Thread: Missouri lake tragedy

Default Missouri lake tragedy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-capsizes.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very sad and very tragic that boat should have never been on that lake in that weather. You can bet your sweet ass there will be lawsuits coming.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Very sad and very tragic that boat should have never been on that lake in that weather. You can bet your sweet ass there will be lawsuits coming.
    You did see the part of the article that stated thunderstorms quickly rolled through the area? I'm sure all they were trying to do is get their customers back to safety.

Prayers for all involved.
    Last edited by Luvin' Labs; 07-20-2018 at 06:39 AM.

They had been calling for bad afternoon storms since early that morning. They simply weren't paying close enough attention . Plus had they turned around and went with the wind they may very well have survived.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 07-20-2018 at 06:39 AM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Very sad and I am sure lawsuits will be flying for negligent operation. But, if you have seen the video, there was something wrong with that boat. Other Duck boats passed it. What I don't understand is there was PLENTY of time for all to get a life jacket on. I am having a hard time understanding how 16 people drowned; that is assuming the 5 missing are dead.

I’m out here and rode that storm out inside my grandparents house. It did come about quickly, which they do out here and very different from what we are used to in SC. My wife always asks why the trees out here look and are shaped so different, she got to see first hand why. 60mph winds will literally come out of no where, and if you aren’t on top of the weather cause some major problems. The 60mph winds we had built to 90-100 further south of us. If we had back home what they had here yesterday I would have been out of power for at least a day and the chainsaw would have been run hot.

Not getting into the debate of who was at fault and what should have been done different , just passing on my experience with the same storm. Prayers for the families, rescue workers, and all involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

That’s a big lake too. A mile wide in places and several miles long. Big water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Meathook View Post
    What I don't understand is there was PLENTY of time for all to get a life jacket on.
    A shitty captain.

The vessel looks very front heavy. It was not made for waves. It should have gone with the wind.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    A shitty captain.
    yep. i agree. the boat sank, but it didnt sink very quickly. it also looked like he could have potentially moved some people towards the rear of the boat to keep the nose up a little better.

Where the life jackets? Seems like they would require everyone to wear one. Very sad for all those involved.

Very sad and I am sure lawsuits will be flying for negligent operation. But, if you have seen the video, there was something wrong with that boat. Other Duck boats passed it. What I don't understand is there was PLENTY of time for all to get a life jacket on. I am having a hard time understanding how 16 people drowned; that is assuming the 5 missing are dead.
    This.

Only other explanation is they got trapped in the vehicle.

I agree with you

NO EXCUSE for ALL passengers to not have had life jackets on

Saw on another report these folks do not have to be a USG licensed Captain due to type of vehicle . That makes no sense if true

RIP to those that lost their lives

I expect to see manslaughter charges issued as well

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    This.

Only other explanation is they got trapped in the vehicle.
    in the video the windows were up to keep the rain and wind out

That creates bottlenecks for egress. If it capsized or the bottleneck was under water, I could see a clusterfuck of disorganization and everyone wanting to be the first out.

As far as the boat being front heavy, i can also imagine all of the "qualified captains" on boat rushed to the bridge to "help"

Either no body on board said "shut the fuck up, put on your life jacket and sit down" or nobody on board listened.

And I bet everyone was giggling and getting their instagram posts ready while the captain and mate were holding the Safety meeting with emergency training.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

17 dead now. A vehicle like that is why the military trains in a helo dunker. Like mentioned above there is a severe bottle neck and its every man and woman for themselves.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    17 dead now. A vehicle like that is why the military trains in a helo dunker. Like mentioned above there is a severe bottle neck and its every man and woman for themselves.
    Yep. Been there and done that. Did my NASTP for Class 3 (H-53 Jolly Green) in Pensacola FL. back in the day.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

For those talking about moving people to the front etc.. It is a damned truck from ww2 era meant to ford rivers... Not meant for rough conditions and they semi closed in the passenger compartment making escape difficult. Other wards they weren't wearing life jackets because they were driving around and then drove right into the water. Panicking people, especially those that can not swim, do stupid stuff. Death trap.

f5d87214abe1cab7868293022f01419e--car-stuff-militaria.jpg

Missouri_Boat_Accident_Duck_Boats_29073_49107266_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
    Last edited by mello_collins; 07-20-2018 at 10:30 PM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Turning a wallowing boat, possibly not making way, to go with the sea/wind is also a bad decision.

In one video the first Duck was making good progress into the weather. This one seemed to have some sort of propulsion issue.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    For those talking about moving people to the front etc.. It is a damned truck from ww2 era meant to ford rivers... Not meant for rough conditions and they semi closed in the passenger compartment making escape difficult. Other wards they weren't wearing life jackets because they were driving around and then drove right into the water. Panicking people, especially those that can not swim, do stupid stuff. Death trap.

f5d87214abe1cab7868293022f01419e--car-stuff-militaria.jpg
    Thanks!

When I first heard it on the radio I was kinda baffled. I was thinking about a duck "hunting" boat and I ain't never seen one big enough to hold that many people. Then when I saw the video I was wondering that kind of dang boat that was. It sure wasn't meant for rough water and it was way under-powered. But now with these pictures I know what it was. Those things were never meant for big water. As stated above Table Rock is a decent sized lake, around 45,000 acres, 800 miles of shoreline. Compare that to Lake Thurmond/Clarks Hill which is 71,0000 acres and 1200 miles of shoreline, the 2nd largest man-made lake east of the Mississippi. I've crossed Clarks Hill in a 15' jon boat with a 25hp when a storm came in quick and although I made it across I was totin water and wet all over before I hit the shoreline. Table Rock gets a lot worse winds that we do here. We have enough hills and valleys to break up a lot of the low winds.

I read that the flotation devices were under the seats. But if the passengers were trapped inside they wouldn't have helped much.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."