Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So you have a dog you want trained, let's discuss it

Default So you have a dog you want trained, let's discuss it

I'm making this post in response to Straightshooters post where he took his dog to be trained and ended up with some serious problems.

You wake up one day and decide you want a well trained retriever. What do you do? Well, you have two options, train pup yourself or take it to somone to be trained. Before you decide you need to ask yoursel if you have the patience and are you willing to take the time to learn how to train pup and yourself?

Training Yourself:

Let me clear up one huge misconception before we even begin. It does not take a lot of time each day or every other day to train your dog. Let me say that again, it does NOT take a lot of time each session to train your dog!!! Hell, outside of setup time, 10 or 15 minutes should be more than enough. Even less depending on what your are training on. It is much better to keep the sessions short, keep yours and pups excitement up than to wear each other out. When people say it takes time, most are referring to weeks, months or more depending on the level desired. They don't mean you go out and train an hour per day, killing pup and yourself.

Resources abound here and on the net to help you learn how to train pup yourself. All you need is the desire to learn, plenty of patience and an outdoor area to train on. The outdoor area can be a park, an abondoned lot, a baseball field etc. No matter where you live, I bet something is readily available.

Using a pro trainer:

First, can you afford one and is the family okay with the dog being gone for months to get the proper training?
    How are you going to choose who to send pup to? Recommendations from people who have had their dog trained is one great way to start. I would have two in mind and then go watch them train and interview them. What is the trainers tempertment and patience level like? You will get a good feel of this when you spend some time watching them train other peoples dogs. What is their philosophy on Ecollar use? There are some damn good trainers who use the collar appropriately. There are also those who profess to be pro's who will fry your dog in a damn minute and don't have a clue on proper collar use, especailly when working blinds and casting. Look at the dogs when they are training. Do their dogs look like they are happy and having a good time? Or, are they sulking up to the line and really not displaying any enthusiam which would be a huge red flag for me. For myself the two biggest considerations would be to get a trainer with a great reputation, by asking a lot of people who they use. The next biggest issue is their thoughts on use of the Ecollar and what their methods are. Dogs are ruined all the time because some people still don't have a clue about proper Ecollar use, even though there is s TON of information on the internet etc. about the correct methods.

Finally, finding a trainer with a good reputation is pretty much solved. I have spent some time training with both our sponsors,Rhett Riddle (BayCreek) and Joe Steen(Lakeside Kennels). I would not hesitate to send a pup to either one of those guys, you should call and interview them.

If have decided to do it yourself, there is world of information on the net, there are also a lot of us here who have some experience and would be more than happy to help out. All you have to do is reach out with a post and you will get a lot of help.

I'm sure I left a lot out, so hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts as well. Having a well trained retreiver is very rewarding experience to say the least! Utilize SCDucks and our sponsors to help you get the very best out of your dog!!! Good luck!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Its a shame your dog is soo good and he doesn't get to retrieve shit, because your lack of killing skills...
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Believe or not I have gotten a little better.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Who da hell typed that for you?

ME...BITCH!!!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

I would like to reiterate PATIENCE if training yourself. If you tend to get very angry when things aren’t going correctly, use a pro. A lot of damage can be done to a dog and it’s training if you lose your temper and punish unfairly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.”

I completely agree with you on the aspect of either training yourself or sending the dog off. There are still things that I want to work with as far as training goes but been struggling to find additional information on how. I want to work on casting which I understand the concept and how to do that but the one thing that I cant figure out is to sit on whistle when she is not at my side. I can walk around with her and stop and blow the whistle and give the command to sit and she does it. There are times that she sits when I just blow the whistle but for the life of me I cant get her to sit to the whistle not by my side. Any directions on that would be helpful.

I had stated that I didn't have the time/knowledge to do it myself. I have the desire to do it but didn't want to ruin my dog by doing things wrong. It has been the right choice for me to send mine off. I have learned allot and the trainer spent the entire day with me working on the commands and building my confidence. I went to a hunt test with him and my dog and we passed but that was a learning curve for me because I was green. I fully understand that it doesn't take allot of time but I am gone 12 hours a day due to work. Family members (girlfriend, her son and my daughter) are the ones that takes care of her during the week while I am working. I felt she deserved to be trained properly and that's why I sent mine off.

Just wanted to let everyone know I am not looking for a dog that wins titles or anything like that I want a dog that I can handle in and around the decoys. When training we can throw multiple bumpers and she marks and makes multiple retrieves but have to work on casting with remote sit.
    Last edited by Buckhunter99; 07-19-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Damn good point. A pro should be able to rein in those emotions and handle the situation as a professional, not as a rookie.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

As I stated in my post I train my last dog 15 years ago using the old water dog video. I felt like this time for me I would be doing the dog in injustice if I tried myself . So I looked into sending her somewhere. A guy I work with actually my boss and someone I trust very much sent two dogs to Ray years ago and had no problem. That seems to be the issue, “years ago”! With that being said yeah my dog has a lot of issues right now and I will get through it, But I still stand by my decision to send her somewhere! I do believe it’s my fault for not doing enough research on where I sent my family member! Lesson is DO YOUR RESEARCH!!
    Last edited by StraitShooter; 07-19-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Maybe it doesnt apply to post but the main thing is to get the right pup .
    I used to drink like a fish and run like a dog
    Done a whole lotta shit not permitted by law
    People call me the Picasso of painting the town

I think that sucks for Straitshooter,s dog. I just got a Lab from Low Country lab rescue and would like to train him. He likes to retrieve and play with bumpers. He's about a year old. Do y'all think it's possible? Where would you start? Obviously I've never train one before.I'm still bonding with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelyeller View Post
    Maybe it doesnt apply to post but the main thing is to get the right pup .
    No doubt. The right one makes everybody's job easier. Whether you send pup off or do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Redphish View Post
    I think that sucks for Straitshooter,s dog. I just got a Lab from Low Country lab rescue and would like to train him. He likes to retrieve and play with bumpers. He's about a year old. Do y'all think it's possible? Where would you start? Obviously I've never train one before.I'm still bonding with him.
    Read anything you can get your hands on pertaining to retrievers/retriever training. Find a program and stick with it. Evan Graham's smartworks program is a great program. The book is very detailed and easy to follow. He also has DVD's that go along with the book.
    Last edited by Quack07; 07-19-2018 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitShooter View Post
    As I stated in my post I train my last dog 15 years ago using the old water dog video. I felt like this time for me I would be doing the dog in injustice if I tried myself . So I looked into sending her somewhere. A guy I work with actually my boss and someone I trust very much sent two dogs to Ray years ago and had no problem. That seems to be the issue, “years ago”! With that being said yeah my dog has a lot of issues right now and I will get through it, But I still stand by my decision to send her somewhere! I do believe it’s my fault for not doing enough research on where I sent my family member! Lesson is DO YOUR RESEARCH!!
    It is in the research when selecting a Pro, and that research is very easy.
    You don’t have to want a competing dog (hunt test, field trial) to recognize that the better trainers have clients who do. Those trainers are very involved in the competition world..which makes them very visible.
    Most anyone who are truly involved in a Retriever Club and go to the various competitions, can rattle,off a number of quality names . And do so without having to bash some others.
    Since Rhett is so often spoken of on this board, I’ll use him as an example. (I’ve had help from pros, but never Rhett BTW)
    His dogs are always well kept, he’s respected and liked by everyone, his dogs win, and they’re happy, and he has an arm full of ribbons on Sundays.
    Again, there are many really good Pros in our area...just ask a few people who are really involved in the sport.
    Board Member
    Cherokee Foothills Hunting Retriever Club

Jesus has this place become facebook or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Redphish View Post
    Keep it fun. Get the basic obedience skills down. As soon as you are confident that he has got that, take him on a dove hunt or shoot some live pigeons. You will be surprised how much of it is innate for the dog as long as he is not a total POS. If it doesn't work out, I am sure you will still have a great companion.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    Read anything you can get your hands on pertaining to retrievers/retriever training. Find a program and stick with it. Evan Graham's smartworks program is a great program. The book is very detailed and easy to follow. He also has DVD's that go along with the book.
    Evan is a member on the Duck Hunters Refuge Forum and helps with some advice when needed.

The way I see it is, if you can make the time to hunt, you can make the time to train a dog. It ain't hard, just takes time, patience and persistence.

My first retriever was a 4 year old yard pet of a lab I took in from another family and he turned out to be a damn fine meat dog. Anything's possible with the right approach.

If my ignorant behind can do it just about anyone can.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 07-19-2018 at 11:16 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Damn good point you make Willie. If you could do it I'm damn sure any other knucklehead can do it!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

I think most trainers will tell you that a big part of training a dog is actually training the handler and working with establishing the right relationship between the dog and handler. Even if you do choose to use a pro trainer, plan to devote some time to learning how to work with the dog once the training has begun. I think it's a misconception to think of a dog being "fully trained". It's not like loading apps on your phone. I think of training as an ongoing lifelong relationship with your dog. He learns how to do what you want and you learn how to communicate to him what you want.