Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trigger Upgrade advice

Default Trigger Upgrade advice

Have been toying with the idea of upgrading the trigger to something aftermarket in my Ruger M77 25-06. Not looking to shoot a mile but wanting the creep gone with a nice clean break. Timney makes one that seems reasonably priced enough. Anything else I should be looking at? Thoughts and recommendations greatly appreciated. Also needing a gunsmith in the Columbia area that would be able to handle said upgrade.

Timney
    Jewel

Never done a 77, doubt its all that hard. At least a 700 and Savage aren’t.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Only other brand I have seen mentioned is rifle basix. Any experience there? A little cheaper than the timney but would obviously pay for the timney if it is substantially better.

I had a rifle basix in a 77 hawkeye. It was not my favorite. If they have a timney for it go for that. Ive owned a few 77's. Every one of them had tons of creep. Almost felt like a 2 stage military trigger
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Timney period
    Jewel makes a fantastic trigger that doesn't work properly if even slightly dirty. Not something I'd want in a hunting rifle
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Settled then. Doesn’t seem to be all that difficult to do myself but not having the appropriate tools or any real gunsmithing experience is my holdup to doing it myself. Any gunsmith recommendations around Columbia?

Jack I've used Amick in Gaston before and was pleased.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

What vintage is your M77? I had a tang safety version with an awful trigger. Being careful not to change engagement angles, a little stoning goes a long way. If you are going to hire a gunsmith, you may want to see what they can do to improve your existing trigger before buying a new one.

It is a mark 2 so does not have the Tang safety. Trigger is still not all that good. A lot of creep. Will make some phone calls tomorrow and see what can be done about the factory trigger before purchasing.

Will give them a shout tomorrow Selby. Thank ya sir

You won't regret getting a Timney. I don't know about a 77 but on the savages and 700's the installation is pretty straight forward.

Get the Timney and be done with it. I had a smith clean and polish my trigger and it helped but still didn’t like it. So I went with a timney. He put a jard trigger in it bc it was easier to install. I wasn’t pleased so he was swapping it out the next week. No complaints with the timney. Nice light and crisp. This was in my m77.
    Last edited by bearclaw; 08-01-2018 at 06:46 PM.

http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i22.html

I installed one of his springs in my M77 Scout, honed the engagement surfaces on the trigger while I had it out. Best sub $20 upgrade ever IMO.

Granted, it's no timney, but it is significantly better than the awful factory trigger. Worth a try if you're not dead set on spending $200 on a higher end setup.

I've had TImney , Rifle Basix and Trigger Tech. If properly installed and adjusted they are all good. My rifle Basix developed some side to side play, but I had been thru 2 barrels on that rifle by the time it wore out. I have a TImney Calvin Elite in my 700 match rifle. Its not as clean as the Trigger Tech, but it damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    Good guys. They do a lot of local work for shops without a smith. I think they are closed on Fridays so they can test their work.
    Last edited by rp; 08-02-2018 at 01:46 PM.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

I owned two M77 back several years ago and both of them had the adjustable triggers. they would turn down to the point they would go off when you bolt the gun. I had both mine set at 2lb and never had a issue with them.

Just saw this. I put a Timney in my M77 MarkII some years back and I thought it was a breeze. Just a little dremel work to get the proper safety engagement, and I left mine tight, and it is perfect. I would do it again myself in a heartbeat - nothing there to send it to a gunsmith for, in my opinion. The trigger comes with good instructions and I'm sure there are plenty of Youtube videos on it too.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    This. They do a lot of work for other gun stores. Nice folks.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Amick's does good work.

What simple said. Had a Timney in the M77 I sold last month. I'm no rifle pro but it was a helluva lot better than the oem trigger, I remember that much.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft