Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Approximate Value: 1997 Key West 1720 CC

Default Approximate Value: 1997 Key West 1720 CC

Just curious, what is the approximate value of a 1997 Key West 1720 CC hull (with trailer) in good shape? Let's talk plain jane here...no electronics, no motor, etc. I know what the NADA says but I'd like to get a real world opinion. If it matters, I just rebuilt the trailer (about $600 worth of parts)...new bunks, rollers, tires, hubs, etc.

Here's why I ask the question...I was having motor issues (Suzuki DT115) and have finally concluded that I have zero compression on the top cylinder. All other cylinders are 140 psi. I took it to a mechanic for his opinion and he says it appears the ring is stuck but isn't 100% sure. Also not sure on what caused it as I haven't turned him loose to do any further investigation at this point. The motor was used in saltwater prior to me purchasing it so yes, it has some corrosion and because of this, I have a feeling it will continue to be a money pit. I'm thinking of parting it out as best I can in an attempt to re-coop at least some of my money. As for the hull, I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do...sell the whole package as-is (including electronics), take what I want off the boat (i.e. lowrance, stereo, vhf, antenna, etc) and try to sell as a stripped down hull or look at re-powering.

This was obviously not expected and my "play" money fund is not in a place right now where I can drop big money on a new engine but I'm weighing my options. I really like the hull and it's a great size for my family right now but I'd like some opinions from those with more experience than I.

Thanks guys.

CW

21 year old hull... it’s worth what someone will pay you for it.

Depending on your urgency to sell. I'd probably take the first $2k offered. You might be able to hold out for $3k.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Depending on your urgency to sell. I'd probably take the first $2k offered. You might be able to hold out for $3k.
    At this point I’m just considering my options but that’s the range I was thinking.

Whaler Dave is right too...it’s a 21 year old hull and it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

text me some pics, I am looking for my next small boat project. Cash in my pocket.
    I am in Irmo and would like to come look at it.
    Thanks
    Last edited by ecu1984; 07-25-2018 at 05:39 PM.

If you do look at repowering, keep in mind that those boats had some issues carrying the weight of four stroke motors.

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown609 View Post
    If you do look at repowering, keep in mind that those boats had some issues carrying the weight of four stroke motors.
    Yep. That’s another issue...

I have looked at the tohatasu tdli motors and the 115 is only 10 lbs heavier than the Suzuki. I’m just not sure if I’m willing to spend almost $10k on a motor right now. I have lots of thinking to do...

115 for that boat seems like a lot. Those usually have a 90hp don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    115 for that boat seems like a lot. Those usually have a 90hp don't they?
    I believe the “standard” package was a 90 but they are rated for a 115. It ran like a scalded dog when it ran...not so good this year. It’s heavy but not too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown609 View Post
    I just spent the last few weeks with a 1700 dc model with the same hull and the transom is very low. I had a 85 Yamaha and with everyone seated the boat would take some wave chop over the transom. There are some nice examples with Yamahas for sale out there with no real issues for the $4-5k range. I was surprised at how much utility I got out of that size hull. Good luck with what ever you do, but I think you should fix it and keep it. The amount of money you would get in its present state is about what others are guessing at best, best. My two cents is to find a used OB, sell your OB as is and happy seas. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

they are turds with 90's on em. I had one. It needs a 115 with anymore than 2 small fellas in it.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I've got a 2000 Scout 175 Sportfish with a 130 Yamaha 2 stroke on it, I couldn't imagine having it powered with a 90 and trying to run it loaded down. I'm not very familiar with the KW 1720 but I imagine its a similar build to my 175 sportfish
    Last edited by ecwooduck; 07-30-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    they are turds with 90's on em. I had one. It needs a 115 with anymore than 2 small fellas in it.
    I was wondering about that...I've never actually been in one with a 90 but hell, I thought the 115 was a little slow at times. I know it's a completely different boat but my buddy has a 18' Cobia CC with a 90 and it's a nice reliable boat but unresponsive and slow with that motor. It's just not the ideal setup IMO.

Having said that...I'm thinking that in the long run I'm going to be happier with something a little bigger so I may just try to sell it as is. My issue with that is the $$ and what someone is willing to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Little RP's does very well with a 90. We are told not to put a 115 on it. And we are told by people who did it.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

To each his own, but these boats weren’t designed to be 50mph boats. I like more power like the next guy, but when they were designed, 90s were standard

My 90 ran fine with 2 people. Ran 40 which was plenty, but it had no ass when you added a 3 or 4th, would do good to run 30 then and took a long time to get there. I like to have a little more motor than I need. That way I don't have to push it to the wood everywhere. I can back down a little and have reserve power if I need it. Mine was the pro model with the seat in the rear and shorter console. The reg 1720 has the flip flop cooler seat and console is more centered.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
    Having said that...I'm thinking that in the long run I'm going to be happier with something a little bigger so I may just try to sell it as is.
    Just let me know

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Just let me know
    I will. I got home from work and started tinkering...got the head cover off and found the issue.

Did you turn it over by hand and look at the cylinder bore? How bad was the cylinder wall scored?

I'd say it might have alittle blow by... New piston, fix that broken head bolt, hone/bore that cylinder and deck the block and you should be back in business.
    Last edited by sftull; 07-30-2018 at 07:51 PM.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies