Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger M77 thoughts

Seemed to, yeah. I didn't document the results but I moved it several times and at end the moved it back to the one spot where I shot the tightest group.

Might be placebo affect but it's staying put for now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 08-04-2018 at 03:22 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I have had one of these in .270 that my dad gave me 25 yrs ago. Killed deer out past 150 yards no problem. It is absolutely as accurate as I am. I wouldn’t hesitate to pick up another in the right caliber. It even loves 130 grain core lokts.

I have owned several and what I learned was, you either get a great one that is balls dead accurate and love it forever
    or you get one that is all over the paper.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I have owned several and what I learned was, you either get a great one that is balls dead accurate and love it forever
    Amen...... Many years ago I had one that patterned instead of grouped. Shot a broadside deer once and the deer dropped like it had been unplugged. Held for a high shoulder shot. When I walked up to the deer I found that I had hit it in the head. Pure luck. Accuracy was almost as bad as a 742. Have seen a few that would shoot and a bunch that wouldn’t. Big gamble.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Is it safe to say that poor barrel inletting and contact with the stock may be their main accuracy problem? If I had to put a harmonic damper on a rifle to maintain a group, that rifle would be gone quick.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Is it safe to say that poor barrel inletting and contact with the stock may be their main accuracy problem? If I had to put a harmonic damper on a rifle to maintain a group, that rifle would be gone quick.
    Probably, barrel contact is practically never a good thing. Also, unless they have changed, their front screw is wierd in that (IIRC), it pulls diagonally. This would likely make front screw torque critical.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I'm pretty sure the diagonal front screw is limited to the No.1's. My M77 MarkII doesn't have an angled front screw but my No.1 does.

I floated the barrel on my M77 myself. It's sub MOA all day long.
    Last edited by Simple Man; 08-04-2018 at 08:59 PM.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

I have seen accurate ones and ones that aggravated the hell out of me. For a long time, SLED ran M77's in 308 and in wood stocks as their sniper rifles. Varmint weight barrels. They were dead-nuts accurate. Then again, a friend had a M77 Ultralight in 250 Savage that SUCKED. I think the light barrel and bedding was the main issue.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I mounted an Accupoint on one for a friend. My first impression was “this action sucks!” Like trying to slide two pieces of sandpaper together. It was a stainless and you could see the imperfections in the metal. I put the grease to it, helped a little but still sucked. BUT..... he grandson loves it and killer the piss out of deer with it. In the end, I guess it boils down to if you u like it.

Default Ruger M77 thoughts

I guess I have been lucky and only picked up good” ones. I have the M77 Skelton Stock in .22mag, .270, 30.06, and I have the M77 Mark II Sporter in .308
    It took a while to find the loads each one liked and once I did, they are as accurate as any of my other rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Johnny Reb; 08-05-2018 at 10:09 AM.

The onky thing wrong with these guys is the Mauser action. Pure junk! With all the options available for cheap and extremely accurate guns it continues to baffle me why people even consider junk like the ruger 77.
    Remington, savage, tikka all make guns that cost < $500 and will constatanly shoot 1" groups. which is beyond the capability of most people on here
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I've shot an M77R (top tang safety) .270 since 1975. I've probably killed close to 100 deer with that rifle (I can get the actual count from my game log) at ranges from 20 yds to over 400, 85% of those neck shots. One was a 9 point 175lb buck running right to left at 200 yds, dead center of the neck. The only accuracy problem I ever had was after it fell 40' out of a stand built in a Sycamore tree in north Ga. I watched it fall, it slammed into the tree once, bounce out and stuck barrel first into the ground. Didn't bust the scope but I never could get the scope to hold anymore so I bought a new better one.

JAB shoots a .25-O6 M77, and like he said once, he could thumb that safety off and never spook the skeeter biting his thumb.
    And he's 100% on that.

Perhaps the most novel feature of the M77 is the only one that has not been redesigned, the angled action screw. The front action screw of traditional bolt-action rifles draws the receiver directly down against the stock. The M77 uses an angled screw that draws the action down and to the rear, tightly bedding it against the stock.
    The 3 lug bolt when it came out was the strongest in production.

The Gunsight Scout designed by Col. Cooper is an M77 variant.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

No fan of them but I do have one in 22 wmr that drives tacks and have done several trigger jobs for buddies with them. They are built heavy duty but with poor tolerances.
    Genesis 9;2

I owned a 30-06. Trigger was horrible, put rifle basix in it still didnt like it. Bought a 308 one that grouped the size of a piece of notebook paper. Only ruger rifles i own are #1's and a 10-22. Like griffin if i want a fine shooting bolt gun a savage or tikka will get the nod. I have a classic model 70 that shoots better than i can so im pretty covered
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I had one in 2506, beautiful gun, heavy barrel....grouped like 00 buck shot, not matter who shot it with whatever ammunition....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

I still like em if they are the older tang safety model and have the red butt plate/pad.
    That is the one you want

My M77VT in 25-06 is a tack driver. Fully floated barrel. I did bed it. Normal models use a pressure point at front of stock to barrel. Some like more pressure others like to be floated. Front angled action screw should be torqued down first. Then the rear screw snugged down. The center screw should only be tightened enough to keep it in place.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

M77, Tang Safety, 25/06, Heavy barrel. The one I shoot is really ammo finicky. Tried 4 factory loads that may have held about 4" at the best off sand bags at 100yds. Went through a few hand loads, some better, some worse, but finally found what it likes and that gun with those bullets rival my .17 in accuracy. Which reminds me, I need to make more, I only have three left.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

It seems the Varmit barrels are the only good ones. How would one tell if it had a varmit barrel?

I'm not sure how much clearer I can be. They all fucking suck!!!!
    Better?
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.