Thread: Santee Rockfish

Sun, Mar. 04, 2007

DNR studies Santee Cooper striper woes

By PAT ROBERTSON
    patrob@upthecreek.net

BIOLOGISTS AND fishermen agree the only way to save the striped bass fishery in the Santee Cooper Lakes system is to drastically cut the number of fish being caught until the population can rebound.

While the striper fishery that made the Santee Cooper lakes famous is not in total collapse, serious problems exist because the lake environment is not as favorable to the fish as it once was.

“We’ve been behind the 8-ball the past eight years because environmental conditions have not been conducive to striped bass reproduction, resulting in a poor age structure. So many of the fish get harvested at a younger age,” said Department of Natural Resources Regional Fisheries Biologist Scott Lamprecht.

“Even though we’ve not had a major drought, with the exception of 2003, water flows have been way below average,” Lamprecht said. “Striper recruitment is very dependent on good water flows, not only for the development of eggs, but for the nutrients that get washed off the watersheds and flushed out of the swamps which provides a lot of food for young stripers.”

Natural reproduction is lower than in past years, about 70 percent of the stripers in the system die each year — 40 percent caught by anglers and 30 percent from natural causes — and very few fish live more than five years, so most female striped bass do not live long enough to spawn once.

An estimated half of the bigger fish capable of reproduction congregate in the 9 ˝-mile stretch of the Lower Saluda River below Lake Murray dam in the summer because the water is cooler in that area.

Striped bass, especially the larger fish, cannot tolerate water temperatures warmer than 27 degrees Celsius (80.6 degrees Fahrenheit) for extended periods. During the summer, water temperatures in Lakes Marion and Moultrie often reach 28-30 degrees Celsius.

As a result, the stripers are weakened, and biologists say 75 percent of those caught in the lakes during the summer will die — even those that appear to swim off healthy when released.

In that stretch of the Lower Saluda River below Lake Murray Dam, the stripers are subjected to heavy fishing pressure.

Biologists are studying possible changes to the way stripers are stocked because the 250,000 striped bass fingerlings annually stocked into the Santee Cooper system do not survive nearly as well as those stocked in Lake Murray and the Savannah River Lakes.

At a series of meetings the past two months around the region, the DNR sought input from fishermen on how to address the over harvesting as well as the summertime catch-and-release mortality and how to protect the brood fish in the Saluda River.

Nearly 50 percent felt the top option for the lakes would be to limit the striper catch to two per day, with a minimum length of 26 inches from Oct. 1 through May 31. Only careful catch-and-release fishing would be allowed. Striper fishing season would be closed June 1-Sept. 30, with no targeted catch and release fishing allowed.

The Santee Cooper Guides Association offered a different proposal: reduce the daily limit in the lakes from five per day with a 21-inch minimum size to the first three caught with no size limit.

“This would stop the catch and release that often kills so many (fish) in the summer and would also reduce the creel limit,” said Doug Allen of Bonneau, association president. Allen said the guides also support a summertime ban on night fishing for stripers.

Lamprecht said about 37 percent favored the Lower Saluda River option that allowed one striper per day, with a minimum length of 28 inches, and careful catch-and-release allowed.

Any change in regulations must go through the DNR Board, and then be presented to the legislature for action. Legislative action is not likely this year.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate...s/16829077.htm

There's that phrase again: "water flow"

I concur. Keep the first three.
    easy livin'

The only problem with that is that people will still catch more and release them after the first three. Thus still killing fish.
    Be still and get your gun!!!!

I was thinking that too country.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Oh brother....where art thou?
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I think they should have a season for a few years on em. I woudn't be opposed to closing off certain areas of marion and moultrie (on a rotating basis) each spawn for bass.......I definitely think the bass limit needs to be lowered for those fish hawks that keep everything they catch. [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I have fished the Saluda for over 15 years. I agree with the 1 fish over 28" per person. They are getting slaughterd in the Saluda from May - August. That is where they come to surrive the summer heat and to reproduce. We are killing the fish that are trying to inhance the stocks. When you get on a good school in there it like shooting fish in a barrel. I have seen guys with the limit, go put them in a cooler in the truck and then go back out to catch some more.

That has to stop if we are going to preserve this very unique awesome fishery for our kids.

I have seen guys with the limit, go put them in a cooler in the truck and then go back out to catch some more.

if you saw or had seen this, then why did you not do something about it. sorry all the restrictions may help but is not as much size or limit restrictions that is going to help there alot of different things that help and one is reporting in fractions...

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I would reduce the size limit....the catch and release of Rock fish isn't as successful b/c the get stressed to death, literally...Most black bass recover....stripers...don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I like the DNR's proposal. I would even like to see the min. size limit during the season increase from 26 to 28 in. just allow the fish another year or so to spawn. The DNR proposal has obvious enforcement issues associated with it. Allowing anglers to keep 3 fish during summer with no closed season would be much harder to enforce than closing the season as suggested by DNR. The thing to remember is that the more restricitive the proposed reg then the quicker the fishery could recover. Any change will only effect honest people. Some will continue to break the law. Any change that is put into place is better than the current rule which allows the majority of the brood fish to be harvested.

Originally posted by btduckcall:
    I have seen guys with the limit, go put them in a cooler in the truck and then go back out to catch some more.

if you saw or had seen this, then why did you not do something about it. sorry all the restrictions may help but is not as much size or limit restrictions that is going to help there alot of different things that help and one is reporting in fractions...
    I did say something to those guys. I got back some choice words about minding my own businesss.

I don't think the DNR would have been able to catch them since they were at a private landing. I don't think they have a case if it was just reported and they were not caught in the act.