Thread: Jackplate question…

Default Jackplate question…

I’ve got a 1542 lowe that I just rebuilt and a 1994 40 Yamaha with a pt-130 CMC. The motor has tilt and trim as well as 6” of setback. I’ve noticed that the motor is way to low in the water, trimmed all the way down it sprays water out of the sides and to trim up “enough” the angle is too severe and the boy starts porpusing, I think I need to raise the motor more but not sure if I can combine my tilt and trim unit with a regular jackplate, I don’t need much more setback I just need height. I was only running 32 yesterday when I think I should be running a good bit more. The motor also had a whale tail and a 4 blade 12p powertech. I’m gonna take the whale tail off and put on a 3 blade 13p until I can get propped right and start there. I need to get a tach but I’m assuming a 15 or a 16 pitch 3 blade is where I need to be. Anything helps, thanks, Coleman.
    Last edited by CreekBoy; 02-06-2022 at 09:09 AM.

How much lift you think you need?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Yamaha black stainless 16G is where I would start with that setup. Get a tach installed before anything and the ventilation plate will need to be significantly above the running surface of the boat given thr 6" setback

All this is assuming you don't have a 20" motor hanging on a 15" transom.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    How much lift you think you need?
    I believe 5” would do me right.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    All this is assuming you don't have a 20" motor hanging on a 15" transom.
    No sir it’s a 20” transom and a 20” shaft. Just hangs a little low because I’ve got a 40 on a boat rated for a 25…

Several options. You can get a few different items to help with that just depends on how much money you want to spend to go a few MPH faster and if you want a kick plate as well.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

https://www.vancemfg.com/jack-plates-s/186.htm
    Look tho all of those a lot to pick from depending on what you already have and you can always can and send pictures of your set up already and explain what you are wanting.
    Last edited by darealdeal; 02-06-2022 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CreekBoy View Post
    No sir it’s a 20” transom and a 20” shaft. Just hangs a little low because I’ve got a 40 on a boat rated for a 25…
    And the weight of pt-130...

Completely missed a pertinent piece of info earlier....absolutely zero need for the 130 if you have T/T on the motor.

Circle S machine breakaway plate, it goes up 5 inches if I remember correct. Or if you want the best, get a Vance kick and Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Circle S machine breakaway plate, it goes up 5 inches if I remember correct. Or if you want the best, get a Vance kick and Jack.
    Ive looked at those, do any of yall have experience with mounting the pt-130 straight to them? I need to keep that because it is my only source of Tilt/Trim since the motor does not have a trim unit itself. I looked at a CMC and Vance vertical plate for just the 5" of lift because my PT-130 already has 6" of setback so I didnt know if i could add the additional 6" of the kick and jack or any other manual jackplate.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    And the weight of pt-130...

Completely missed a pertinent piece of info earlier....absolutely zero need for the 130 if you have T/T on the motor.
    negative on the tilt/trim on the motor itself, thats why the PT-130 needs to stay.

I had a 40 4 stroke on a 1542 w a breakaway plate. Added same amount of set back. I was still able to raise the cav plate to level with the bottom of the boat, maybe higher. At that position there were no issues.

Send some pics of your setup.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Standard cmc kick up plate, which should be the same as yours minus the actuator, combined with a Vance Manufacturing manual jack plate. I later upgraded to a Hydraulic jack plate of the same thickness.

Total 10" of setback but it helped a ton.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

With the transom angle being what it was I had the wedges welded in to get the surface area the motor mounted to a more vertical angle, as I found myself running out of trim.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 02-09-2022 at 07:20 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft