Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruger M77 thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I'm not sure how much clearer I can be. They all fucking suck!!!!
    Better?
    So, what you're saying is, a T3 stainless for less than $500 would be a no brainer replacement for my M77?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 08-11-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I sighted in the Ruger yesterday. Loved the Accupoint!!! IMO The only way I’d own a M77 is for sentimental reasons, and I wouldn’t hunt with it because the action sucks!! At least the one I shot....

The early Ruger 77s did not have the best barrels on them. Later they bought a GFM Rotary Forge and started hammer forging their own barrels and they became much better. I have had two MkIIs (260 Rem) and like others say the triggers are not target grade but can be replaced and you can live with them. One did not shoot well till I lapped one lug down enough so both lugs contacted the receiver and then it started shooting.

Insofar as bedding the synthetic stocks be advised I am not aware of any bedding material that will adhere to the stocks. I had a good friend who was a stock designer at Remington and he told me that there was nothing that would stick to them. I had one with a laminated stock and that was best shooter.

I really like the MkII Safety. I would say it is the safest in the industry.

If anyone runs up on a early model missing the slide on the tang safety it is likely stolen. I had a good friend who wanted a good trigger and only way I could make it good was to put a piece in the trigger that made the trigger think it had the safety installed. That made it into a nice trigger. When I showed it to him he was hesitant but after he tried the trigger he was in love with it. I told him the new safety was carry rifle with empty chamber or the bolt raised. At any rate his house was broke into (Aiken County) and the rifle was stolen. He did not have the serial number recorded but I can identify the modification I made to it.

Now if anyone is looking for something unique I have a Ruger 77 Prototype sniper rifle made for Royal Canadian Mounted Police in my collection. Heavy barrel (458 Mag Contour) roll stamped by Ruger. I conducted accuracy trials on it at the request of Steve Vogel (Bill Ruger's son it law) who was a good friend. They sent me the rifle and Fed Match ammo, I shot it at 100 to 300 yards and sent them the targets. I asked Steve if I could buy the rifle and they told me to keep the stock, send barreled action back and he gave me the price, I sent them a check and then they sent it to FFL holder and I went and signed for it and put it back together. It has a all brown laminated stock on it. Have not shot it since. Had it like 30 years. Guess it's time to sell it.
    Last edited by Hummer; 09-16-2018 at 08:16 AM.
    Distinguished Rifleman High Power & Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), US Palma & Dewar Teams , Formerly US Army Picatinny Arsenal Small Cal Wpns Lab, Spec Projects Group Dover Devil Cal 50 Machinegun , Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Prov Gnd, Member Int Wound Ballistics Assn., consultant to Fed Law Enf Tng Ctr, Glynco, US Border Pat, Defense Crim Inv Service, Army Munitions and Chem Cmd, Army Wound Ballistics Lab, NRA Life 1972, AC4HT, Firefighter 1, Shriner

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    .270 with the skeleton stock. Timney trigger, Burris 4.5-20x50mm scope. I custom made a stock plate to raise my eye up in line with the crosshairs.

Not incredibly accurate but I'm confident the gun is more accurate than its operator. I kill deer with it just fine as is.

I want to bed the stock myself soon then have the barrel crowned by a professional at some point.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Can you tell me what the rubber protector on barrel is called and/or where I could get one, assuming that is what it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found it I think

Now that I found it, did it change anything on that rifle?? Seems a but far fetched. I thought it was for resting on other metal or abrasive surfaces to protect barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's it.

It kinda makes sense when you think about it. From the reading I've done rifle bedding can affect a rifle's accuracy due to harmonics alone. This doohicky is the same concept but is more or less a shortcut. The right thing do is to bed the stock.

When I bought it it seemed to tighten my groups in a tad. I worked so hard to get that thing on I just left it there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

There was a few years of unreliable barrels. some were dead on and others just couldnt do it. I have a 308 from the 70s that makes up for my lack of shooting abilities.

A hunt club buddy is putting his tang model m77, a 25-06, on the market just because it is using room for all these 6.5 CMs he's buying. This M77 is great. His misses are his fault.

I'd get it but I've had a 25-06 before and I now have 308s and 243's. and a 223 or a few. Dont want another caliber. Well, there is the 4570.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.