Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kayaks at the public ramp

My favorites are the ones that pull their kayak up on the ramp then walk over and get their car and back it down the ramp, wrestle their kayak up on their car, strap it down, change clothes then drive off on the road that goes right beside 200’ of shoreline where they could have done the same thing without being in anyone’s way.

So what is the reason for the angst with fishing guides using public boat ramps? Or “commercial use of our public resources?” Commercial crabbers and oyster men certainly use public ramps. Should they not be allowed to? I mean FedEx uses tax payer maintained roads to deliver packages as a private service. Should FedEx build a private network of roads to make deliveries? People go and rake straw after a burn in the gov woods to bail up and sell… The examples are endless really.

Aside from clogging a boat ramp up, what is the big riff? Curious if I am missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by mohill View Post
    So what is the reason for the angst with fishing guides using public boat ramps? Or “commercial use of our public resources?” Commercial crabbers and oyster men certainly use public ramps. Should they not be allowed to? I mean FedEx uses tax payer maintained roads to deliver packages as a private service. Should FedEx build a private network of roads to make deliveries? People go and rake straw after a burn in the gov woods to bail up and sell… The examples are endless really.

Aside from clogging a boat ramp up, what is the big riff? Curious if I am missing something.
    Boat ramps are built and maintained by tax dollars, you pay taxes on a boat every year, you don’t on a kayak. I have zero issues with crabbers, fishing guides, or anyone else using a public boat ramp, they’re taxed for it. The ones on Shem creek don’t bother me a lick, they use the spot by waters edge, provide parking and only get in your way on the water and are easy to get around.

Just sayin'.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cajunwannabe; 03-06-2022 at 07:20 PM.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill