Thread: Geese!! HELP!!

OK. Got some deer hunting land up near Lee County. It has a little beaver pond in the bottom. I have seen a fair number of geese flying over. I can't imagine that they are using the beaver pond, but they sure seem to fly right over it. Off to the side of the pond is a 60 acre clearcut that slopes towards the pond...in other words, it has a high side and bank on it.

My question for all you goose hunters: Can i set up in the clearcut and expect to get the geese to leave their normal flight path and come in? Can i set up in the beaver pond and expect the same? I would hate to have to skybust those flying rats, but i sure would like to get them in the decoys.

i have no idea where thay are coming form or going to and have no desire to find out. I'm just wondering if you "pros" think i can get them to decoy in the pond or clearcut....

thanks in advance for all your wisdom....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Unless there is a severe change in wind direction, the geese will not change their flight pattern. The are creatures of habit. IMHO, it will be easier to get them to decoy in the clearcut, than in the beaver pond. Also, the geese move at the same time every day. Unless disturbed. Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

I am far from being an expert, but I have had some luck in situations similar to the one you described with a liberal use of the golden decoy (Zea mays).

If you get geese to decoy into a clearcut you should give up paindentistry and start your own goose killing business. I have never in my life seen geese in a cutover. Kind of like expecting deer to fly into duck decoys, I just don't think it's gonna happen.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Next time you go to Canada, try huntin geese, and not bear. You'll see it happen. Maybe your idea of a "cutover" and my idea of a "clearcut" are two different things. [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

Advice:
    I will go with you and your only 3 friends -Billy, Nutz and Cut One. You all set up the dekes and build blinds in the cutover. I will watch from the edge of the beaver pond(where the geese fly over) with my 3 1/2' - 12 ga auto with my 36" trap barrell loaded with Hevy shot! I will not charge for this service and besides you can have the geese that I take! Let me know.....my time is short! LOL
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Billy can't shoot. Teef, geese need a long runway for take off(not like dux) and don't like trees (meaning tall bushlines) too close to where the sit shit and eat.Get there long before daylight set up at the open end of your pond with the wind at your back.Have someone scare the shit outta them geese and water swat the bastages when they come your way.That or buy the 50pound bags of cheesies and "have a accident" at the edge of the clearing.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

He ain't going to Canada dude. He is going here in SC. I'm pushin the sexy ol age of 46 and I ain't EVER seen a goose in a clearcut or cutover. Maybe someone else has, if so I want to hear about it. Let the dumbass mofo sit in a clearcut, I will be in his beaver pond!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Just need sweetlips and some dekes.................The rest is supper
    More fuel = more boost!!

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Originally posted by KRT:
    Just need sweetlips and some dekes.................The rest is supper
    I sure hope you're joking and not serious about eating them nasty things! I've kilt a few of'em but I can barely get past the smell long enough to get one cleaned!

And them things smell worse than 3 day old chitlins in a microwave when you cook'em! Maybe if you can find some what's been grain fed all their lives, like out west, they'd be edible but these golf course grass eaters we have around here are just pure shitty! [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Mergie you never ate anything that smelled bad? Just hold your breath [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Smells like fish it's a dish......Smells like cologne leave it alone!
    More fuel = more boost!!

BTW Toof, carolina gold will change their flight patterns and landing zones!
    More fuel = more boost!!

Toopus you're a Rubberhead!
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Originally posted by KRT:
    Mergie you never ate anything that smelled bad? Just hold your breath [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Sure have, but it didn't have no feathers on it!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I'm glad the ol fart don't like em that's just mo fer me! In a bog wif some sausage,duck etc they are damn good.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Mergie your suppose to pluck em befoe u eat em
    More fuel = more boost!!