Thread: 3/8/08 trout

The fishing was tough in NC on Saturday. My brother and I set out early in the wind and rain. The first river we tried to fish was a blow out. The second river was a little better, but it was still running hard from all the rain they have had up there. We found a few spots that were fishable and managed 7 trout. 1 brown, 1 rainbow and 5 brook. The rainbow and one of the brook went 16". Started snowing like hell around 11:30. Wind picked up. We called it a day.

Way to get out there anyway. I was afraid y'all would have a tough time but 7 fish that day is pretty strong!

Hit the mountain myself, love fishin in the snow, we were a little bit more fortunate on quantity, didn't really catch anything too big, a fat brooke that would go 16 " is prolly the best. I think I brought 14 to hand, mostly bows, 1 brown, and 2 semi phat brookies.

It is amazing how the old trusty patterns and techniques always catch fish!

Took a buddy for his first outing, he had a blast and caught his 1st 2 fish on the fly ever. Shitty pic at best, the blackberry and water don't mix.

Dat's a nice speck! If you can't catch them on a thunderhead, sourwood worm, or a montana, they ain't biting. Those patterns work from coast to coast for me on all types of waters. Stick with what you know is good advice.

Originally posted by Dook:
    Hit the mountain myself, love fishin in the snow, we were a little bit more fortunate on quantity, didn't really catch anything too big, a fat brooke that would go 16 " is prolly the best. I think I brought 14 to hand, mostly bows, 1 brown, and 2 semi phat brookies.

It is amazing how the old trusty patterns and techniques always catch fish!
    You're right. Doesn't matter the time of year, I use the same patterns everytime I go. I'm headed back there this Thursday with a couple friends. Hopefully the water levels will be back to normal.

Yeah, if the water slows down off the mountain, I may just have to get "tuckered" out this weekend!

Gotta get it in before the gobblas get to gobblin!

nice work dook, best day I ever had fishing was in the snow on the Thompson.

Originally posted by Trapper:
    nice work dook, best day I ever had fishing was in the snow on the Thompson.
    shsssh! Most people won't walk that far to catch a feesh!

The thompson's cousin has some monsters in it.

neither river is what it used to be... I never questioned the effort until one day I came across a doggin bear hunter that said I was crazy for being out there.

Well, I had NEVER questioned it until a few weeks ago, when a man and woman were found killed and mutilated on that famous trail. The sad part was, I have been out on the trail for nights at a time, unarmed, and with several girls my age....

I may still fish it, but guarantee vanilla with the 9.

nice fishin dook.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

wow, I had not heard that.