Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why has duck hunting become the "thing to do"

The concept may not be,but it's application may be depending upon certain factors.

Recently, the question of additive versus compensatory mortality for black ducks has been revisited. With larger data sets and improved statistical models for band recoveries, later analysis suggested more instances of additivity (Nichols 1993). Between the periods 1950-1966 and 1967-1982, mean survival rates of black ducks increased consistently with the model for total additivity of hunting mortality (C. M. Francis, Long Point Bird Observatory, Port Rowan, Ontario, Canada, unpublished manuscript). Between the periods 1967-1982 and 1983-1995, hunting mortality was additive for immature male black ducks, indicating that the long-term decline of the black duck population was related to excessive harvest.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Muzzy - there is something special about those river floats, sneaking up on them. The best part is when a pair come around the bend head high and you only have a split-second to throw the gun up.
    He was a fine walker,an excellent woodsman and an expert marksman <br /> -Lewis Merriwether

I would not consider myself to be a true Duckhunter as many of you are, however I do see where many of you are coming from.

I grew up spending my summer vacations at my grandparents house two houses down from Lewisfield Plantation fishing for brim in the rice field. About the time of Thanksgiving every year you would hear shooting across the river and Dad would begin to reminence about the days he would spend in a duck blind on the river or the lake. He would talk about the abundance of waterfowl and the great times he and his brothers had. When I inquired as to why he no longer duck hunted he would tell stories about how hunters no longer respected other hunters and that there were way to many people on the water. He would complaine about people skybusting the birds and others that would set up right beside you at day break. When this began to happen he hung the waders up and boxed up the decoys. He said that people weren't going for the same reasons anymore.

I never really pushed for him to take my duck hunting but the gentlemen that lived next door to my grandparents offered to take me down the river about 5 years ago. I gladly accepted the invitation figuring it would be a change from sitting in a deer stand. From that morning till today I have been hooked. Granted that morning we saw I believe 2 ducks which weren't even in shooting distance, I still enjoyed every minute of it. There is something special about being on the water before the sun comes up and once the sun breaks over the top of the trees. It's amazing.

Now yes I will say that I do have a boat, just bought me some deeks and a few other goodies but I do not feel as if I go duck hunting because it is the "thing to do". I do it because I love being out there on the water.

And yes, I would be for a 3 bird limit.

Just my .02.

I will say one thing speaking from experience. The college chapters of DU bring alot of wannabees into the sport. I take employees of mine out every year who have better gear, a more expensive truck, and more expensive boat than I do. I do the best to teach them what I know. The problem is that they treat it like work and never listen to me. Back to the subject the college chapters do introduce alot of douche bags to the sport. The only thing I can say is that they always show you the newest gear and have no idea how to use it. That being said I do try to show them the light. At least the light as I know it.
    Your riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels.

A number of years ago, A plantation was developed. The fliers advertised "a limited number of homesites, quail, duck, deer, and a townhouse south of Broad".

The truth was, you got pay-per-hunt released quail, (released that day), 2 total days in a duck blind, and a small timeshare in a townhouse in Charleston. What was being marketed was not reality, but an idea. The idea that YOU can be a plantation owner and live that lifestyle (and tell your friends back in New York about it). Amazingly, that is just fine with plenty of folks. Talking about being a duck hunter is far more important than actually doing it, and without the work and discomfort!
    Its true - commercialization and marketing have created the "its the thing to do" crowd. But are they really adding to the overall pressure? I'm not sure. Think about the long lines of parked cars at the landings in the '70s. That's a thing of the past.
    But something I've also noticed - the marsh is often deserted in bad (perfect) weather, even on weekends, and crowded on bluebird days, especially early in the season, before they get bored.

I love those bad (perfect) weather days. Keeps all the rubbaheads and fair weather hunters at home. Went last year on one such day and did not so much as see another hunter nor hear another shot, but I got my limit. Hell, my fiance was with me and she had a blast.
    \"How rich will we be when we have converted all our forests, all our soil, all our water resources and our minerals into cash?\" - Ding Darling