Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Federal TSS shotshell prices.

I'd guess working a turkey to 60 yards nets probably 75% of turkeys that respond to a call, at least in SC in wooded areas and if you are willing to be patient. I say that to show I am basing my opinion on my experience. As for a super full choke, any turkey hunter worth his salt knows you are shooting at a pecan on a pencil. From what I understand super full chokes came about to make that happen to the accepted lethal range of the loads available, around 40 yards. There was a reason rifles were outlawed and only shotguns were allowed going forward. Now we are trending back IMO. Do you think that might have some impact on regulations in the future? Perhaps come at some cost due to the advancement in ammunition technology? I guess we will see. I wonder, do you use a 10 gauge for squirrels, quail and rabbits?

I can and will disagree about how much working is done to get a turkey to 60 yards. I'll also argue that the margin for error in range estimation is increasingly multiplied at each distance, especially while sitting on your duff in a flat river bottom watching a tom linger. There has always been a percentage of kill every season due to hunters shooting at and not recovering turkeys at extreme distance. If you think TSS is going to lessen that percentage, well I think you are wrong.

Use whatever you want as long as it's legal, just please be safe about it and respect the resource. Beyond that, who cares what I think?
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

For me, the best experiences that happen in turkey hunting happen inside of 40yrds. Playing the game is what I enjoy. Killing the turkey only signifies the end of the game. I have no desire to end the game at 60yrds.
    You are certainly free to due as you wish, within the law.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Squirrels and rabbits don't have enough social media cred for today's turkey crowd.

if I thought TSS would knock out more squirrels to Jake, Id be shooting it. kno dat!!!
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Last years birds were 15yds with 28ga, 35yds with 20ga, and 12 yds with16ga, all with TSS. Was TSS necessary? Nope. So why use TSS you might say ?because I can, and because I like the added insurance. if I happen to hit low on the turkey, he is dead. I get mostly pass throughs on the body with TSS.

I was thinking about this thread after I shot a bird opening morning with TSS. I had to laugh. For the first time that I recall, the bird i shot didn’t flop at all. It just keeled over and laid there dead as a door nail. Must have been that TSS!
    Carolina Counsel

It sometimes does that, no kidding. A mushy hole in the bird, no flouncing. After seeing chilled, nickel plated, steel, copper plated, both kinds of hevi shot, hevi steel, yada yada the tss is bad medicine for the yard bird. Damndest I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by FBT View Post
    Yeah im about tired of hearing idiots say "he didnt even flop, Bo". I want him to flop. The deader you dead something, the more he is going to flop.
    I like all that, too. I also liked how my 8 yr old killed his first bird stone cold dead at 25yds with a 20ga Saturday.