Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feds threaten takeover of the Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    Its nut juice
    And I dang sure ain't drinking anything called nut juice.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyTownsend View Post
    Last I read was 2-3 gals per almond. I think the same article said advocados take about 18.

SCDHEC has slowly collected almost all the counties in SC as capacity use area for groundwater which ultimately gives the state agency power to grant or deny access/use of groundwater. The latest santee-lynches acquisition in 2021 included Richland, Sumter, Clarendon, Kershaw, Lee, and Chesterfield. Pretty powerful legislation that was poorly set up imo. Once the state declares capacity use area you've only got 30 days to get in court to file an appeal or it stays in effect forever. This went down last year. I believe there are only a handful of counties that are not under a capacity use plan at this point.
    Tied into this is the fact that SC only has 10% of the sewage assimilative capacity of the Savannah River, with GA having 90%. Add this overall restriction to the Western Upstate & Southern SC border counties to the groundwater capacity allocations and we are definitely allowing too much growth in this State for our own long term good.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 06-16-2022 at 04:17 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Yea, because trying to create a green oasis for millions in the middle of barren dry land isn't the issue at all.

Cut down all the almond trees and stop watering the golf courses. We don't need almond milk or the people that drink it. And golf, well, there's enough fruit loops running around we don't need to keep encouraging that.
    Exactly. I can only speak of the 4+ years of direct experience here in SE Wyoming. My town and the surrounding countryside has great ag production due to the well thought out and engineered irrigation system they built many moons ago. It snows in the mountains, and the Snowmelt feeds the system. It’s been intense drought for the years I’ve been here, yet the farmers and rsnchers Are pouring the water to the crops from May through harvest with no issues. The grasslands could use more rain, but the ag is limited to what the irrigation system will water.

If folks decided to expand the ag around this town by double and rework the irrigation system, I’m sure there would be water shortage issues. If someone discovered an “endangered” bubba-lipped snail darter in one of the rivers they divert from and laws were to be passed that protect said minnow, I’m sure there would be problems.

You can not have uncontrolled urbanization in piss poor habitat based on a watershed’s boon years and expect it to work out for everyone during periods of bust. I might be wrong, but that’s what makes sense to me.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!