Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Processors full every where

Deer I kill on WMA come out of the woods deboned in ziploc bags.

If you are seeking common sense among the population of this country, good luck...

Hell, 2 weeks ago I killed a doe on private land 3 miles from my house in the country and she was deboned and in ziploc bags as well. Could have easily drug her out.

I would love to see a tailgate picture of your bagged meat, but most people these days care way on yonder more about the picture than the meat...

Different states have different rules. In Florida we can gut but nothing more on public land.

I’ve skinned and took meat off 2 9 foot gators this year and put remaining parts in my trash can. Garbage people may not like me but reality is no other choice unless I want to be charged a ton of $$$ at processor.

Big contractor bags come in handy..

They will track you back to SC in Alaska if they find enough meat left on a carcass to feed a cat...

They ain’t got to worry about me in Alaska, too damn cold for 9 months and too damn many skeeters for the other 3

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    Different states have different rules. In Florida we can gut but nothing more on public land.

I’ve skinned and took meat off 2 9 foot gators this year and put remaining parts in my trash can. Garbage people may not like me but reality is no other choice unless I want to be charged a ton of $$$ at processor.

Big contractor bags come in handy..
    Yeah, the doe I killed had her skeleton and hide put in a trash bag and tossed in the compactor at the “convenience center”. I would normally say dump, but most folks wouldn’t apparently know wtf I was talking about.

Honestly? I think I’m ahead of my time with the deer filleting considering CWD and all the regs coming along because of that. Pretty soon they probably gonna make you bone it out at the site of the kill.

I put my tag on the deer, take a picture if I’m on WMA for tag and sex verification, then cut it up and take my tag right back off and bring it out with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Several years ago, I hit a doe on the Ben Sawyer Causeway, ironically on the way home from deer hunting. My wife was mortified when I cleaned it under the shed in the back yard. I don't think my marriage could hold up to me cleaning them there every time I shot one. If I didn't have a place in the country, a processor would be my only choice.

Where do public land suburban and city hunters clean their deer?
    Helped my dad clean many a deer on a rack in the backyard of our house in middle of Friarsgate neighborhood in Irmo growing up. Processed them right in the drive way after a couple days in cooler on ice, no drain plug to keep water drained off.

When we buy some land to build on and I build my shop I plan to have a small walk in cooler and nicer set up for processing game into our favorite cuts.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Lived in Old Friarsgate for a short time, right across from the Toyota dealer. Hung deer from an eye hook in the small shed in the backyard. Guts stayed in the woods where I killed em(SNF), bones and scraps went in a black trash bag to the trash bin and rolled out to the curb...

Years ago, a friend and I would shoot a pile of deer w/ depredation permits during the summer. An old black guy lived close to the farm and would take several from us every year. We would carry them right through his house and into a claw foot tub he had in his bathroom. I’d love to know how many he cleaned I that old tub.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Years ago, a friend and I would shoot a pile of deer w/ depredation permits during the summer. An old black guy lived close to the farm and would take several from us every year. We would carry them right through his house and into a claw foot tub he had in his bathroom. I’d love to know how many he cleaned I that old tub.
    Damn, lol. That beats my hogs in the trunk of the Cadillac guy all day long...

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Yeah, the doe I killed had her skeleton and hide put in a trash bag and tossed in the compactor at the “convenience center”. I would normally say dump, but most folks wouldn’t apparently know wtf I was talking about.
    Country folks know what the convenience site is

I gutted and skinned my first deer after I hung it from a clothes line pole in the back yard on Clemson Avenue in Forest Acres.... haven't skinned one in a long time, let alone gutted, but I plan to start doing my own when I retire.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Cleaned a "11 gator on a tarp in my front yard in Sumter a few years ago. Met every neighbor I had and a bunch of people just passing thru that afternoon.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Well,

What’s that dude on Maple Street going to do with his deer he killed when he finds out after the kill that there’s no processor to take it to?

He needs to keep his ass at home if he doesn’t already have a plan in place.

What about when he shoots one with his crossbow early in the season and finds it at midnight? What’s he gonna do then?
    We have quite a few folks call and see if we're open prior to them going hunting. Like you said, if you can't process or at least clean the deer yourself, make sure your local processor is open before you go. Worst case, clean it and quarter it up and put it in a cooler for a few days until the processor opens back up. I personally hate to see deer come in that's been sitting in ice and water for a few days, but that's better than cutting the horns off and letting it go to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakey View Post
    I personally hate to see deer come in that's been sitting in ice and water for a few days, but that's better than cutting the horns off and letting it go to waste.
    Why people can't figure out to leave the ice IN THE BAGS in the cooler is beyond me.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Bags leak. Ice it down good to get it cooled, then pull the plug and set all meat on TOP of the ice....moving blanket or two placed over the cooler helps too especially in early season.