Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 6 day solo backpack MT antelope

You went out there not knowing the details on where you could and couldn’t camp? Sure hope you get the worked out.

Are you sure you're in America? It looks like they're charging $0.10 for mayonnaise on a hamburger.

But all of that is cool, character building s*** right there

When in doubt, stand your ground and pitch a tent. Also camp where you want to.

I wouldn’t worry about BLM tagging those camping spots. Doesn’t look like the type of place they’d hang around for long. Worst case scenario you wake up in the middle of a misguided protest. And you’re armed.

Good luck! Flying to Denver Sunday then driving to NE WY. Antelope tag in hand, gonna pick up a leftover deer tag in Gillette.
    Last edited by FLS; 10-04-2018 at 08:32 PM.

Man that sounds fun. We were talking about doing something just like that today at work. I have never done any back packing so I would have a hard time with what I needed to take. I get nervous when I can’t see my truck! If y’all ever need anything it’s probably in my truck.

Day 2 (real day 2): well these boots suck. They are soaked through so I am rotating my 3 pair socks every 6 hours or so giving a pair time to dry only to be instantly soaked again.

Snow flurries in the morning but pretty nice out now. Actually just swatted a mosquito. It was tiny compared to the ones a home.

I scouted damn hard all day. Some of the BLM portions are small enough to drive by. Some are so big it would take a couple days to scout. Those big ones tend to be higher North in my unit and feature more ridges and little switchbacks. Seems antelope are NOWHERE near those.

Saw 3 groups of mulie, one buck. Glassed two groups in different fields, one group a couple miles back in a BLM at daybreak. Saw 2 or 3 groups of wild pheasant, heard many more - all on public land. Saw 2 groups of sandhill crane, bunch of Canada geese, bunch of mallards. 2 coyotes. Killed a whistle pig at some point and carried it around in my bag for a while for some reason. Saw some turkies.

First half of day was on foot, 1130 on was all driving with some walking to check over distant ridges. I saw only three herds of pronghorn. 1 was just in a farming field. 1 was near a large BLM but staying down in the fields. 500yrd from public. Had 3 bucks, all shooters. One was DAMN big. Instagram shit. Last group was about 400yrd from public and had 2 shooters. These could feasibly walk into public as the fields were connected.

My rental truck just started knocking bad then the oil pressure drops to nothing. This is a tundra FWIW. Luckily it happened right in front of Pompeys pillar so i'm sitting here eating a mountain house letting my feet dry and waiting for a tow truck to get me back to a new rental.

All the BLM I've been on was no overnight. I was under the impression I could sleep on any BLM. Called today but no response. MT FWP had no clue either way. Called biologist to ask where the antelope were but she took vacation the whole week.

No clue what i'm doing tonight. Just looking at maps trying to decide for morning game plan. Season opens in a.m.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Either get you a pair of boots tonight at anywhere or go on amazon tonight and order you a pair of seal skin socks and overnight to your hotel if you can. Worth the money

What boots you got?

Thanks for sharing.

So awesome

That’s a damn woodchuck. Kill every one you can
    cut\'em

Still sounds awesome to me. A kill would be a bonus. Cant wait to chase an elk in dec.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Damn it Rodney quit hanging around truck stops looking for passion and go kill something.

Not sure what they think of their antelope but I'd be knocking on any farmhouse doors and asking for some Intel and permission.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Work starts now. Epic hunt

Woot...cant wait to read the details.

Boom!

This almost ruined the day more later