN LITERALLY HIKE THE STREAMS AND LOOK FOR THE DEEP POOLS...THAT IS WHERE THEY ARE GONNA BE....

GOOD LUCK!

i would also try wnctrout.com

and blueflycafe.com for some flies you can order for dirt cheap and mail up to your buddy so he will have a good supply.

tommy-the flies you will throw at trout will be TINY compared to what you are used to. talkstoOmuch makes me throw 16s with a 20 trailer and its a chore.... being a proficient fly caster is much less important in these tight streams. all you have to do is teach your buddy a little "flip" upstream and then its just a matter of watching your line as it floats by.

get a guide from wilson creek or high country outdoors and then get them to come post info in this forum if you deem them worthy of such accolades....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

oh yeah...and to reiterate what doofus said above...deep pools are the ticket. do NOT be afraid of a split shot or two.

a great way to fish a deep pool is to fish it from the upstream edge and tightline it. just let your fly sink through the pool, lift it up, and start all over again. it aint exciting fishing, but if you want to catch a fish in the hottest part of the summer, it might be your only choice.

unless you use corn.

Originally posted by 2thDoc:

unless you use corn.
    Or a cast net.

I found that works best for catching bait.

This flyshop is a good one High Country Flyshop. Harvey will take off you.

Toof - You were hatin' on me for turning you onto blueflycafe and now you're their spokesperson??
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

I was fishing on a small stream in wnc and was able to catch a few on stimulators and royal wolfs my second day. I nymphed the first day, and had luck, but I will take two on a dry fly to ten on a nymph. Also I caught two browns over 20 in on a streamer. I let them sink and then stripped them through deep pools. Small stream fishing is my favorite. I like being in the water where everything is happening. Good luck.

I forgot to mention, but the grass hopper flies should be money right now. some people consider them cheap, but they are so high protein the fish explode on them. They are a blast. You may try a dropper prince nymph or hairs ear.

boonie-i have lost a bunch of their flies already...and didn't even get mad. something about leaving $.69 in a tree limb didn't bother me.

Thanks for the replies.

The one time I ever really fly fished for trout was on the Deschutes River in the high desert of Oregon. I enjoyed the dry fly fishing although I doubt my eyes are still good enough to see the diminutive little flies in the current. I've had bigger things stuck in my eye and not needed attention.

Nymph fishing didn't thrill me, especially with a strike indicator. Just like pitching a fly to a teased up sailfish, it just didn't seem like real fly fishing to me. I'd just as soon be using corn under a cork.

I already have a little 4 pc. 4 wt. I guess I just need to find out what the local favorite flies are and do a little hiking and exploring in the nearby streams.

Thanks again for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    A good friend of mine recently built a house in the Batcave/Chimney Rock area of NC, specifically Gerton. I've done very little trout/stream fly fishing although I am an avid saltwater fly guy. Does anyone know of any guides that work that area? On my next trip up there, I thought it would be nice if I could set up a trip for us so he could learn a little about what's available near his new retreat. Anyone got the skinny on that area?

TIA,

Tommy
    PB- did you find a place to fish?

We are going to Bat Cave next week to stay at a friends cabin. It appears that part of the river is hatchery supported waters and closed until April 1. Can anyone point me somewhere to fish nearby? Thanks

I fished with Hunter Banks out of Asheville and they werer really good. Caught a pile of fish and had a full day

Sent you PM youngbucktx

Quote Originally Posted by pccutter View Post
    Sent you PM youngbucktx
    little late. thanks to pcutter for the info. we caught some pretty solid fish

20170311_105611_edit (2).jpg