Thread: Scope for Deer Rifle

Default Scope for Deer Rifle

I am looking for a new scope for my Model 7 7mm-08. It currently has a cheap 3-9x50 Nikon that does the job killing but lacks in low light. I’m looking for something with higher magnification and better low light capabilities. My shots typically are not over 200 yards, but on occasion can be. I was thinking something like this but would like the opinions of others.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...ex-moa-reticle

Last edited by ccleroy; 07-29-2018 at 10:41 AM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Trijicon accupoint 2.5x10-56 is $689 on optics planet. Trijicon would be my first choice followed by the Leica er5 and Leupold vx3, however I have no experience with the Vortex Vipers so they could be just as good for all I know.

I have extremely pleased with my viper
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I have the ER5 and like it a lot.

There’s better glass out there for that kind of money.

Meopta was all the rage a couple years ago. Are they still one of the best?

I have a cabelas branded meopta. It looks identicle to my old conquest. They can be had real reasonable. I think they are called instinct line. Id buy me a nice leupold though. I like em better.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I have a cabelas branded meopta. It looks identicle to my old conquest. They can be had real reasonable. I think they are called instinct line. Id buy me a nice leupold though. I like em better.
    That’s because Meopta made the Conquest MC for Ziess. The Meopro is the same optic.

Trijicon would be my choice first. I like the Accupoint’s I have a lot but, I have to say the Accupower 3-9X40 I put on my son’s rifle has impressed me. Really depends on your budget and choice of reticle.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I'm no optics pro but I have one of these and for the money it's hard to beat. Eff Walmart though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

That vx3i in the trading post is a good deal if it isn't gone already.

This is a great all around scope. Better glass and mechanics than anything listed above. I've recently gone from an FX3 to one of these on my Model 7. Second choice of anything listed would be the Trijicon. I just don't want a 56mm scope on a compact rifle, but that's a personal preference. The Trijicon is a great scope for standing watch over a corn pile and shooting at silhouettes in the dark. Vortex' s Razor line is top notch and the PST gen 2s are very good, but quality falls off quickly after that IMO.

http://www.opticsagent.com/LEU-VX5HD...-DU_p_756.html

I have a Diamondback HP 4-16-42 and its a damn good scope. I have a Weaver Grand Slam 4-16-44 on another rifle and a Leupold VX3 4-14-50 on another and its way better than the Weaver and probably about as good as the Leupold. I got the Vortex on clearance and wish I would have bought a couple.

you are more than welcome to grab my 7mm-08 and take it for a spin. its got a trijicon 5x22x56 on it. I absolutely love it.

https://www.sportoptics.com/zeiss-co...le-scopes.aspx

We put one of these on my wife's rifle and are very pleased with its performance.