Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: State Waters ARS Proposal

Default State Waters ARS Proposal

Website: www.ccasouthcarolina.com Email: Swhitaker@ccasouthcarolina.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 2, 2022 CONTACT: Scott Whitaker 803-865-4164

Proposed legislation would provide year-round season, regulations for

red snapper caught in South Carolina state waters

Columbia, S.C. – In response to mounting frustrations over federal management of red snapper in the South Atlantic, South Carolina State Sen. Stephen Goldfinch and Chip Campsen have introduced legislation that would establish regulations for red snapper caught in South Carolina waters from 0 to 3 miles offshore. If adopted, the bill would set a 365-day season in state waters, a limit of two red snapper per person per day and a minimum size of 20 inches total length. These regulations mimic those governing red snapper harvest in Georgia and Florida state waters. If passed, three of the four states in the region would now recognize red snapper management measures within their state waters.

“Statistically, and traditionally, we may not catch many red snapper in South Carolina state waters,” said Scott Whitaker, executive director for the South Carolina Chapter of the Coastal Conservation Association (CCA SC). “But if the current situation is the best that can be done after more than a decade of effort then it may be time to re-evaluate how we manage this fishery. Taken in conjunction with what other South Atlantic states have implemented, we think this bill permits the state to act within its purview and sets the stage to explore other options.”

Red snapper has been a lightning rod in fisheries management since 2008, when federal managers conducted the first modern stock assessment on the species in the South Atlantic and discovered that the stock was so overfished that consideration was given to closing all bottom fishing in a massive area of the South Atlantic to avoid red snapper mortality. Red snapper are a popular bottom dwelling fish that are subject to barotrauma when brought up suddenly from depth. Due to federal regulations permitting little to no effort by anglers for years, the population has swung so much in the other direction that anglers now report it is increasingly difficult to catch anything else. Compounding the issue, as the population expands anglers are encountering them in greater frequency and in areas not traditionally found and are forced to release them when the season is closed, some not surviving. Even if fishing for another species, red snapper “bycatch mortality” is considered so significant that federal managers say it prevents anything but a severely limited season for anglers to legally keep a red snapper.

“First, we had to stop fishing for red snapper because the population was so severely depleted. Now, after over a decade of participating in draconian recovery measures, we cannot fish for them because they are too numerous and we are killing too many as bycatch,” said Whitaker. “There has to be some equilibrium, fisheries management shouldn’t be feast or famine.”

Additional conservation regulations requiring commercial and recreational anglers to have venting tools or descending devices on board to successfully release deep-dwelling fish have been recently implemented to help address bycatch mortality. The use of such gear has not yet had a noticeable impact in calculations of bycatch mortality by NOAA Fisheries.’ Despite the limited access, even closures, and new gear requirements, instead of translating into reasonable measures to harvest the popular species, federal managers’ report the one- and two-day seasons of recent years may be here to stay.

“Anglers are recognized as some of the first conservationist. There is no question we have been and continue to be energetic participants in taking the difficult steps needed to get the species back on the right path and we have been extraordinarily patient as this fishery has recovered,” said Whitaker. “But there doesn’t seem to be a light at the end of the management tunnel regarding expanding access to red snapper. NOAA Fisheries is saying this is as good as it is ever going to get, and that simply should not be the case.”
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Im ready. If they continue to eat everything on the ledges in 100ft, they will be in state waters soon enough.

I hate this thought, but it has been their goal the entire time. Give every SWL ten tags a year. Let me catch when I want...

By closing snappers for going on 13years, we have let the population explode the other direction, causing issues with gags. Lionfish are an issue too.

Descent devices work. I have had some successful recaptures of bottom fish.

This is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

"But I caught those right outside the jetty officer"
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Did I read this correctly? Open season 365 days, 2/person/day, over 20" BUT only out to 3 miles?

Quote Originally Posted by First Coat View Post
    Did I read this correctly? Open season 365 days, 2/person/day, over 20" BUT only out to 3 miles?
    They might as well add marlin, tuna and sailfish to the list.

I'm glad I've got some spots right outside the jetties that hold plenty of them. I look forward to eating fresh ARS this year.

Make it back to three miles and you are golden. Don't have to sneak back to the dock anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    This is stupid.
    Really Stupid.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Another example of making rules for the sake of making rules.

State law putting pressure on federal. Unless the federal man comes to check you state guys will only check you in state waters.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

How will they determine where the fish were caught? Honor system?

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    Like someone said above, they're just trying to put pressure on the feds. I doubt any state officer would even question you about it as long as everything else was in check.

I worked on a charter boat in Louisiana when the state did the same thing. Local guides were getting crushed because a huge part of their fishery was the red snapper. They put pressure on the state to help them and the state opened their waters to red snapper. Without directly saying it they allowed the charter boats to fish for them.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    Never caught no Genuine's at the 3-Mile reef
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    Website: www.ccasouthcarolina.com The use of such gear has not yet had a noticeable impact in CALCULATIONS of bycatch mortality by NOAA Fisheries.’ .”
    There is the problem. To many calculations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure they count trailers and think everyone that went limited or killed 10 ars each trip in bycatch.

Electronic recording would at least give numbers but who the heck knows if it wouldn't be skewed, omitted or modified to further push the agenda.

I'm ready to thump some ARS in the face on my 3 mile ledges when it warms up a bit....

I’ve caught them on NI and Gtown reefs a good bit. They’re all about 10-12”. Caught a few early on Davidson about 15”. 20-25” on Greenville. If you drag it behind the boat from offshore and only boat it inside 3 miles, does that count?

Be better if SC just told them to pound sand and issue tags for purchase. They’d raise a lot of money and we wouldn’t be killing “bycatch”.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Silly

Is it NOAA that solely controls the Federal Regs?