Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marijuana on one. Reefer on two...

Default Marijuana on one. Reefer on two...

The push to make marijuana legal for medical purposes is gaining steam in conservative South Carolina. Businesses are positioning themselves to cash in first on hemp, and then on marijuana.

Alex English’s basketball skills made him a legend in the Palmetto State and the nation.

His No. 22 jersey was retired by the University of South Carolina Gamecocks. He went on to become the NBA’s most prolific scorer In the 1980s — better than Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar — and was inducted into its Hall of Fame.

Today English, 65, has a new passion — getting in on the ground floor of South Carolina’s budding cannabis industry.

“I want to sell a natural organic product that helps people,” he said, sitting in the den of his well-appointed home in Blythewood.

English is a partner in a new company called GreenSmart Botanicals, along with former U.S. Attorney Bill Nettles and long-time Sumter County farmer Edward Forte. They are just one of a growing number of entrepreneurs positioning themselves to cash in on the cannabis industry in South Carolina.

South Carolina has just begun allowing farmers to grow hemp, the cannabis cousin to marijuana that is used in a variety of products from biofuels to textiles. Unlike marijuana, hemp won’t get you high.

Last year, the state allowed 20 farmers to grow experimental hemp crops and was scheduled to double that number this year. But in December Congress passed a law that allowed anyone to grow hemp.

So now, South Carolina farmers can start their cannabis growing and processing operations. They may also expand or switch to marijuana if a bill called the Compassionate Care Act, which would legalize the use of marijuana for medical purposes, passes the S.C. General Assembly.

English and his partners want to secure one of the 15 licenses to grow weed that would be granted under the bill. They plan to invest $3 million to $5 million in the business, which would initially grow hemp and then marijuana, extract CBD oil and open dispensaries.

The Compassionate Care Act calls for opening at least one medical marijuana dispensary in each county.

The partners wouldn’t say what the estimated return on their investment might be; but, “we hope the profits will be high,” English said, “no pun intended.”

‘NOT GOING TO STOP’
    The S.C. General Assembly is debating the bill, which would allow doctors to authorize marijuana use for people suffering from a list of debilitating illnesses, from epilepsy to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Patients could purchase up to 2 ounces of marijuana or an equivalent derivative — vape oil for example — every two weeks. It would be sold at one of 100-plus dispensaries around the state.

The bill is scheduled to be debated by the Senate Medical Affairs Committee next week.

See highlights of the legislation here.

Last year, the Compassionate Care Act advanced to both the full S.C. House and Senate; but the session ended before the bill could be debated by either chamber.

This year, Republican state Sen. Tom Davis of Beaufort resubmitted the bill with renewed vigor. As chair of a Senate Medical Affairs subcommittee, Davis met with the bill’s chief opponents and vetted amendments.

The State Law Enforcement Division, the S.C. Sheriffs’ Association and the S.C. Medical Association, among others, oppose the bill.

Davis’ bill faces a Wednesday deadline to pass from the Senate to the House. After that, the chances of passing both sessions this year are slim.

Legalization “is going to happen,” Davis said. “I’m not going to stop until it does.”

A MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR BUSINESS
    One of the bill’s chief proponents is Janel Ralph, chairwoman of the pro-cannabis Compassionate SC advocacy group.

She owns Palmetto Synergistic Research, a Conway-based company that produces Palmetto Harmony hemp oil. The company was one of the first cannabis start-ups in the state.

The business was born when Ralph couldn’t find in South Carolina the high quality cannabidiol products that alleviated her daughter Harmony’s epileptic seizures, she said. Cannabidiol, or CBD, is a compound found in both marijuana and its non-psychoactive cousin, hemp. It can be sold legally in South Carolina.

In 2015, before South Carolina legalized growing hemp, Ralph began searching for high quality hemp in Kentucky, where it was legal. She started extracting high quality CBD in large quantities for export to the Palmetto State, where it was converted into products like creams, patches, capsules, even CBD for pets called Palmetto Paws.

She imported the oil in 55 gallon drums and had a bottling and labeling facility in an industrial park near Coastal Carolina University — an industrial park she eventually outgrew. She sells her products both online and in her Palmetto Harmony shop in Conway, as well as selling wholesale to other distributors.

The company employs 26 full-time workers and three part-time workers. It plans to add another eight or nine workers by the end of the year.

Ralph’s gross sales?

“Let’s just say we’re a multi-million dollar business,” she said.

VERTICALLY INTEGRATED OPERATION
    In 2017, Ralph, through her Compassionate S.C. group, became one of the leading voices behind the legalization of hemp in South Carolina.

In 2018, after landing the first of 20 permits to grow hemp from the S.C. Department of Agriculture’s hemp pilot program, Ralph grew 4,000 plants from seven species to find out which species was best suited for the Pee Dee’s soil and climate. For CBD oil, all of the plants must be grown organically, so the biggest concerns were pests, molds and mildews.

“We learned a lot,” she said at the time. “It’s a lot like organic tobacco.”

This year, Ralph plans to plant 25 to 30 acres of hemp in addition to plants grown in her 100,000-square-foot greenhouse.

And if the Compassionate Care Act becomes law, she plans to add a second 100,000-square-foot growing operation in an enclosed, secure warehouse and open a second extraction and bottling line. She also plans to be licensed for dispensaries.

Collectively, the operation — growing, processing and dispensing — would create an estimated 125 jobs three years after legalization, Ralph said. Medical marijuana operations require more people because of security concerns and a higher level of refinement during processing.

“We would go for all three licenses“ allowed under the law, for growing, processing and dispensing marijuana, she said. “We would be a completely vertically integrated operation.”

What the economic impact of South Carolina’s fledgling marijuana industry will be is a mystery.

Sen. Paul Campbell, R-Berkeley, a member of Davis’ subcommittee, was tasked with building an estimate.

Using figures provided by the Marijuana Policy Project, the nation’s leading marijuana legalization advocacy group, he posited that legalizing marijuana for medical purposes would generate $112 million in net revenue — from sales to licensing — and create 15,000 to 2,000 jobs.

(The Marijuana Policy Project also has had boots on the ground lobbying and tracking legislation throughout South Carolina’s cannabis debate. A spokeswoman said two staffers have visited the state about twice a year since 2016, and the organization hired two lobbying firms, Ed Givens and Denny Public Affairs. It also provides guidance to Ralph’s Compassionate SC.)

Campbell says he supports the bill because he believes it will lower opioid addictions and therefore Medicaid costs, although he couldn’t provide data showing that. Also, proponents have said that sales taxes and licensing fees would cover the state’s cost of implementing the program, although those costs have not been calculated.

“I would like to see, if nothing else, it break even” in terms of state revenue, Campbell said. “And if it could cut down on opioid deaths and lower Medicaid costs ... if we can reduce pain for these people, I’m all for it.”

THE GOLDEN TIME
    Despite a few pioneers like Ralph, the business community in South Carolina still doesn’t understand the potential of weed on the Palmetto State’s economy, said Nettles, the former U.S. Attorney and Alex English’s partner in GreenSmart.

“It hasn’t been fully mobilized” in the legalization debate, he said.

To get the ball rolling, Nettles formed the Palmetto Medical Cannabis organization, which last year paid $72,000 to four lobbyists —Amber Barnes, Brian Flynn, William Boan and the late Robert Adams — to build support for the Compassionate Care Act. The four are all on the staff of McQuireWoods Consulting, headed by former Gov. Jim Hodges.

Nettles is backing the bill because he said marijuana is a way out of the opioid crisis. And profit is a way to ensure that it is grown and gets into the hands of the people who need it.

“If we don’t have a way for people to make money, it’s going to be hard to get people to do it,” he said.

Nettles said “the golden time” for South Carolina businesses to reap the rewards of medical marijuana will be between the time South Carolina legalizes it and before the federal government does. When it becomes legal across the nation, large, well-established national and international global interests will flood produce across state lines.

“That’s when there will be the highest return on investment,” he said.

‘LIFE CHANGING’
    And like English and Ralph, others are starting to see the potential for profit and an opportunity to help others, Nettles said.

Billy Lynch of Hartsville, who owns AutoPlex, a wholesale and retail automobile dealership, said he is putting together a growing operation.

Lynch said he was motivated to join the cannabis movement when his brother and business partner, William James “Bucky” Lynch, died of cancer three years ago.

“It was horrible,” he said. “It was very painful. And there was nothing they could do to get him out of the pain.”

(There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that marijuana reduces pain by affecting the nerve receptors that cause it. It has also been shown to help a variety of maladies in mice. But because marijuana is listed as a Schedule I drug, there has been no formal FDA-approved human trials.)

Lynch and his partners plan to invest $8.5 million to $10 million in a 100,000-square-foot growing operation near the North Carolina border, perhaps in the Chesterfield County area. He plans to first grow hemp, then switch to marijuana if the Compassionate Care Act passes.

He plans to initially employ 30 people, but is holding off on pulling the trigger on his planting operation until he sees the direction the bill’s amendments will take as it moves through the process.

“We’ve been monitoring the bill and looking at properties to erect a greenhouse,” he said.

But Lynch noted that the industry is not for everyone. It is labor and knowledge intensive and fraught with risks.

“People think it’s something you can do in your back yard,” he said. “This is an industry. You could spend $15 million and end up with nothing to show for it.”

But Lynch has spent two years researching growing operations across the country, and is confident that he can make a go of it.

“I’m passionate about it,” he said. “It will bring a lot of revenue to the state of South Carolina. And It’s life changing.”

https://www.thestate.com/news/specia...228446359.html

"English is a partner in a new company called GreenSmart Botanicals, along with former U.S. Attorney Bill Nettles and long-time Sumter County farmer Edward Forte. They are just one of a growing number of entrepreneurs positioning themselves to cash in on the cannabis industry in South Carolina."

If that's not the most South Carolina sentence I've read in a while...

What? You didn't think that they were going to let the small farmer in did you?

North Carolina is way ahead in this game, way ahead
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    North Carolina is way ahead in this game, way ahead
    If they are going to do it, and you know they are, they might as well go ahead and make the jump to making it legal for recreational use.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    If they are going to do it, and you know they are, they might as well go ahead and make the jump to making it legal for recreational use.
    You are correct.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    I agree

even so, medical use or even recreational use makes you a prohibited person when it comes to guns.... be very careful with that slippery slope! Until the feds change their ways I will choose my right to a firearm over that mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbird View Post
    even so, medical use or even recreational use makes you a prohibited person when it comes to guns.... be very careful with that slippery slope! Until the feds change their ways I will choose my right to a firearm over that mess.
    How is Marijuana and alcohol different in that regard? You can’t drink and conceal carry in a bar legally. You could also throw prescription opioids in that as well. I guess I don’t see your point.

Banded, I'm only stating the fact of federal law that if you use or possess mary J you become a prohibited person from possessing and using a firearm much like a convicted felon. Please read, ATF 4473 Section 11 question E. If you've bought a gun from a FFL you should recognize it. You are right about alcohol except you still have your rights because the use of alcohol is not prohibited by federal law.

Link for the lazy...

jpeg2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    How is Marijuana and alcohol different in that regard? You can’t drink and conceal carry in a bar legally. You could also throw prescription opioids in that as well. I guess I don’t see your point.
    Because neither of them are a question on a 4473. Weed is.

It also states they don't care if it's legal in your state. It is still illegal under federal law, as such if you check that box

e under question 11, you have just disqualified yourself from purchasing a fire arm.

Prescription opioids assuming you were the one prescribed are legal, if they were not prescribed that is question wait for it....."e" again.

Last I checked alcohol is a depressant. If you unlawfully use it or are addicted to it....you guessed it question "e" covers that also.

So that is how they are different.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

I see what y’all are saying now. Carry on

Side note: if you are prescribed opioids and don’t use them as prescribed, that is illegal use. IE if bottle says one every 12 hours and you take one every 4.

I feel like very soon you are going to see it legalized in the national level. Less than 10 years imho.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 04-10-2019 at 08:58 AM.

You are absolutely correct!

Canada went legal last year. You have 11 states legal for recreational use.

18 medical use, but that ends up on the street just like opioids.

They mine as well legalize it now, tax it and let it go.

Same with opioids. The government not the Sackler family is responsible for the current mess. Back in '07 the government started fooling around with what could be prescribed. Then in '14 they moved Hydrocodone to the same level as morphine. They also said you need to stop prescribing. Were there pill mills? Sure. but rather than go after that they went after grand ma and folks suffering long term pain. What the hell did they think folks were gonna do just stay in pain? Did you think stoping someone cold rather than weening them off was a great idea? HELL NO! They will find a way to cure the urge. So there you go the idiotic government and their good intentions created the market for black tar and the easy to produce Fytenal!

But lets demonize a family that wanted to make profit and brought a wonderful product that helps folks in pain. Yes, cooperate greed looks bad, but it is what leads to break through technology and brings us great things.

I mean today you have folks who are seasoned citizens end of life and have been on some therapeutic opioid treatment for 20-25 years, but due to the ridiculous tightening of regs granny can't get her meds. Who the hell cares if I'm 890 and shitting my self what I take??

By the way you can take opium all your life and never have a ill effect. You can not do that with alcohol or acetaminophen, both will kill you. Opium kills fast because of acute respiratory shut down. This fact alone is why acetaminophen should not be included in conjunction with opium based drugs. Same with NSAIDs they should not have to be mixed, but you can once again thank the government. But NSAIDs will kill you if taken too long as well.

The one that will not is Opium.

Now as far as CBD from everything I've researched and been apart of that seems perfectly safe. It doesn't seem to have any ill effects. THC is another animal. There are some weird stomach issues that are appearing, and even psychosis with the ultra high THC levels being achieved by refining process. So don't think that cannabis has been tested and tried enough to say it is perfectly safe.

But using the Benjamin Franklin theory every thing in moderation, one can navigate the landscape of better living through chemistry!

Government doesn't need to be involved regulating the stuff other than too insure what doses and quality your getting.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

What's the easiest way for me to enter the spirit realm since I ran out of shrooms?

If you want to see what long term opium use looks like check out Aerosmith in Vegas right now.

They are 71 years old and I mean kicking ass.

Tyler used everything but his choice of drug was opioid pills. Those rags wrapped around the mike were there for a purpose they had pockets sowed in, in order to house pills. Perry was main lining. Supposedly both are clean. I have some reservations about Perry and his collapse earlier this year. It had all the hallmarks of trying to start back to fast.

Now I'm not saying they were not a hot mess and made some bad decisions, but the point is their drug of choice does not kill long term its too much too fast.

Another one Jimmy Page, but he has been clean since late 80's

Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    What's the easiest way for me to enter the spirit realm since I ran out of shrooms?

DMT
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

I might play football, but I'll never sign this
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

illegal SC growers need to step up production before the margins are gone

Trump should decriminalize it in October 2020 and ride into his second term on smooth waters. The sound of liberal heads exploding would be deafening.