Thread: Duck Calls

Can anyone give me some good tips on calls, I want to take the plunge and buy some expensive calls that will preform like I want them to when I am out in the feild. give me some good brands to look at and also what type of calls I need to have in my arsenal. Any tips will be greatly appreciated

The best advice I can give you is to try as many as you possibly can before you buy one. If you start with a call that you believe fits you then you will be more confident in the call. This confidence will sort of trick you into practicing or just blowing the call more and you will learn to operate the call better and faster. I will also suggect you order Keith Allens instructional CD. It is excellant for begginers and seasoned callers as well.
    Your riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels.

Duck Commander or Rich in Tone. RNT makes a wide variety of styles and materials. DC has a video called "The art of Commanding Ducks" well worth the money. Blow as many as you can before you buy one.
    "Hey bo is them ducks or sea gulls"

Take Salty's advice on the CD, a friend gave me a copy of Keith's CD and it solved all my problems, except for weather, ducks, water, etc.
    All jokes aside he explains it better the any other I have heard or watched. Best of luck and if you can't find a copy PM me and I will burn you one.

Originally posted by saltynut:
    The best advice I can give you is to try as many as you possibly can before you buy one. If you start with a call that you believe fits you then you will be more confident in the call. This confidence will sort of trick you into practicing or just blowing the call more and you will learn to operate the call better and faster. I will also suggect you order Keith Allens instructional CD. It is excellant for begginers and seasoned callers as well.
    this is the best advice anyone can give you bar none.
    Salty, do you have this saved on your PC for when this topic re-enters the forums?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

That really is a good cd. Keith is funny as hell. I shot the shit with him waiting to get on stage last year. His newer version of the "refuge feed" is unbelievable.
    As far as calls go, I'm an RNT fan now. An original or short barrel are really smoothe operating calls. The original has been calling in ducks since the 70's. It's tried and true. The new Micro Hen is the new rave. I haven't gotten my hands on one, the last call RNT sent me was a swirly, sparkly chartreuse and orange Daisy Cutter. It's my fave for the moment but I don't recommend the DC as a first call. You have to drive it a little different.
    When I was younger I always used to hear that practice makes perfect. Later I heard that nobody's perfect. So, I just stopped practicing.

RNT is the way to go, not only great calls, but exceptional customer service as well.

This is what we use on Reelfoot. This call is made by Dead on Calls. The hand machined aluminum call with spikes and black anodizing.

President of Coots Unlimited Reelfoot Lake TN Chapter #3

that is dope.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.