Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm-08

Default 7mm-08

School me. I’ve got new gun fever and I’ve never had one.
    Always been a Remington 7/ 700 guy, but I’m thinking about a Tikka Superlight.

No schooling, but it is great whitetail caliber.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

I load a 150grn NBT over 46grn of H414 and get good accuracy. My other load is a 150grn NBT over 45.5grn of H4350, about 100fps slower but the accuracy is better, especially in the Sako 75.

Loads have a little more recoil than factory but they kill deer and hogs.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Like Salty said: 140 grain NBT over your powder of choice and go killin
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I got an 08 for both of my girls. Shooting 140gr Federal Fusions. I’ve been very pleased ( and surprised) with the results. My oldest shot a 315 lb hog last year and dropped him in his tracks.

Default 7mm-08

Bought a Savage youth model for the wife a few years ago. Shooting Hornady 139 Grain SST’s through it. Her and my boys have stacked up a bunch of deer with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FEETDOWN; 01-01-2020 at 10:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Hard to beat a tikka. I had a superlight 243. Trigger can be adjusted to breathe on it and it shot lights out
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

My 7mm08 Tikka Superlite is my whitetail gun of choice for the last 4-5 seasons. Hasn’t let me down yet and it’s more accurate than me.

I have the Superlite in 7mm-08 and .270
    I carry the .270 mostly cause I grew up shooting
    .270 and 30-06 but have pulled the trigger on the
    7mm-08 just once since sighting it in and dropped a
    7 point dead in his tracks at 60 yards. I don’t see
    me ever needing another deer rifle

Remington 700 7mm-08. 130 grain is all you need. Not only a great deer caliber, but if you plan on an antelope hunt, it is great for those long distance shots.

As said, it's a great deer round, and, as I've been told and read, will handle larger game with bonded bullets, etc.

About 20% or so less recoil than the .308 with essentially the same performance overall under 600 yds or thereabouts.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Easy button = Varget + 120/140/150 ballistic tips, everything will die in short order. (Don't sleep on the 120 BT, they are probably the toughest BT that nosler makes.) Throw in a Tikka and the easy button is even easier. If you want to run heavier, get a Tikka long action bolt stop and long action mag and you have miles of room to seat the heavies. About a 5 minute swap.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    I got an 08 for both of my girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Bought a Savage youth model for the wife a few years ago. Her and my boys have stacked up a bunch of deer with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All you need to know....

Build a mans gun.... .338

My dicks not that small...

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I load a 150grn NBT over 46grn of H414 and get good accuracy. My other load is a 150grn NBT over 45.5grn of H4350, about 100fps slower but the accuracy is better, especially in the Sako 75.

Loads have a little more recoil than factory but they kill deer and hogs.
    Sell me about 20 or 25 rounds
    Last edited by ecu1984; 01-01-2020 at 07:10 PM.

seems like a slighty fatter 6.5CM

In all seriousness if you reload go 7 Saum, you can load it down to 08 speeds or load her up to 3100s with the 140s. Best of both worlds with long barrel life, low recoil, inherent accuracy. Brass is not a problem any longer either.
    Genesis 9;2

I’m at the point where less is more. The SAUM sounds cool, but if I can’t walk into a gun store in Loris, SC or Kaycee WY and get it off shelf, I don’t want it anymore. I fondled a Tikka that Sportmans Whse in Wilmington had on clearance and thought I’d give one a try. 7-08 was one on the calibers they had in stock. That’s exotic enough.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

The 7mm-08 has been my go to rifle for years. I have killed a bunch of deer, hogs and yotes with it. The recoil is mild, about halfway between a .243 and a .308, which stands to reason. I have killed critters with 120 and 140gr NBT's as well as 140gr Prohunters. A few have been with the 120gr. TTSX, but I have stopped using them due to tiny exits. Most have been with the 120gr NBT. That bullet holds together better than many would think. Good size exits on broadside shots are the norm. With a 24 inch barrel you can get around 3100fps which is rather sporty. The 140's will give you around 2850fps. Obviously this varies with rifle and load, but is pretty much ballpark without stepping on it. Varget is my primary powder for several rifles that I have loaded for over the years (mine and friends). As you know, with that powder, groups don't shift due to temp changes. I drilled a yote recently at 239 yards. With a 200 yard zero it hit about 2 inches low, right where expected.

In summary the 7mm-08 has a lot to offer. First, recoil from a light weight rifle is mild. It is a cartridge that is well suited to the temp insensitivity/clean burning advantages of Varget or even H4350 (with heavier bullets). It is as flat shooting as a .270 Win. (with less recoil) when using a capable 120gr bullet and accuracy tends to be very good........and in a pinch factory ammo is readily available.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 01-02-2020 at 10:42 AM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I think I have owned dang near every caliber from a 243 to a 7mm ultra mag over the years before all these 6.5's came out.

But of all of them, the 7mm-08 has consistently been more accurate, and has lead to more DRT shots than any other. Magnums included.

I think the light recoil just really helps the shooter focus on the shot, which in turns leads to more bang flops.

It is my favorite caliber by far.

I have a little Stevens 200 that will drive tacks with factory Hornandy ammo
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.