Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Experience with America’s Home place for new house

It is okay to hire out friends and family as long as they are not dishonest, and you are not in a hurry.

Lot of pitfalls in getting correct permits. Professionals know the ropes and you don't. Don't offer any information code enforcement doesn't ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown609 View Post
    It is okay to hire out friends and family as long as they are not dishonest, and you are not in a hurry.
    More terrible advice.

I have built two houses subbing everything out on my own. Knew pretty much everyone personally for most of my life except people that hung the Sheetrock. Still have good relationships with all of them. I knew they were trustworthy and did good work. Just have to be realistic about time frames as everything takes a lot longer than you think it wil. I also knew that up front. If you are in a hurry and can’t afford the carrying costs, that is not the route to go.

I contract with friends all the time. They get the same estimate and terms as anyone else. They get the same monthly statements/bills and pay the same way. I don’t alter the way I do business and if anything I’m more up front with them than others. I have one going right now and advised them that what they wanted to do wasn’t worth the money they will spend, house has sentimental value that outweighs the monetary. I have clients that have become good friends, getting ready to finish PHIII of a Reno project and then turn around and build them 4-5000sf ground up on another lot. It’s how you structure the relationship.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by SCFoxman View Post
    Sorry for reviving this one. Maybe it will help someone.
    My relatives in Hattiesburg went with America's Home Place for their new house. Overall, they were quite satisfied with the process and the end result. The construction was relatively quick, and the quality of work met their expectations.

I will update as well, overall very satisfied with build of house and very impressed with how well coordinated it was

This coming from my daughter, who I laughingly refer to as “the blonde headed bitch”. She is VERY head strong, opinionated and career driven female (my poor Son in law lOL)

All went very well and have to admit I was very impressed with finish work. Sheetrock was done very well (big open floor plan and lot of lighting so easy to seem any issues ). House was built well with in time frame as promised and like any home build a few bumps along the road but AHP took care of all of it

In fact they actually place pilings in garage just like under the house, shorted me out but made sense in that even though backfilled it gives support to the concrete slab in garage

When done they actually had some credits and not any overages

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    if building a house under normal circumstances is the number 3 cause for divorce, I would say that building a house during a pandemic might just take the top spot. Not sure if anyone in the know is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with supply chain issues and labor shortages, but you will lose some years off your life building a house at the moment.
    One big reason they went with AHP, they did sit down with 2 of my friends (clients ) and both told them no way they could deliver house in time frame as AHP and they would do a good job

In fact one of the GC’s has been in the house several times and told me he sees NOTHING he could pick out despite wanting to . Very anal retentive guy/GC and he was very impressed
    Last edited by tprice; 03-09-2024 at 06:02 PM.