Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decoy rigging question

Cabelas. Product # SH-22-4370

$9.99 per Doz.

Merg,

Closest to reservoir hunting I get is a big bay off the Potomac. I use one or two 2 lb grapple weights depending on the current. Typically I use weights on one end of the line. If the wind, is counter to the current I'll add weight on the other end.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Just make sure to use ENOUGH weight. We had 2- 20 decoy gang rigs pull anchor, drift down current, and wrap around a channel marker in St. Helena one afternoon (while napping on Raccoon Is.) like some guy had run them round and round with a jonboat. We still haven't figured out how the hell it happened but we had to cut the entire strings to bits just to recover the dekes... [img]graemlins/Can.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/Can.gif[/img]

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Thanks JAB!

And thanks Boon. Now I need to go out and get some diver dekes, or paint up some clorox bottles. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Merg, on big lakes, wind is the only issue you have, no current - I got these little iron folding anchors (I think from Knutsons) that open up like a grappling hook, and weigh about 1.5 pounds. I use on on each end of a gang rig... 10 to 20 dekes on a line.

Last year, I stopped using gang rigs as much, though, if the water was less than 8 or so feet deep. I like a big cluster of divers like they are rafted up on a food source.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

That is what I am thinking Swampy. I have been studying the old paintings and images of layout and sinkbox hunters. They also seemed to prefer a more natural presentaion than a long line of ducks. Not knowing the depths we will be gunning, I may just rig for deep and do a keel wrap this first morning. I haven't checked these GHG's close enough to even see if they have a line pinch at the front of the keels...

Just send PICS.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

They do JAB!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

JAB, the line pinch is TIGHT for some lines. for REAL long lines, those that are deeper than I care to Texas rig (which, anymore, is like 6-7 feet, the more I think about it), I keel wrap with line (like, Tanglefree) and I use a big weight. Those would double as tidal creek deeks, and would have long lines (up to 20+ feet) - I think a 1 pound mushroom would be ideal.

Here is a shot of a diver rig that Squatty and I shot over last year or the year before... all these are Texas rigged. I could wade to the furthest one when picking them up, so long lines were not needed. Spot selection is critical... but these divers feed mostly on freshwater mussels and clams, and those can be found on shallow gravel bars. Perfect for this rig.

What about three dozen diver dekes, a dozen puddlers, and a wad of coot dekes look like in the boat. There may be some geese under there too, and a boat cover to hide the boat....

Another key ingredient for exposed shoal duck whackage...

Like Salty and Rat, I too am a fan of Tanglefree line.

As to the GHG's, Bon-doogle mentioned to me on the phone the other day that the silly removable keel will not stay in place.

Is RTV the only answer?

I have found w/the GHG's that they are REALLY tight as they make that final "snap" when you slide the keel into position. On several occasions, I have just given the keel a few good whacks on the workbench and that has done the trick. If the keel isn't slid fully forward, this may be what you're dealing with. [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

I cheat on those keels. I ain't ever gonna take it off anyway.

I use a strong hot glue with a glue gun, run a bead in the front of the channel, then quickly ram the keel in until it locks. With the glue, they don't come loose.

I have a trick that I use on Tangle-Free that I will have to post up some picks for.

Jab,
    With the GHG dekes, you got to have two audible pops when installing the keel. Always look to make sure the keel is all the way forward. I tried the hot glue on a few, and with the glue in first, the keel apparently didn't lock-in on all of the dekes. These are the only keels I've lost.

You can put a little squirt-on hand soap or dishwashing soap on the keels to act as a lubricant to help slide the keels all the way up, on those that are especially difficult. The soap will wash right off when you hit the decoys with a water hose, or hunt them a few times.

I always use the hot glue that takes a few seconds to set. That way, it acts like a lubricant in and of itself. Apply glue, quickly insert keel, and bang the back of the keel on the edge of the work bench until it's all the way seated. Just don't bang TOO hard... I don't know how much more she can take, Captain.

No problems getting the keels to seat. What I am worried about is that Boony says they will loosen over time and fail to stay attached. Why the *%)**^ they would put removable keels on their decoys in the first place confuses me...

JAB,

For those keels....... a bit of Gorilla Glue has held all of mine in place since they were put into use. [img]graemlins/thumb2.gif[/img]
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Be careful with those ACE anchors - they'll take a tooth out if they slip!
    I always thought a website was a selling tool, not a product repair manual!

cool.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

2thDoc sez...

Buy more Ace anchors....