Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beautyberry Jelly

Yeah, I don't get anything like a strawberry taste. It's hard to describe...almost like the fragrance of a foaming handsoap from one of those bath and bed stores...haha
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I tried some this morning. Never canned before. Been about 3 hours cooling in jars but still liquidy. May not have put enough pectin in it. Guess we will see. Smells good and the cans sealed perfectly
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I tried some this morning. Never canned before. Been about 3 hours cooling in jars but still liquidy. May not have put enough pectin in it. Guess we will see. Smells good and the cans sealed perfectly
    I made two batches of beauty berry syrup by using a semi-processed sugar. Didn't know what happened but simply ran out of the "good" sugar and switched to a cheap bag of white, store-brand sugar and the next batch jelled almost immediately. It was the only time I had problems with it jelling.

Are you using a pressure cooker or cold canning,? I used the pressure cooker so maybe that's why mine turned out darker.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    Are you using a pressure cooker or cold canning,? I used the pressure cooker so maybe that's why mine turned out darker.
    No pressure cooker. I just boil 6 cups of berries with 8 cups of water until the berries all pop open. Everything turns kind of a gross brownish. I strain this with a cheesecloth bag. I'll usually get 9 to 10 cups of clear reddish liquid and a really gross bag of brown pulp and tiny seeds. I throw the pulp and seeds away.

Then for every 3 cups of the red juice heat it up and add one bag-in-the-box of Sure Jell original and stir it in. It blooms into a nice red liquid when the pectin is added. When it's close to boiling again, start adding pure white sugar until 4 1/2 cups are dissolved. Get it to a roiling boil for one minute. The it cool for a couple of minutes and there'll be a foam layer that's pretty easy to scrape off. What's left can be dipped out and put into sterilized canning jars then capped with new metal lids and rings. I let them sit on the table over night but the buttons should start popping within an hour. I put them in the refrigerator to cool them off completely

I use a glass measuring cup to dip out the hot liquid and pour into the canning jars and it's usually starting to jell and stick to the side of the measuring cup even when it is still too hot to hold the jars.

So after u add to jars you dont put them in water bath for 10 minutes to seal the lids?
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    So after u add to jars you dont put them in water bath for 10 minutes to seal the lids?
    Not to seal the lids - the cooling seals the lids and pops the buttons down. The water bath is to make the jars shelf-stable so they can be left in a dry pantry without spoiling. I do some like that but normally just put the whole batch in the fridge until I give them away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunting over bait? Haha. I've heard deer like the leaves but the only time I've ever watched them they only picked around and ate a leaf or two. I absolutely know that turkey love the rip berries.