Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goose question

O.K. guys we have a 10 acre p-nut field that has p-nuts pulled and drying, well a flock of at least 50 (no shit) are visiting it at 7:20 pm like clock work. Well yesterday for the 1st time I hunted it with BSd and a friend, we put out 2 dozen silohouetts and a few full bodies and covered completley in p-nuts laying down. Well at 7:16 the massive flock of geese were headed our way, they litterally came overhead flew out circled(yes circled) and flew by just close enough for a look and went bac the way they came

It was awesome to have that many geese overhead and we prolly could have skybusted but elected not too.

Do yall recon the 2 dozen decoys "scared" or alerted the frequent user geese and they said no way ank kept on or a chance they spotted us or what? Good news is they ended up roosting on our property anyway. I'm going back Sat evening and figured I'd set up with no decoys.... It'll be the 1st for me but I'm clueless.

Seriously any ideas???? Duckman#1???
    More fuel = more boost!!

Yall were callin' to them weren't you... [img]graemlins/10_9_132.gif[/img] Hell, they were going to come in there anyway... why call?
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

What kind of silo's were ya'll using? I have heard that some brands are notorious for flaring geese, especially if the sun it shining right on them. Other than that maybe it was just all ya'll ugly ass rubberheads. [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

They were not shining at 7:20 in the evening, I don't think. I'm stumped. BSD did blow the call some, maybe that was it. I'll try Sat evening no calls no dekes.

I can't describe how intense it was to have that many geese "hovering" overhead. FUCK!!!!! Prolly ruined it.
    More fuel = more boost!!

I doubt you ruined it. Without being there it would be hard to say. The geese are coming there anyhow, why risk a bad setup or calling. They are already confident, leave well enough alone.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

I doubt you ruined it. Without being there it would be hard to say. The geese are coming there anyhow, why risk a bad setup or calling. They are already confident, leave well enough alone.

10-4

Time will tell

Hey a good dog would have fun chasing the grounded wounded ones [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    More fuel = more boost!!

Lab...

You must try to double post. No one could do it that many times by "accident."
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Noooooooo, this is the only site that take 5 friggin minutes for the post to complete, so I just punch the button again and again until it does!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Nope your just retarded [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    More fuel = more boost!!

Lab-- you need that book KRT and Johnny Reb wrote: "Posting on SCDUCKS.com for Dumbasses!!!"
    I heard it is on the Columbia, SC best seller list. All the incoming freshmen at USC get a copy now.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Don't even associate me with Johnny reb
    More fuel = more boost!!

Don't even associate me with KRT

All the incoming freshmen at USC get a copy now.

The dumbasses that attend USC sure as hell need it. At Clemson they wrote the book!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

ive got pretty much the same situation but with more geese. The way we hunted them was with 6 or 7 decoys and hardly any calling. I would think that you would have to have some decoys so that they wouldnt just land on the other side of the field or something. Just use a few of the best decoys you have and it should work fine.

Thanks Jay
    More fuel = more boost!!

It's hard to tell, but it may have been a situation where they literally thought the buffet was too crowded already. Geese are very routine oriented, so when they saw all the decoys and the calling, they figured something didn't seem right. I wouldn't take any decoys, just cover up and wait.

KRT and Johnny Reb the same post only three minutes apart. Are you two guys twins?? [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Some simple minds want to know but are afraid to ask. For example Lab

KRT [img]graemlins/flipa.gif[/img]

Johnny "not on the spot" Reb [img]graemlins/fu.gif[/img]
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

The biggest problem, "Resident geese"! They were use to being the first flock and maybe only flock to get there.
    Too late now but next time try a half dozen(full body) or even no decoys as Gander sugested. You did'nt say if you called to to them, If not try some moderate to lite calling.Geese are very vocal when other geese are approaching.
    80-20 Genaration

Only problem with no dekes is that you can't bring'em in where you want them. You can guess, and hope they land close enough, but you will probably get stumped again when they light 50 yards away, that'll be even more frustrating. I'd go with just full body dekes, and minimal calling.