Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't (Completely) Fill Boat's Gas Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    The primer bulb fills when squeezed, so that's a good thing. Does this narrow the list of stuff I need to be checking?
    Yes....provided it doesnt suck down flat when running. If it goes flat, then you have a vent line issue.

I would start by trying to run a snake down the fill hose and see if you feel any obstructions.

Can you get us a pic of the filler?
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Pull the smaller hose off of that fitting and blow it out with an air hose. It doesn't look susceptible to dirt dobbers but it might be clogged nonetheless. If this is a sudden change, it's a clog.

My flats boat has a 90 degree turn in the filler tube right after the cap that makes me have to dribble gas in. It's been like that since I got it. Stupid design but there just isn't a better way to run it on such a low boat.

come on man, its a frigging hose that the nozzle goes in and it goes straight to the tank,
    it may or may not have a vent hose
    See if either is obstructed.........I'll send ya the bill

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Yes....provided it doesnt suck down flat when running. If it goes flat, then you have a vent line issue.

I would start by trying to run a snake down the fill hose and see if you feel any obstructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Pull the smaller hose off of that fitting and blow it out with an air hose. It doesn't look susceptible to dirt dobbers but it might be clogged nonetheless. If this is a sudden change, it's a clog.

My flats boat has a 90 degree turn in the filler tube right after the cap that makes me have to dribble gas in. It's been like that since I got it. Stupid design but there just isn't a better way to run it on such a low boat.
    These suggestions make sense. Will give them a try. Thanks again.

What do y'all use to unclog a gas line? I have a snake for running A/V wires and stuff behind walls. Would that work?
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    What do y'all use to unclog a gas line? I have a snake for running A/V wires and stuff behind walls. Would that work?
    Buy new gas lines.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    try putting the gas in the tank instead of the rod holder.
    Saw a guy at the gas station put 20 gallons in the rod holder before the auto bilge started shooting it out the side.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    Buy new gas lines.
    Yep.

Just go ahead and do it. If your vent hose is compromised and you "free the clog" you'll be pushing all that garbage down into you tank.

Also, those vented filler ports like you posted suck.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobieMcDoobie View Post
    Saw a guy at the gas station put 20 gallons in the rod holder before the auto bilge started shooting it out the side.
    Had the same thing happen years ago. 4 AM not much open. The one station had an attendant who pumped gas and only he pumped gas. Said people didn't know how and spilled fuel so we just let him pump it He ran about 5 gallon in the floor and ran out the drain on the boat. Yes he got a cussing.

is the problem the main, larger fill hose or the smaller vent hose?
    I have never seen a "clogged" fill hose unless something fell in it or the hose
    "collapsed" from age.
    Not a big deal to replace either, sometimes a pain in the ass knuckle buster due to access.
    The last one I did......I took a dremel and cut an access hole to reach the hose clamps and then put a nice round deck cover/plate over it.

If the tank is not sitting level when the boat is on the trailer and the vent connection is lower than the fill connection on the tank the vent will vapor lock as liquid will fill the vent line. I may also discharge gasoline before the tank is full. Mine will actually push gas out the vent line in the shop if the tank is over 3/4 full. If i lower the the trailer tongue the leaking stops as it breaks the lock and opens the vent to the tank.
    Last edited by centurian; 03-03-2022 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    is the problem the main, larger fill hose or the smaller vent hose?
    I have never seen a "clogged" fill hose unless something fell in it or the hose
    "collapsed" from age.
    Not a big deal to replace either, sometimes a pain in the ass knuckle buster due to access.
    The last one I did......I took a dremel and cut an access hole to reach the hose clamps and then put a nice round deck cover/plate over it.
    How long does the process take? I'm confident I already got all the tools I need, and I'm decently handy; would just need to get the hose. We talkin' minutes or hours?
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Get visor guy to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I don't speak a word of butt-hurt; please translate?

I'm not butt hurt in any way Bart. It was a joke bc he is big and....nevermind. It was funnier in my head.

You fill the tank until it spills over. Put the cap back on, squirt some dawn on it, and off you go.

you own a freeman and cant pay people to fix shit like this?

i'm about to stop congratulating you on the new bote.

I swear....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    i lol'ed
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.