Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carolina Wildlife Syndicate - Samworth

Quote Originally Posted by jcoker View Post
    I stand correct. Know it all, pretentious and whiny is a better description.
    So you are happy with less than mediocre?

I just wanted to know his qualifications.

This is a disgrace... outdoorsman need to unify rather than this persistent jealous that someone might know more about an aspect than they do.

Thanks CWS, keep up the hard work. This is exactly how government oversight should happen. Private citizens holding public agencies funding by our money accountable.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

amen
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

First, Government sucks.

Second, I have worked 30 years to improve waterfowl hunting in SC. I have finally reached the position that I sought so I can be the most help. This year I had it lined up until cover. Bad luck.

Thanks to CWS, DU, Waterfowl, Delta and all of you who will not give up. DNR can do better.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

What a load of crap. There are no members of the CWS that have spent enough time working in duck habitat, coastal or otherwise that can even second guess what work is being done, much less vilify them on social media and the internet.
    Deddys upland impoundment in Seneca don’t count boys.

Deddy's coastal impoundmment doesn't count either when you are likely a trust fund drunk......

Sorry. I meant to say that knowledge gained whilst flooding and draining upland impoundments on a relative, friend,or your own property is not relative to the current subject matter.

Fred fed? Sure. But he managed, too. Spent long summer hours when most people don't give their impoundments a second thought, or hire a biologist and forget about it. Said biologist then goes out and drops a board in, or tales a board out about three times in 6 months. Consequently, the RH was choked with spikerush and wigeongrass.

Quote Originally Posted by formerly bohica View Post
    What a load of crap. There are no members of the CWS that have spent enough time working in duck habitat, coastal or otherwise that can even second guess what work is being done, much less vilify them on social media and the internet.
    Deddys upland impoundment in Seneca don’t count boys.
    You don’t have to have any experience working on coastal impoundments to know DNR doesn’t manage anything well. If you work for DNR it’s not a direct indictment of you and your skills, it’s just a recognition that the government bureaucracy can’t run anything well. Private enterprise with the exact same budget will double the output of a government agency, every single time. We’ve all seen it too many times across the board with government being inefficient and lacking the motivation to get it done.

ETA: I believe most of us know several people that work for DNR at different properties. The ones I know are good people but will tell you they don’t have to work hard most days. It’s not that they wouldn’t, but if management has a low bar, not many people will go far and above it. There’s just no incentive to (relatively low pay, bureaucratic promotions, low likelihood of getting fired, etc)
    Last edited by Remy; 10-24-2020 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by formerly bohica View Post
    Sorry. I meant to say that knowledge gained whilst flooding and draining upland impoundments on a relative, friend,or your own property is not relative to the current subject matter.
    So what is the answer?

Give up?

Sell to private?

Fund the 29 million?

Hire more staff?

Buy new equipment?

Put pressure on managers?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

You have to change the fundamental thinking of government agencies state and federal. Currently it’s do the minimum, make policies that make getting anything done almost impossible, don’t think for yourself and ask for more. There are a few good government property managers, but most of the good ones leave when they see how poorly things are run up top. What you are left with are the ones who just wanna get by and suckle the government teet.
    More Ducks, Less People

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    So what is the answer?
    The state should not carry the burden of managing waterfowl habitat in the first place and for many reasons. If the state must own land to provide opportunities for hunting, why must they try to provide it at a standard that was set by coal and oil barons of the 1800's?

It is like the government providing free cell phones to "create opportunity" for those who don't want to pay for their own. How does that ever work out?

I always go back to offshore fishing. Where is my government Tier One 80' Bayliss boat? Other people get to fish in the government's Gulf Stream. Why shouldn't every swinging dick have that opportunity? On the government's dime, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    The state should not carry the burden of managing waterfowl habitat in the first place and for many reasons. If the state must own land to provide opportunities for hunting, why must they try to provide it at a standard that was set by coal and oil barons of the 1800's?

It is like the government providing free cell phones to "create opportunity" for those who don't want to pay for their own. How does that ever work out?

I always go back to offshore fishing. Where is my government Tier One 80' Bayliss boat? Other people get to fish in the government's Gulf Stream. Why shouldn't every swinging dick have that opportunity? On the government's dime, of course...
    Now there’s an idea I can get behind! A government offshore boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Why not? The government puts on the Governor's Cup. It isn't fair that only the super wealthy get to participate. There are a slew of wildlife management grads who, I am sure, would make excellent offshore Captains just waiting for their opportunity to get behind the helm of multi million dollar boats. Don't they, and we the public, deserve to participate in our public blue marlin fishery just as we do our public duck hunting?

Thomas at this point I honestly just feel sorry for you. I wish you well in all your endeavors, check your health and ease up on the sips, you have a legacy and knowledge that should not be wasted as such.

Jab on that picayune line of reasoning- without the government owning lands or participating in any sort of land grant activity or any game management or licensing of any sort and considering history- how many ducks you reckon we would have at present, nah scratch that, how many hunters, nah scratch that, how many gun owners, how many wars lost, dang scratch that as well, would we still have the Second Amendment, dangit nevermind, would we still have our Freedom ?
    Last edited by Strick9; 10-24-2020 at 11:07 AM.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    The state should not carry the burden of managing waterfowl habitat in the first place and for many reasons.
    Every state, minus Hawaii has a waterfowl season and gma land. When the state sets aside money, charges hunters, taxpayers, etc for use of the resource, shouldnt the hunters and tax payers see a return on that investment? Maybe I just dont understand your comment and how waterfowl areas relate to offshore fishing. When I give SCDNR $20 every year for a draw hunt opportunity, regardless of if I get drawn or not, I expect that money, and everyone elses, to be used for the management of that specific resource.

In summary: If SCDNR is going to take money for draw hunt opportunities, that money should be put into those draw hunts areas accordingly.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Did you bump your head when you got out of bed?

Why not contract management of government land to a private contractor. 2 year contracts after budding. Poor outcomes then you will be unlikely to keep the contract.
    Last edited by Dawhoo; 10-24-2020 at 12:32 PM.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Dawhoo, there has been some talk of that SCNDR shot it down saying that long term contracting wasn't made permissible due to liability and codes.

I guess I am going to need an attorney by the way folks:

Thomas Morrison aka Bohica just threatened me with a libel suit for saying " Thomas at this point I honestly just feel sorry for you. I wish you well in all your endeavors, check your health and ease up on the sips, you have a legacy and knowledge that should not be wasted as such."

You can't make this stuff up.

At any rate, better can be done, SC congress is now more heavily involved and all eyes are on SCDNR , either they perform in the next year or I am guessing , hoping , praying that congress pushes the red button. We will be watching closely and will most certainly give credit where it is due.

I gotta go be mow some deeze grass to pay for mines attorney. Y'all have a good one.
    Last edited by Strick9; 10-24-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    Genesis 9;2