Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grinders

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    This. What happened to your Uncle's processing gear?
    need three phase 220. we got single phase in eastover...

his guy offered me a 7.5 fucking horse machine. would've been epic.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

and...my uncle is in heaven cutting up cows for God and stuff. the fella that bought his shop is gonna set me up with the fat and seasonings. He sent me to Waltons, Inc to look at grinders. Pretty neat site for those interested. They have some mixers/grinders that cost $50k or more...
    www.waltonsinccom
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I don't do whole deer, only sausage that I make with lean burger from the processor. All I need to grind is the bacon I add. I have the LEM #8 and I can bog it down if I feed it too fast. It still beats the hell out of the old hand crank grinder I was using.

I tried using the grinder to stuff sausage but it really doesn't pump meat out very well. I bought a two speed, hand crank stuffer and it's much, much better. It would be nice to have a stuffer that mates up to the grinder motor with a foot pedal. I only make sausage occasionally so I can deal with the hand crank stuffer.

I also bought a mixer. It will hold around 15 lbs. of meat. This is a real work saver and it does a much better job of getting things blended than doing it by hand.

Making sausage is fun but it's a labor of love. It would be much easier if I had a big industrial kitchen. I have to store my equipment in the garage. After grinding, mixing and stuffing, then cleaning, boxing and storing the equipment, I get to start on firing up the smoker and sometimes even the sous vide. Then I pull out the vacuum sealer. Cured sausage has to sit overnight before its cooked so making sausage is usually a two day endeavor. I give it out as gifts but Bill Gates couldn't afford to pay me to make it.

Went to drop a deer off the other day at a processor in Laurens and a guy had gotten his hand stuck in the grinder and EMS was taking the grinder apart. They had to take the top half of the grinder with them.... Not a good day for that guy.....
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

1 hp cabelas grinder with cuber attachment and an old cast iron stuffer. Some plastic tubs from chef store. And some drugs from the kids whose dads didn’t show them how to skin a buck deer. Old plantation seasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    Feetdown on the grinder thread: “My grinder is awesome.”
    Feetdown on the processor thread: “I take all my deer to the processor and don’t give a bleepy bleep what y’all think.”

Asshole.

Processor: How you want it?

FD: straps and loins whole, cubed steak, stew meat.

Processor: Ok cool, i'll call ya when its ready

For you short bus riders, stew meat = burger and sausage.

So
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

2fer shoulda called an engineer.

Just snatch the 3ph motor off and take it to Electric Motor & Repair. When you get there, wink at the lady in the front and tell her you want to talk to the foreman.

Show him what you've got and tell him you'll trade him the 3ph motor and 20lb of burger for a single phase with the same bolt up.

Done. And, you get to use your old Uncle's cool shit.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Can we drop off deer at your office?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Asshole.

Processor: How you want it?

FD: straps and loins whole, cubed steak, stew meat.

Processor: Ok cool, i'll call ya when its ready

For you short bus riders, stew meat = burger and sausage.

So
    9 pounds jimmeh dean and 1 pound deer for sausage?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    Can we drop off deer at your office?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sure, bring em on
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    9 pounds jimmeh dean and 1 pound deer for sausage?
    I switched to Johnsonville

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Whatever you get, a pellet from grinding goose breasts will bind it up and ruin it. I'm running the same grinder as dmatheny now.
    I use one of these to find steel shot in ducks. Garbage disposals and dental work don't like pellets either.

pinpointer.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I switched to Johnsonville
    Look into Connecuh. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    1 hp cabelas grinder with cuber attachment and an old cast iron stuffer. Some plastic tubs from chef store. And some drugs from the kids whose dads didn’t show them how to skin a buck deer. Old plantation seasoning.
    Not to show off my “country arrogance” but what you likely have is a lard press.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    and...my uncle is in heaven cutting up cows for God and stuff.
    Jesus finally gets to show him that hanging is far superior to that soaking your meat mess. I am glad for his eternal soul...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Jesus finally gets to show him that hanging is far superior to that soaking your meat mess. I am glad for his eternal soul...
    And all God's people said, Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rem11-87 View Post
    Used one like this the last time I processed my own deer. It's still around here somewhere for 'emergencies'.

When the day comes that I fully retire and have the extra time, I'll come back and read this thread to get a good grinder.

Good thread. Congrats, tooth!
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

The problem I have is the second grind. Always seems to clog up the cutter blade. Think fix might be to put first grind back in refrigerator to get it real cold. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    The problem I have is the second grind. Always seems to clog up the cutter blade. Think fix might be to put first grind back in refrigerator to get it real cold. Any suggestions?
    Why do you need to do a second grind? I only run mine through there once for burger and sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    It’s one of 2 things, either the knife behind the plate is dull and you need to replace it, or you left too much silver skin on the meat. I’d suspect it’s the knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Why do you need to do a second grind? I only run mine through there once for burger and sausage.
    Smdh.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!