Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Horses and Deer

Quote Originally Posted by jwterry3 View Post
    Why are pics not showing up?
    I can never see his pics in any posts. Not from phone or computer. Not sure why and not an issue with any other poster that I’m aware of for me.

Congrats. That 1st pic in post 27 I think it is looks a shit ton wider than the one you killed. I don’t get it. Must be some Jedi mind trick distortion.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    I use the cuddelink system and really like it. I run 9 cameras as well. I assume these are something you already own? If not, be sure to do the research on battery management.

Congrats on this deer...very nice for sure.
    I don't own them yet. Talk to me about the battery dealeo. All I've seen is not to use energizer due to some change that keeps them from making decent contact. I figure I'll buy 9 of the external battery packs and run them all with the external packs as well as what they take without the packs. From what I've seen on the inner-tube, they are saying they run them summer thru January and never have to change the batteries. Ifn you know different, talk to me. I'm going with 9 because I will be able to put the main camera at the spot I park and cover that entire piece of ground really well with the other 8. Might actually be able to truly figure out what they do with different wind situations vs guessing/hypothesizing.

On a cool, wind related note. The first time I saw the deer, the wind was blowing easy but steadily from the South East. The next day when I saw him, it was blowing slightly but steadily from the North East. From that point on, I moved well across the field for two big reasons. The first was because I had been close to him twice and the second time, the wind shifted just enough for him to get a whiff of me. I knew I was in close to where he was bedding and moving through the olives, and I knew I was adding scent each time I sat there. I figured one more nosefull or if he walked thru my ground hide approach, he'd be gone or he'd go straight nockturnal. The second reason was because the forecast called for our usual West winds either WSW, SW, W, or WNW for the next few days. None of that was good for hunting where I was hunting, so I moved it across the field way the heck away.

I watched a youtube/blog post about a guy that always hunted East winds...would take days from work off, play hooky, etc. whenever there was an Easterly component to the wind. Look that up on youtube and watch it...pretty interesting. Basically, his philosophy is that an E wind is an unusual wind, and it really is just about anywhere, USA. Deer are creatures of habit, and their primary bedding and feeding and travel circuits are based off of the security that a wind with a westerly component brings. During the rut, all bets are off, but outside of that small window, deer usually do not like to break their travel circuits and feed and travel in unfamiliar areas. On a day with an easterly component to the wind, he says the deer will certainly walk with the wind to their backs some, but will generally do so only enough to get to where they can move North and South to food or water or other shelter. In other words, it causes them to change up their routine movement, and since their routine movement is freaking dialed in to keep them safe, that's a great thing.

Looking back at it, the three different days I saw him, there was an easterly component to the wind. The day I killed him, the wind was blowing from the SE...which was from me to him. Fortunately, my handwashed clothing that was promptly smoked with hardwood smoke as soon as it dried and my position being 350 yards from where he took the bullet was enough to not have him spooked. But I know where the majority of the bedding is normally taking place and how deer move thru that grove to get to the alfalfa, and I also know its damn difficult to get any kind of shot on one before they smell you when there is a West wind of any kind. This deer, all three times I saw him, had bedded down or moved to cover on the west side of the grove so he could approach the hay field on the downwind side of the grove cutting north to south jist like that dood was saying on the video. No...I think I'm wrong there...he had moved to or bedded on the west side of the grove because bedding on the East side per normal would have him close to thick cover where he could not smell and would allow predators to get really close to him in cover. His movement once on the west side of the grove happened to be North and South like the dood in the video said they'd do in an Easterly wind...and the N-S movement put him in the field feeding on the alfalfa and made him visible.

Thought that was interesting and hopefully y'all can use it to bust one that's been one step ahead of everyone.

I also looked back at when I killed my deer last year, and I was surprised to see that it was the 2nd day after the new moon and moon was 3%. I killed this one on the day after the new moon and moon was 0.9%. I guess I need to adjust my thinking about hunting during that phase, because I was thinking it sucked and I never see good movement then.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 10-11-2021 at 12:23 AM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Yo Pharm. I have no clue why you cant see the pics. I looked to see if I had you blocked or something accidentally and can't see how I could have done that. I'm going to post the pic links from imgur. Let me know if you still can't see them, and I'll text them to you if I need to.
    ;;;;;;
    ;;;
    ;

I think I figured out how to post the video of when I found him.

https://imgur.com/epIsM1C
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 10-11-2021 at 12:04 AM.

Between the pics and the video you just posted I can see where you would be confused on it being the same deer or not. Hell of a deer either way.

I use both rayovac high energy and ProCell batteries and get decent life out of both of them. Upgrade the battery packs from AA's to D's. They use to have a 6 D battery pack they don't make anymore. If you can find some on ebay, buy those if not, buy the 4D pack and the 8D (I think) external battery back. My home camera (6D's with Battery Pack) is on 300 days and still ticking. If you have a spot's in the sun, you could go for the solar charger as well (I need a few of these myself). Buy batteries in bulk off Amazon. If you have a really dense tree area, you wont transmit as far as you'd like.

For all things Cuddelink you can get on Habitat-Talk and speak with John Volkman. He works for Cuddeback and seams to be their wizard.

https://habitat-talk.com/index.php?t...version.11730/

Got em now WhitewaterDuck. Unbelievable buck, congratulations!